ONF Trail System

Started by IT200, January 13, 2007, 04:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IT200

I wanted to give everyone some information on the trail system in ONF. How many of you know that the trail markers were installed by trail ranger volunteers? Can you guess how many trail markers have allready been destroyed by inconsiderate riders / hunters who don't agree with there purpose. The marked trail system requires a tremendous amount of maintenance, this is done by the volunteers. When the system was first installed there were markers at every intersection and fork. The trail rangers have replaced numerous markers allready. But there are only a few volunteers and this is time we donate to the forest. So if you really want the trail system to work for you and your family perhaps you should join the trail rangers and help out instead of sitting in front of your computer and complaining, (saying what have you done for me lately) maybe then you would have a greater understanding of what were trying to accomplish for everybody.
Polaris 500 4x4
Yamaha Warrior
Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4
Suzuki DRZ 400

Ida_Mann

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

banana-man

Set up a hassle free station where the markers can be easily picked up along with the coordinates of where thay should be, and I'm sure there will be no shortage of people to help mark the trail.  I'm going up again prob next month.  If this is set up, I'll set out some markers.

I have seen many blank markers, and 1 downed marker.  If people are pulling them out on purpose, they're azzholes and should be beaten....if caught, revoke their privledge to ride in the woods forever.  This is a loosing battle, if this is true, and nothing is in place to easily get the markers back up.  A few a-holes can ruin this for everyone!!!!


Stewards

It is not only just putting the posts into the ground it is also a matter of marking the corsites properly. Will the corsites be already marked with the proper stickers??

Stewards

lisa

  Perhaps you can also educate the folks while out there, that if they destroy the markers, they are ruining what little chance they have of keeping the trail system free and open!  I agree with the motive of those destroying them, but I don't agree with the destruction.

   I feel the frustration of those that are destroying the markers. Some of it is kids vandalising, but some of it are those who are frustrated that ONF is being closed down and no one is fighting hard enough to keep the trails open! It is not just ONFA but also Fl4WDA. Forestry needs to be sued for the closures. Someone needs to step up and do it. But I digress....

   My point of this post, don't just condemn those that are doing the vandalising, but understand the mentality here in the South. These folks have had free run of their forest for many generations, now they have some up-shot government dandie in here telling them what they can and can not do in their forest!
In His Hands,
Lisa
In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1904