Painting frame

Started by hondarider95, January 20, 2007, 06:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hondarider95

Ok, I am pulling the engine on my 400ex(as some of you may have read). So I am going to go ahead and paint the frame while I am at it, cause its go some light rust spots in some places, and the paint is worn too. I was thinking powder coat first, until I saw how much it is. Then I read that pj1 frame paint works well. I was thinking about getting paint stripper on it, pressure washing it, sanding it, 1-2 coats prime, 3-4 coats of paint, 1-2 clear coat. What do you all think?

The other question is what color? I am thinking the following:
1. black frame/subframe and red a-arms
2. black frame/subframe and black a-arms
3. same original silver paint

Let me know what you all think would look best. Anyone got any pictures of painted frames? Anyone ever used that pj1 stuff?




Toomey

Either all silver or all black.  The red and black combo screams done at home paint job for some reason.
Looking for a junker dirt bike project.

klutchbuster400

I say blue!
Lmk's 400ex looked awesome in red and blue.

Eric5555

[url="http://www.cashcrate.com/index.php?ref=237418"]http://www.cashcrate.com/index.php?ref=237418[/url]

2007 kx250f
2006 kx250f
2003 rm250

FOR SALE:
2003 rm250
-MESSAGE ME

TRX450R_Racer

Anything except stock colors.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

cutngrs

take it and get it sandblasted  its only about $30  well worth it  its a pain in the a$$ doin it your self
THE ORANGE CRUSH BANSHEE  
WWW.MYBANSHEE/IS/FASTER/THAN/YOURS.COM
IF YOU WANT TO RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS GIVE US A CALL

hondarider95

Thanks for all the input. I think I will go all black frame/subframe and a-arms. Will it look ok if I leave my swing arm silver, I think so, but just checking to see what you all think. Also has anyone used this pj1 paint? I pulled the engine out tonight. I got to open it up and see what all I need. But I plan to order my piston, rings, timing chain, gasket kit, and a bunch of that frame paint tomorrow. Then I can start striping down the frame while I wait for my parts to come in. I will get you all some pics.

xr100racer

Quote from: cutngrs on January 21, 2007, 04:17:42 AM
take it and get it sandblasted  its only about $30  well worth it  its a pain in the a$$ doin it your self

Indeed

hondarider95

How many cans of paint do you think it will take? I was thinking the following:

2-3 cans of primer
5-6 cans of black
3-4 cans of clear

Let me know what you all think. I want to order this paint asap. Also I think I will get it sand blasted.

Also I started tearing down the engine today, will finish tomorrow and take necessary measurements to figure out what all I need to order. Check out my other post for more info.

TRX450R_Racer

That should be more than enough.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

hondarider95

So should I get this?

2 cans primer
5 cans paint
3 cans clear

Hows that sound? I want to try and get this stuff ordered asap.

TRX450R_Racer

Quote from: hondarider95 on January 22, 2007, 04:17:59 PM
So should I get this?

2 cans primer
5 cans paint
3 cans clear

Hows that sound? I want to try and get this stuff ordered asap.

I think so.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

hondarider95

So should I go ahead and order that? How many cans does each coat take? They are 16oz cans. I was thinking a coat per can or can and a half. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks