Thumb Throttle or Twist?

Started by khooping, October 17, 2006, 09:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khooping

I've always used a thumb throttle on my four wheelers but I've really only trail ridden or ridden hard for short burst of 20 or 30 min.  I rode the hare scramble at Madison 2 weeks ago and found that my thumb was really getting cramped up......towards the end, I couldn't even make my thumb do what I wanted it to and was wrapping my fingers around the bars using them to pull the throttle. javascript:void(0); I was wondering what others experiences have been with thumb vs. twist.javascript:void(0);
Z-400
Full HMF Pipe
Jet Kit
Denton Steering Dampener
Renthal Bars
Dominator Rear
Complete Skids

TRX250EX
Full HMF Pipe, Jet Kit
Rev Box
K&N Filter
Full Skids

dreth

i tried to switch and it didnt go well ??? i almost hit 2 trees so i switched back.

what quad do you ride? if its a yfz have you done the spring mod to make it easier?

UncleRico

#2
I prefer the thumb over the twist on a quad! 

The twist is akward on a quad, it makes for some uncontrolable close calls. I guess if you use it all the time, you would probably get use to it though.

You might consider what they call a thumb extender if you suffer from "hitch hiker fatigue".

When I ride with people who don't normally ride, I often hear them mention thumb fatigue, but I chalk that up to lack of riding.

How often do you ride?

Here's the link for the thumb extender = http://www.amazon.com/Thumb-Assist-ATV-Throttle-Extension/dp/B0000CEZA4/sr=1-1/qid=1161172474/ref=sr_1_1/102-6124129-9019350?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

BIGWORM3699 ( ECP RACING)

I am also a thumb guy  :ThumbsUp.gif I did at 1 time have a twist throttle and came off a ramp nose high which cause me to add more throttle since I was falling backwards so I learned my lesson and whent back to the trusty thumb throttle.
East Coast Performance Mini Quad is your
Official Apex and DRR mini quad dealer, For your mini quad performance parts and tuning needs.
2013 polaris ranger camo
KINGQUAD, 29.5 outlaws,snorkled,rad. relocate, clutch mod.
APEX, stage6 RT 70, elka,mallosi overrange,PVL ign.

Mike#44

07 LTR450 Vet #99

Quad32x

Ive always used a twist from my days racing three wheelers. If you can get used to it you will never go back to a thumb throttle. ;)
Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

MPTonyT

i dont know that i could use a twist on a quad. now on a dirt bike its a little differient. my buddy gets on my quad after being on his dirt bike trying to twist the grip like its supposed to do something. i laugh at him everytime. kinda like getting into an automatic if your used to driving manual. first instinct is to press the clutch in.
2003 Yamaha Raptor 660R

SkyHighT100

I used to ride my friends 4-wheeler that had a twist throttle, never could get used to it. I have carple tunnel, so when we would trail ride not only would my thumb stop "working", but my entire hand would go numb as well. I had to do something so I spent $15 on a throttle extender. I'll admit, it took a little time to get used to, but it was the best $15 I ever spent. It allowed me to use my entire thumb and even part of palm (if I wanted to)... defiantely worked well
The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list :)

[url="http://www.myspace.com/humrz28"]http://www.myspace.com/humrz28[/url]

UncleRico

Ya know, I kinda like the arm pump and fatigue, come to think of it.

I like that mental state you reach where your brain is telling your hands to open up,  but your muscles take over and squeeze your hands shut.

Nothing like flying up a hill and your hands loose all control due to cramping and arm pump. I kinda like walking around like an 80 year old arthritic after a hard day of riding.

I guess I have thirst for minor pain.
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

khooping

Thanks for the lead on the thumb extender.  I'll give that a try.  I've got carpeltunnels too.....it was just weird.   My mind knew what my thumb needed to do....except I couldn't get my thumb to do it.  Same deal on the grip.  Good grip on the left handle bar and at times, virtually none on the right. >:(  I typically ride 1 full day every two weeks.  Probably  not enough to keep the thumb in shape :'(  Thanks for all the advice

Kevin
Z-400
Full HMF Pipe
Jet Kit
Denton Steering Dampener
Renthal Bars
Dominator Rear
Complete Skids

TRX250EX
Full HMF Pipe, Jet Kit
Rev Box
K&N Filter
Full Skids

53yfz450

WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  [url="HTTP://gandgracing.com"]HTTP://gandgracing.com[/url] CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

[url="http://myspace.com/jakegunn53"]http://myspace.com/jakegunn53[/url]

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.


535banshee

I ALWAYS LIKED THE TWIST. IF YOU STARTED OUT ON DIRT BIKES ITS EASY.BUT IF YOU NEVER RODE WITH ONE IT CAN BE ALITTLE CRAZY AT FIRST

PLEDGER#76

I was always a thumb guy too, but when I started racing a YFZ450 I tried every mod including the spring and nothing worked, since then I started with a 1/2 turn twist and now I only use the 1/4 turn vortex twist for every quad I own, it only took 1 2hour 28 minute gncc cross country race to get used to it and now I will never use anything but twist, especially for the 2 hour  races.....
1971 Honda CB350 and its mint
Honda TRX450R

HondaATC

I use to be thumb all the way and then I tried and got use to using a 1/4 turn Magura and I've been hooked ever since. I can't even hardly ride anything else with a thumb throttle or anything with a twist that isn't a 1/4 turn. I actually switch the same throttle over from one machine to another if I'm going to be riding it alot  ::)
1996 Laeger TRX250R
1985 CR500 powered ATC250R
1986 ATC250R

trx#9

"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

LostCause

We have the ability to control our future.

www.SSQSA.net

Thanks to our sponsors: Walsh Racecraft, X-Tream Clean, Ripixx, Goon with Style, Pit Posse, Amsoil, Equalibryum, Crown Wear, Answer, MSR, AXO, Slackercross, UFO, MXRESULTZ

Quad32x

Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

jujulo700R

#18
QuoteYa know, I kinda like the arm pump and fatigue, come to think of it.

I like that mental state you reach where your brain is telling your hands to open up,  but your muscles take over and squeeze your hands shut.


Is that what "arm pump" is? Now I can relate to what you guys are talking about. I thought it was just me! I did 5 laps at Dade City and my hands completely stopped working. I couldn't open them up and they hurt like he!!. They hurt so bad that when I was driving back through pit lane, I had to steer with my elbows! :o
I think I will stick with the thumb though.
Just a little fast and just a little furious.

kenz

I changed my Z to a twist.  During QS#1 I had such I time keeping my thumb on the throttle I wanted to try something else.  Today I was first time riding since I changed it over.  It felt like I had much better control in tight trails at speed.  It took a little getting used to hitting the whoops and jumps.  After some practice launches and hitting the whoops hard I got the bugs worked out.  QS#2 will be real test though.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.
2008 YFZ450
FTR 30+ #34B
Sarasota Area Quad Riders

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com