boaters choice on engines

Started by GENERAL-Z, March 20, 2007, 06:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

who makes a better engine

yamaha
15 (50%)
mercury
15 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: March 28, 2007, 06:59:52 PM

GENERAL-Z

tell me what your reason for pickin is for what you picked
2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy

shirah86


bugmanjr

WOW man you don't have the Evinrude E-Tec on the list..
That is HANDS DOWN the best outboard ever made!!!
Call a Yamaha or Mercury dealers and ask why there motor is better than a E-Tec they will be lost for words/./.

;)
08 Sportsman 800 HO
08 Sportsman 800 Touring
04 Sportsman 700 12in Lift
81 Honda 200 Three Wheeler
WWW.MRBUGSTERMITEANDPEST.COM

GENERAL-Z

mercury gets a little tiny bit better gas mileage
2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy

SomBch

Yamahas carb 2 strokes are some of the most reliable and best performing engines ever designed for marine use. Mercury has a history of great performance but reliability has always been a question . Its to early to tell what may or may not happen with the E-tec , but it looks good so far.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GENIUS AND STUPID IS THAT GENIUS HAS ITS LIMITS.

GENERAL-Z

i just sold a boat with a mercury that was a 1995 started up fisrt or second time after sitting for 3-5 months at a time neverhad any problems
2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy

live2mud

Mercury's are a pain in the a$$ to work on.plus they arn't reliable.I have 5 boats all with johnsons and I never have any problems.

GENERAL-Z

#7
thats interesting my friend has a johnson and hates it what year is yours
2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy

live2mud

Oh I forgot to mention I have one mercury.It's a 97 model 50hp. It needs a new powerhead.has trim and tilt.FORSALE.My johnsons are in the 90's

GENERAL-Z

97 50s were never that good his johnson was a 99
2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy

psd

I have a 90 mercury classic that has never given nme a lick of trouble,I vote mercury!
2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660
2002 black Ford Excursion PSD
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 80
2011 Yamaha Raptor 125

GENERAL-Z

how come your sign is a yamaha
is it your atv
2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy

FishaHallic


GENERAL-Z

thats a cute one what is it a 25 or a 15
2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy

Redinjun

I always heard, if you want to get there first...get a merc,  if you want to get there and back, get a 'rude.  It was a little hard to hear those omc guys talking while they were so far back, and my merc's always got me back ok.

Alba450

I voted for Mercury 8)

But it really depends what motors your looking at....4-stroke or 2-stroke....Mercury Veradoes or Yamaha 4-Stroke......Mercury OptiMAX or Yamaha HPDI's

Hands down I'll choose the Merc's Veradoe SUPERCHARGERS

For a 2 Stroke i'll either choose a HPDI or the Mercury racing engines......But I'll get the Yamaha HPDI......IMO

I have 95 Hrs on my '05 Mercury Veradoe 250HP and I havent had any problems with them yet(knock on wood) but I did have a problem with my port side engine.  THe fuel float stuck and had to be replaced other than that they are soo freakin quiet....I think their under 55 DB's at IDLE but when you WOT them puppies it's a totally different ball game.
Thanks to my Sponsors at.....

***OMF Performance***
***Liquid Performance***
***Fasst Flexx Handlebars***
***Laeger's Racing***
***AMSOIL Racing***
***VORTEX Racing***
***PowerMadd Handgaurds***

"Your mom? Yeah I know her. She took more shots in the mouth than Stallone in Rocky III"

Alba450

Dont get me wrong the E-TEC's are awesome motors.......I just haven't had any experience with them.  I guess no maintance for 3 Years is like heaven :o
Thanks to my Sponsors at.....

***OMF Performance***
***Liquid Performance***
***Fasst Flexx Handlebars***
***Laeger's Racing***
***AMSOIL Racing***
***VORTEX Racing***
***PowerMadd Handgaurds***

"Your mom? Yeah I know her. She took more shots in the mouth than Stallone in Rocky III"

FishaHallic

15 Hp yammi  ;D.  I has a 8 hp Mercury but after the 2 nd carb kit in less than a year I went with a yamaha and I am glad I did.   This baby starts easier than the merc and runs awesome, I have had it for 2 yrs with no problems.  Go with the Yamaha  :ThumbsUp.gif


gearhead400

gf's dad just put a 40 yamaha 4 stroke on his '16 lowe and it moves pretty damn good with it almost full to capacity. we haul ass when its just me and him goin fishin. He had an 8 horse on it before, it was really reliable but it had zero balls.

randall? where are you at on this subject? you should be able to write a paper on this haha.
Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
   #14
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  [email]gearhead400ex@hotmail.com[/email]

mud.junkie

I choose mercs hands down. I have a 1983 Storm bass boat with a merc 200  and man that thing screams and has never and i mean never given me 1 problem.I am the original owner so i know the motor. I also have a 17' proline center console with a 2000 merc opti 150 and motor has 1600 hours on it and regular maint no problems what so ever.
I do know my nieghbor has a 200 yama hamer and he loves it even though he did just replace the power head

GENERAL-Z

thats what always goes bad on yamaha

ive had both mercury and yamaha yamaha is great on gas but kinda lacks power compared to mercury
2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy

exrider

I fix outboards for a living. They all have there pros and cons. I could tell you something good and bad about every engine listed so far. I have two boats and they both have Suzuki 4 strokes on them. I like to leave my work, at work, and these engines have let me do that.
2000 400ex
2003 300ex
1997 kawi 220
1988 lt80

Sometimes I think the Gene Pool could use some Clorine

xr100racer

the new suzukis kick ass

im selling 2 of them and ill tell you what, if you call within the next 5 minutes ill throw in a boat with them for no extra charge!

http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,22564.0.html

Chevy1500z71

Quote from: Alba450 on March 20, 2007, 08:51:25 PM
Dont get me wrong the E-TEC's are awesome motors.......I just haven't had any experience with them.  I guess no maintance for 3 Years is like heaven :o

e-techs are no beter than any other feul injected 2 stroke, they advertise them like there totaly difrent than anything else out there and there bigest sales point is not having to change oil, instead they burn it, and they viod your warenty if you dont burn synthetic