The Protest against the SFWMD today

Started by Thrumud, November 29, 2006, 03:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thrumud

Update: Today the SFWMD & DEP held an event to celebrate a 2 year progress in the Picayune Strand Forest, better known as Everglades Restoration Project. This is the area that was taken away from us 3 years ago –aka (Badluck / Squares). There were government agencies, environmental groups, tribe members, law enforcement and plenty of media coverage. From the minute we showed up all eyes were on us, they knew who we were. Seconds after a Fox 4 news reporter asked to interview us, Mario an avid ATV rider from Naples took the lead. He was great ! 

The event started at 10 am and ended at 11:15, we did not disturb the event, we waited for them to finish. Before the last speech, the head of the SFWMD said "We acknowledge that the ORV community needs a place to ride and we are working to find a suitable location for them to practice their sport – We understand that they are very frustrated and that they have been set aside."  My personal opinion ... she said this because the media was there.  They want to look good. She went on to say that they are working hard to find the land. Yeah right my a$$.

Soon after the speech ended I interrupted out loud by asking Clarence Tear from the SFWMD about the 640 acres that was promised to us. He looked at me like I threw a brick at him but was man enough to stand there and reply to our questions. The minute we spoke we were surrounded by reporters, cameras and microphones. THAT'S WHAT WE WANTED !!! Mario took the lead with the TV reporters and I spoke with the paper reporters.  FINALLY, Clarence Tears proposed to have a private meeting with the ATV community and reach some agreement for a temporary location meanwhile a permanent location is found. He said he will schedule the meeting at night so more riders can show. ( No Excuse this time members ).

The strangest thing that happened was that a couple of FWC officers said "it's about time you guys do something" They support us and said we did a great job.

Will keep ya'll posted on the SFWMD meeting.  Remember guys we were your voices out there today.   

Thanks to: Chino & his friend who drove over 2 hours to be there, Pete from Hialeah who also drove over an hour to be there, Matt- his family and the firefighter, Mario for keeping his cool cause I would have lost it. Rick for your words of wisdom.

WE WILL NOT GIVE UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[url="http://www.floridaatvrally.com/images/Rally_Signature.png"]http://www.floridaatvrally.com/images/Rally_Signature.png[/url]

eldiablo64

I would like to thank everyone that did show up.unfortunately i could not get off work as well as many others wish I could have made it great job guys. ps I will be at any that are on a weekend and after jan.1st when i have more vacation time   thanks
TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

YELLOW RR

thanks to all who showed up to fight for our cause ;)
2007 LTR450

lswjth2

Thrumud, all of atvflorida owe you a BIG THANKYOU for your hard work and unrelenting determination. Please let us know when the sfwmd meeting wil be.....Take care and thank you again......

miamigirlrider

GREAT JOB GUYS!!!! I have been calling you Dennis to know what happened but no response. I wish I could have attended but I already have to take more time off next Wednesday to meet up with Parks and Recreation to find out the outcome with the Study. I will let you all know.

Again, great job guys, now keep the heat on there ass. and thanks for all your hard word and dedication.
[url="http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9546/carissig18yv1bm.jpg"]http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9546/carissig18yv1bm.jpg[/url]

450rcrazy

thank you for speaking on our behalf and I hope to catch something about it on the news. :Clap.gif

Sloth

Keep pushing guys.  I saw a small blurb about the riding situation in ATV Magazine.  Sounds like things are starting to pick up momentum.  Thanks for all your efforts.
2009 Polaris 850xp- 28" Zillas, Warn XT30

qt314nfla

I couldn't get today off either so I'd like to join the others in thanking you for your efforts and for being able to attend and show support.

renmus


twitch

I don't get down to south Fl but for those of you that went...
:bow.gif :Clap.gif :bow.gif :Clap.gif :bow.gif :Clap.gif :bow.gif :Clap.gif :bow.gif :Clap.gif :bow.gif
2007 Honda Rancher 400 AT
3000lb champion winch
k&n filter

myspace/captn__john

JackL

That's great!!
Sure sucks I was 1/2 hour late. Hope to catch it on the news tonight.
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Gato

I was there and sfwmd guy Tears told us he would meet with us on a weekend or night meeting so more people have a chance to go so now you guys can't give any excuses
2008 Yamaha Rhino 700FI(camo)
2002 Arctic Cat 400i 4x4
2010 Arctic CAt 700 h1

1FasterBlaster

I hope the medie gives us some good coverage.I got to stick my two cents in and say something for the northside riders.Hopefully, next time more people will be able to show up!!

Gato

2008 Yamaha Rhino 700FI(camo)
2002 Arctic Cat 400i 4x4
2010 Arctic CAt 700 h1

dreth

i too thank you for your efforts and will make any weekend or after hour meeting. lets keep em on the ropes.

bigscrub79

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! If they have a weekend meeting let me know and I will be there. If it is a night meeting I will do what I can to be there. Good job guys.
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

1FasterBlaster

Wait till I develop pics of how I showed up. I hope I ticked someone off!! I had big white letters on three sides of my black Tahoe.
  C.ancel
  E.veryone's
  R.ecreational
  P.lans

SkyHighT100

Awesome job, thank you!! Glad to hear a few of those members are on our side.. or at least sounded like they were. Great job!
The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list :)

[url="http://www.myspace.com/humrz28"]http://www.myspace.com/humrz28[/url]

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com