Anyone know how to re-wind awning?

Started by Mudneck, November 14, 2006, 04:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudneck

I had to take mine apart and have canvas re-sewn. In doing so I had to drill out the rivits in the metal cylinder that rolls out to get the spline out to unhook it from the cylinder. Now Ive got to re-spin the roll after I insert the canvass & spline to give it tension for the roll up & pull down. Has anyone ever re-spun it.Is there a specific number of turns to not overwind it? There is about a 2' spring around a shaft in both ends somehow that needs to be tightened to allow the awning to extend & retract.I am pretty sure it needs a certain amount of turns to work properly. Anyone ever do this?
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

dynodon

I had to rewind ours , on our fifth wheel. But that was a few years ago, and my brain doesnt go that far back ( I suffer from CRS), But I believe It takes one full turn per foot of canvas.
I will see if I still have the directions in our folder for the fifth wheel, If so I will post it for you
The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it

Ida_Mann

I would say you measure how long the awning is, then get a diameter of the roll and divide the inch measurement by the inch measurement of the roll and turn it back that many times or maybe another turn or two.

never done it before, but I'd say it's a trial and error kinda job.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

digginfool

I did it once....  I took it to the dealer and watched!!  Nothing's too difficult for the man who doesn't have to do it himself!!   ;) :D
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

Mudneck

I think I will wait for dynodon thanks for your .03 its good for a laugh.

Its about a 14' awning so I guess 14 turns. The challenge is it needs to be rivetted back together so for trial & error it sucks since it would have to be re-done every try. I will get a call in to the manufacturer tomorrow. I assume all the awnings are similar no matter what brand.

Thank's!
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

450R_Matt

You should have got an antique awning... ;) They last a long time... :o Mine still works fine on the RV  :R 
Proud to still own one of the badest quads ever built
               The Honda TRX250R
Got rid of the 4 poke and resurrected another dinosaur

Mudneck

Funny Guy. Thanks for the Help,How are the strippers doing?  8) I guess they just dont build em like they did 25 years ago when you got your camper. :'(

We were out at RR and a storm blew through even though we lowered awning the wind got up under it & tore the canvass right along the edge of the rail it mounts to on the camper.It was an easy repair fpr the canvass so now we got toi get this thing rewound.
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

450R_Matt

Quote from: bushwacker on November 14, 2006, 09:04:46 PM
Funny Guy. Thanks for the Help,How are the strippers doing?  8) I guess they just dont build em like they did 25 years ago when you got your camper. :'(

We were out at RR and a storm blew through even though we lowered awning the wind got up under it & tore the canvass right along the edge of the rail it mounts to on the camper.It was an easy repair fpr the canvass so now we got toi get this thing rewound.

Leaving Wednesday to go camping with the stripers in Homested.... :o Taking old faithful till Monday
Proud to still own one of the badest quads ever built
               The Honda TRX250R
Got rid of the 4 poke and resurrected another dinosaur

Mudneck

HAve FUN and make sure your AAA is paid up!
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com