BigScrub brothers. I need help on laminate flooring.

Started by Smoknbanshee, January 01, 2007, 07:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoknbanshee

I need some help on laminate flooring.  what to accomplish something like a maple or hickory medium look.  want the best bang for my buck.  would like the improved underlayment.  want to stay less than $2.00 / sq. ft.  I am ready to purchase and install ASAP.  where should do I need to go to get it?  I have heard you can get it real cheap in GA, but is there a flooring store in Central Florida that is known for the continued low prices?  I have a pit bull and a jack russell terrier, so let me know if staying under $2.00 / sq. ft. is realistic.  Thanks, Smoke.
Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!

bigscrub79

It is a decent price for some half way decent stuff. If you go a big place like Home Depot or Lowes you may find something. We have one thats 2.00 just for the laminate and .60 for the upgraded pad. The bigger places you can get the floor cheaper and the pad included should be a little cheaper than us. Just PM with the product you are lookin at before you buy. I let you know whats the best to go with.
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

Smoknbanshee

will do thanks man.  we were planning on doing this later this year, but my jack russell destroyed her crate while we were out partying the new year.  she tore the crate up and then tried to get out of the bedroom and tore the carpet up in that room.  all because of some fireworks in our neighborhood, so we are doing the floor thingy now instead of later.  hopefully my wife will have a few picked out this week and I will shoot you a PM on them.
Thanks,
Smoke
Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!

AmericanRobster

Try JB Carpet world in St. Pete. They are awesome! My uncle and I bought flooring out of there for a house in North Port. Great people. Great prices!
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

Bigscrb15

Quote from: americanrobster on January 02, 2007, 12:12:38 AM
Try JB Carpet world in St. Pete. They are awesome! My uncle and I bought flooring out of there for a house in North Port. Great people. Great prices!

I would be leary of JB Factory Carpets. I have heard numerous horror stories about them and their customer service. Stick to the Mom & Pop shops that care about you and the products they sell. The big box stores are ok if you know exactly what you need and don't want to spend a lot of money.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

KB



I would be leary of JB Factory Carpets. I have heard numerous horror stories about them and their customer service. Stick to the Mom & Pop shops that care about you and the products they sell. The big box stores are ok if you know exactly what you need and don't want to spend a lot of money.
[/quote]


I agree allot of those retail stores will sub it out to the cheapest guy's they can find. You'd be lucky if they could speak english. Jason I'll give you a call & see if I can help you out. You could check out www.hardwoodinstaller.com There's a message board on that site. The CHEAPEST laminate I could get you is @ $1.50 sq. ft. & that includes the pad.

CABLEGUY1

We got ours at Sams Club and they were cheaper than Home Depot and Lowes.Theirs also has the underlayment attached to it and they were still cheaper with several different colors to choose from. It's been holding up pretty good to.

SomBch

try Mannington Laminates, had the whole house done , and its holding up great under my two bird dogs punishment.  I got their  Maple and its quite nice. But you really cant go wrong with any of the manufacturers, no one makes a bad product, it ultimately comes down to material price and labor cost if you dont want to tackle it yourself. I  believe we  paid about $2.75 SF , Florida Carpet and Tile , WPB
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GENIUS AND STUPID IS THAT GENIUS HAS ITS LIMITS.

Bigscrb15

Quote from: SomBch on January 06, 2007, 02:56:48 PM
try Mannington Laminates, had the whole house done , and its holding up great under my two bird dogs punishment.  I got their  Maple and its quite nice. But you really cant go wrong with any of the manufacturers, no one makes a bad product, it ultimately comes down to material price and labor cost if you dont want to tackle it yourself. I  believe we  paid about $2.75 SF , Florida Carpet and Tile , WPB

I will agree. We are a Mannington Dealer and their products are great. They are also cheaper than some other brands.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

dynodon

I agree with scrib on this one!!! Stay with the ( Mom & Pop ) places, you know first hand, you will recieve better service !!!!! ;D

Good luck with it, If you need some help, you know to call me brotha !!!!!!
The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it

Bigscrb15

Quote from: CABLEGUY1 on January 06, 2007, 02:05:48 PM
We got ours at Sams Club and they were cheaper than Home Depot and Lowes.Theirs also has the underlayment attached to it and they were still cheaper with several different colors to choose from. It's been holding up pretty good to.

The only thing you must be careful with is the ones that have attached underlayment. The most important reason for underlayment is to stop moisture from coming up through your slab/crawlspace. The attached underlayment does not protect moisture from coming up at the joints. You should still lay a visquine under the flooring.

Another common problem we see with cheaper material is a 2-3year life span(if even) What happens is you will start seeing white showing through where the decorative layer has already worn off. Remember warranties are only as good as the companies you buy them from. Most companies will not warrant material if it is installed by the homeowner or anyone other than an actual installer.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com