Main Menu

GPS

Started by CABLEGUY1, March 08, 2005, 09:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CABLEGUY1

I'm looking to buy a GPS in the near future. Is there such a thing as your basic GPS and a more extravagant GPS? How much do they start at? And one more stupid question. Do they all have to be wired into the bike or are there battery operated GPS systems? Oh yeah, does anyone have one for sale?   Thanks.

Toomey

Most of them are hand held.  Those big 4x4's are the ones that have them built in, but you can pick up a normal handheld one for $150 I'm sure.  There are your basic ones and there are your expensive ones, just buy what you need.  And the hand held ones you use batterys and you can buy a little bracket so that you can put it on the handlebars while riding.
Looking for a junker dirt bike project.

warrior123

i dont know much about them but i have a garmin etrex and love it it is extensive enough for me all it shows is the trail you took i know there are ones that show roads and get very extensive my etrex was like 125$ i think its the cheapest on the market runs off 2 aa batterys.

CABLEGUY1

Thanks for the info Toomey. I have the worst sense of direction whether it be on the water or in the woods. I just want a basic one that will get me back close to camp.

Toomey

Ours was a cheapy one I think, but it still tells you all you gotta know.  You just gotta fugure out how to use the little critter.  :o
Looking for a junker dirt bike project.

Chuck_Norris

I bought my magellan for $36.00 from Ebay. downloaded the service manual. all it has is and arow that point me in the direction  I want to go. has mph and coordinates no pictures of trails or roads.

odie

A feature you might want is to be able to enter lat& longs in from home.I have a garmin rino 120(got from e-bay) it has the 2-way radio built in . most of my waypoints I got from other riders and entered in before we left home.we ride ocala a lot and you can get lost(at least I can).

sk8r_dude

GPS's like anything can be out grown and you will wish for more. Make sure what you buy is able to hold optional software for trails or mapping. I have a Magellan Sport Track Map and it served me well for 6 months, but it cannot compare to a mack daddy unit like my Garmin 276c with optional topo trail maps. When you are in the middle of the swamps or woods its a comfortable feeling that your GPS can show you your options both where you want to go and different ways to get back. However, any unit will track your movements and show you the same way back. At a minimum, thats what we need a GPS to do.
05 Grizzly 660, 2500 winch, Garmin 276c GPS, Quad Boss trunk

05 Grizzly 660 Camo, 2500 winch, Quad Boss trunk 

[url="http://www.beachinlineskates.com/"]http://www.beachinlineskates.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.123skate.com/"]http://www.123skate.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.store.yahoo.com/beachinlineskates/"]http://www.store.yahoo.com/beachinlineskates/[/url]
[url="http://www.authorized-sunglasses-watches.com"]http://www.authorized-sunglasses-watches.com[/url]

stump66

GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!

jbbj220

I have an E-Trex that is real easy to use. Has gotten me back to camp more than one time. $100 @ Best Buy and sometime on sale for $89.
you don't stop rideing because you get old, you get old because you stop rideing

racemanfl

Sk8r_dude I to have the sporttrac and you can buy the topo map for it, I have the street maps if you want them Jerry
It has almost all of the trails in ocala and some at RR

sk8r_dude

Thanks Raceman. I keep my Sport Track as a back up GPS in case my Garmin goes down. My Garmin 276 color has me spoiled.
05 Grizzly 660, 2500 winch, Garmin 276c GPS, Quad Boss trunk

05 Grizzly 660 Camo, 2500 winch, Quad Boss trunk 

[url="http://www.beachinlineskates.com/"]http://www.beachinlineskates.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.123skate.com/"]http://www.123skate.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.store.yahoo.com/beachinlineskates/"]http://www.store.yahoo.com/beachinlineskates/[/url]
[url="http://www.authorized-sunglasses-watches.com"]http://www.authorized-sunglasses-watches.com[/url]

IT200

For good prices on gps go to www.gpsdiscount.com
Polaris 500 4x4
Yamaha Warrior
Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4
Suzuki DRZ 400

jandccnfl

Hello,
     I have a Magellan meridian color map that I would not travel without.  My dad has a similar unit that is not color that works just as well, and his batteries last longer.  I think any of the popular brands would be just fine, but I would suggest getting a gps that has a map and available mapping software.  The maps really give you perspective of your location and I would have never found many of the small lakes, and streams just off the path without it.

Have Fun,
     Jim

KFXhead

Boaters World has one on closeout sale right now for $79.99.

odie

I noticed my gps does not nave the dirt roads in ONF is there any way to download this I only have 8 MB of memory.???

Aquiles

Try    http://www.mall24-7.com/     They have the lowest prices on garmin stuff that I could find.  

Aquiles
WOAH! WAIT! Where the hell are we?  :p

backinsaddle

If you have a West Marine near you, they will match advertised price.

KFXhead

#18
Sorry, I am an avid fisherman & West Marine will NOT match any price you can find on the internet. They have been bashed repeatedly on the Florida Sportsman Fishing Forum for not standing behind their policy on mainly electronics, gps, radar, depthfinders, etc... The manager will tell you that the price you are seeing on the net is likely a reconditioned product & they will not match it. I have never seen a cheaper GPS than $79.99 at boaters world. It is all you need for the trails. BTW it is the Magellan Explorist 100 which is $93+shipping at mall24-7.

TRX350_On_The_Rack

Amazon.com has great prices on a GPS. I got the Megellan Meridan Gold for $179.00 w/ expandable memory slot for downloading maps (which you need when your offroad). I also got the bike handlebar mount and power adapter that cost me an extra $40.00. It was one the best things I ever did.
[url="http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg"]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg[/url]

Bigscrb15

I use my cellphone that has built in GPS and I subscribe to 2 programs for it. One is the TeleNav for street level navigation in my truck, and the other is Trimble Outdoors Platinum. The telenav for the truck works great! talks to you and everything, but I have not had a chance to use the trimble much, it tracks ur trail to follow the same one back and also allows you to send maps to the unit OTA(over-the-air) from your computer so you dont need a cord.


http://www.telenav.net
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Moose

I got the new Garmin 76c mapping, just like the 276 but smaller. 4x4 books and gps city have good prices. Got mine at 4x4 books when garmin first released them, even got it before West Marine did. Love it, 125mb memory built in, runs like 30 hrs on two AA batteries.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen