Spin Doctoring

Started by digginfool, March 13, 2007, 11:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digginfool

I followed a link to the government's ATV safety website and found an interesting 'fact.'  Their statistics show that there were 1.1 deaths per 10,000 4-wheel ATVs used in 2005.  Hmmmmm.  Let's see how that works out on our nation's highways.  As I have pointed out in the past, there are approximately 45,000 deaths on our roads each year.  A safe assumption of 150 million motor vehicles results in a ratio of 1 death for every 3,333 motor vehicles.  Extrapolating that to 10,000 leads to 3 deaths for every 10,000 motor vehicles on the road.  YIKES!!!! We better sell all our cars and jump on ATVs.  Hell, they are nearly as safe as airplanes!

http://www.atvsafety.gov/stats.html
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

Ida_Mann

I like it,,,,,but wouldn't this mean that it's more dangerous to tke an ATV on the road with the other vehicles? ;-)

or does it mean that people driving ATVs are more careful than the general public when operating their "death machines" ;-)

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Busta Nutt

More people drown in swimming pools every year than die on atv's. I haven't heard of any bans on swimming pools yet.

qt314nfla

Quote from: wilburzbro on March 14, 2007, 06:20:39 PM
More people drown in swimming pools every year than die on atv's. I haven't heard of any bans on swimming pools yet.

You've got a point there.  Despite the requirement to have safety precaution fences around pools for children.  Backyard pool drowning still remains the number one cause of death of children under the age of 5 in Florida.

dynodon

Sounds like you guys should go around a chalk outline bodies on the sidewalks now !! (just like the TRUTH ad campaign)LOL-------------JOKE--------- So dont come looking for me, I know your point, and I agree with it ;)
The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com