FairTax

Started by gatorjohn, November 20, 2006, 10:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you for it?

Yes
24 (88.9%)
No
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: December 20, 2006, 10:57:50 AM

gatorjohn

He is a Republican and is the bills sponsor in congress. The idea came from economists from several major universities. If enough of the peoples voices are heard (write to your congressmen and senators) this could be law by the 08 election.

Bigscrb15

I hope it is law soon. Would solve A LOT of our problems. Look at Canada, they pay 15% sales tax on everything and they get free health care. imagine what we could do with 23% on new our stuff.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

dnigels

I cast a No vote.  The problem I see is the big ticket items (house, autos), the logic that the pass through costs will be eliminated thereby reducing the base price of items, is a pipe dream that WILL NEVER happen folks.  I am in favor of a flat rate 15% income tax.  We can than take the current tax code and throw it on a bonfire.

Canada's free health care sucks so bad, most people who need any timely or detailed treatment travel to the U.S. and pay huge (no insurance) for it.
'06 Yamaha 350 Wolverine
'06 Yamaha PW80
'07 Chevy Silverado 1500 [url="//ext.cab"]Ext.cab[/url]

Mr. Fixit

With a flat tax illegals still do not pay taxes and we still support them. With the fair tax they do pay taxes and take the bourdon off us.

Mr. Fixit

As far as houses and autos,if two dealers are selling the same car,they will always try to under cut each other. The same as two gas statoins on the same corner. If one is priced at 2.20 and one at 2.25 where are all the people going to get gas. Soon the other will drop his price to stay competitive. 

tat2mike

what about property taxes i suppose they will be affected as well right?   

Formally tecatemike

Bigscrb15

Quote from: tat2mike on November 22, 2006, 07:53:01 AM
what about property taxes i suppose they will be affected as well right?  



No, you will still pay property tax because that is on the local level. Fair Tax is just Federal
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

dnigels

Quote from: Mr. Fixit on November 22, 2006, 07:37:42 AM
With a flat tax illegals still do not pay taxes and we still support them. With the fair tax they do pay taxes and take the bourdon off us.

The govt. could certainly do more to combat illegal aliens.  But the biggest problem is the greed of the American Citizen (me included).  Don't hire illegal aliens!  Supply and demand dictates if they don't have any money (taxed or not taxed) the problem, as far as whether they pay tax on it is moot.  They can't buy goods either, so the attraction of coming here will be diminished considerably.

I don't want to pay to support illegal aliens either!

The money made from taxing 15% of the mega-rich incomes (much of which is now loop-holed out) is 100 fold more than what we are shelling out for illegal alien support programs and lost taxes.

Combine these ingredients, and I believe you will have a winner!  Thats just my 2cts.
'06 Yamaha 350 Wolverine
'06 Yamaha PW80
'07 Chevy Silverado 1500 [url="//ext.cab"]Ext.cab[/url]

Quadracer

I think it is a great tax!
#0 06 YFZ 450 50th Ann
05 Ford F-150 FX4 Crew Cab
Flowmaster Exhaust
K&N Full Out
www.myspace.com/atvrider65

dreadhed

Quote from: dnigels on November 21, 2006, 06:33:23 PM
I cast a No vote.  The problem I see is the big ticket items (house, autos), the logic that the pass through costs will be eliminated thereby reducing the base price of items, is a pipe dream that WILL NEVER happen folks.  I am in favor of a flat rate 15% income tax.  We can than take the current tax code and throw it on a bonfire.

Canada's free health care sucks so bad, most people who need any timely or detailed treatment travel to the U.S. and pay huge (no insurance) for it.
The tax would only be on new cars & homes.  Just think how many taxes are in a new house now.  Everyone who works on the house & all of the supplies have taxes that are passed on the the buyer.  I like the Fair Tax, but I would also take for the flat tax over the current system.

scamutz

The way I see it, the best thing about the Fair Tax is that I don't get penalized for the amount of money that I work to earn.  AND, I am in control of how much tax I pay.  If I don't want to pay excess taxes, don't buy new cars, grow a garden, drink more water, etc. etc.  Reality is that i'm probably too lazy to do those things, but as least I'm in control...  I don't see that there's a loser anywhere.
scamutz

gatorjohn

Quote from: scamutz on November 25, 2006, 09:06:15 PM
The way I see it, the best thing about the Fair Tax is that I don't get penalized for the amount of money that I work to earn.  AND, I am in control of how much tax I pay.  If I don't want to pay excess taxes, don't buy new cars, grow a garden, drink more water, etc. etc.  Reality is that i'm probably too lazy to do those things, but as least I'm in control...  I don't see that there's a loser anywhere.

All excelent points! Please check out the website and sign the petition. The more names the better.

dnigels

The talk is the use tax on new items replacing income tax.  Incom tax is Federal.  Current sales taxes are State taxes.  THEY ARE NOT GOING AWAY!
'06 Yamaha 350 Wolverine
'06 Yamaha PW80
'07 Chevy Silverado 1500 [url="//ext.cab"]Ext.cab[/url]

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com