Painting quad fenders??????

Started by greenmachine, March 15, 2007, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenmachine

I was wondering if anyone has ever painted the fenders on a quad? If so, did it hold up? What type of paint to use? How much for a quart? Can you get it from a body shop?

backinsaddle

You have 2 options that I'm aware of:
Plastic paint in a spray can (I beleive the name is Fusion, you can get it almost anywhere)
Paint it like you would paint a car, the car guys put an additive in for doing plastic bumpers, etc..  You can find these materials at any auto body paint shop...price depends on the type of paint you use...base, metalics, shimmers, etc.  anywhere from $20 or so per quart to hundreds per quart.

there have been previous posts in the past, search for fusion

TRX450R_Racer

Contact Juan AKA Pelele on here. He painted his and it looks sweet! It seems to be holding up really well and he doesn't baby it either.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

greenmachine

You guys better not laugh, I bought a little drr50 for my 4 yr old(almost 5)daughter & it is yellow. Now we all know that no self respecting "Princess" would be caught on anything but pink! Princess wants pink, so daddy has to find a way to keep the spoilage going & make it pink. Her b-day is coming up & I was thinking about a surprise paint job. Thanks for the info everyone.

backinsaddle

How the final product looks/holds up is all in the prep work.  Painting is the easy part.  Just take your time, sand everything down, final with 320 grit should work fine.  Most important is to clean well after sanding, prior to painting.  Use an alcohol/lacquer thinner, something to get all the dirt/fingerprint oils, etc. off.  DO NOT TOUCH after prepping and prior to painting, anywhere you touch will leave an oil stain and the paint will peel.  Where are you located?  If you're anywhere near me, I can spray it for you (if you do all the prep work)



renmus

Do not forget the requisite sparkle and bling a true Princess Mobile must have.

Chuck_Norris

FLEX AGEN , FLEX AGENT.Putting this in with the paint keeps it flexable hence the name

Chillinthemost

I wouldn't paint it. If its yellow now and you paint it pink then as soon as her riding boots wear through the rear fender and side plastic, mixed with scratches from branches and stuff you will be left with a rough looking pink and yellow machine. How about painting the removable metal parts: bars, bumpers, etc. pink seast cover?
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

pelele

Quote from: TRX450R_Racer on March 15, 2007, 06:55:34 PM
Contact Juan AKA Pelele on here. He painted his and it looks sweet! It seems to be holding up really well and he doesn't baby it either.


Thanks Frank.....

Well i used yacht paint which is still a single stage paint...(old school) 2 part paint...
The main thing is the prep work!!!1

Sand it down very well...... then spray  adhesion promoter.... (finish masters or sherwin williams.)
Then an epoxy primer.... like  a 2k primer  (automotive) and then the paint of choice..... add plenty of clear on it.....
Keep it clean and waxed!!

Good luck
04 RAPTOR 660R CHAMELEON
03 LT-Z400 YELLOW

www.atvmiaxtreme.com
www.raptorforum.com
www.z400central.com

[url="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/peleleman/raptor/rap5banner.jpg"]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/peleleman/raptor/rap5banner.jpg[/url]

Chillinthemost

Keep it clean and waxed? We actually ride the crap out of ours.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

greenmachine

Thanks for all the input, but thinking about the scratches has me worried. I may just do a pink flame job with pinstripe tape instead. But thanks again for all the good info.

1slowfox

I painted the gas tank cover on my banshee with krylon fusion , suprisingly it held up really well , I cleaned it up really well hit it with a FINE grit paper (wet sand) and sprayed the paint w/ a promoter an never had a problems w/ cracking or chiping and thats washing it with a pressure washer after almost every ride . The only thing I ever had even put a dent in it was 103 octane and even then it wasn't bad.
I <3 Fiberglass !