Changed title to: Riding the North Ocala Trail System

Started by khooping, September 12, 2006, 01:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khooping

Hello Everyone-

I'm planning a 2 day trip to do some riding this week. I ride at Holopaw, and have been to Brooksville  and Ocala but am looking for other places to ride.  Trying to stay within 4 hrs. of Palm Bay (East Coast Central FL.) I was considering Big Cypress but was concerned about not having 4 wheel drive and spending all day stuck.  My wife and I like to trail ride and are experienced.  I have a Z400 and she has a 250EX. Any folks who can post based on experience is appreciated. 

Thanks

Kevin
Z-400
Full HMF Pipe
Jet Kit
Denton Steering Dampener
Renthal Bars
Dominator Rear
Complete Skids

TRX250EX
Full HMF Pipe, Jet Kit
Rev Box
K&N Filter
Full Skids

Paul_S

We rode at Osceola Forest this weekend and it was flooded. We expected it to be a little wet, but the trails were all submerged. Fun on a 4x4, but not for sports.

UncleRico

It's sorta sad, but there's not many other places to ride trails if you don't own property.


Ocala has a new trail system in effect, so you might consider that, if you haven't been since they put the new system together.

Croom is the only other place I know of that is open to the public for trail riding that's in your range.


Good luck.
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

AintSkeered

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

sbripple


Round Man

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION
OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT
RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY
WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING - -----------

WOW - WHAT A RIDE!!!"

khooping

Just wanted to give everyone an update on where we rode last week.  We ended up going to Ocala and staying in silver springs.  We rented a cabin for a few days and got a lot of riding in.  We had a nice sit down meal at Shellcrackers which was excellent and Wednesday night was all you can eat boiled shrimp.  They usually have an evening special so give them a try.  It doesn't look like much from the outside but believe me, you won't be disappointed in the food.   The trail system is coming along great and I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't more traffic on it.  We only saw 2 other 4 wheelers in the full 2 days we were riding.  (After we hit the trails)  I don't know how many of you have been up and rode on the systems but I actually preferred it to the free riding we've done out in the Big Scrub area and south of 314.  I included a link below where you can go and check out the maps of the new trail system.  I'd like to hear how others feel about the trail system so far. 

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/news/trails-roads-pil-ocala.shtml
Z-400
Full HMF Pipe
Jet Kit
Denton Steering Dampener
Renthal Bars
Dominator Rear
Complete Skids

TRX250EX
Full HMF Pipe, Jet Kit
Rev Box
K&N Filter
Full Skids

Ida_Mann

did you stay in Silver Springs, or Salt Springs,,,,,I can't remember the name of it but I think it's Shellcrackers,,,the name of the place in Salt Springs on 314.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

khooping

ID@,

Sorry, it was Salt Springs.  The number below is for the office you can call which is on 19.  However, the cabins are on 314 behind Shell Crackers.  We stayed in a two bedroom which came equipped with a full kitchen (minus coffee maker), TV, couches, 3 beds and 1 bathroom.  It ran us 90.00 I believe for the night.  It worked out really nice.  We're going to stay at the resort next time just for comparison purposes.  I'll let you know what we think of it. 

Kevin


Advantage Real Estate Corp
13388 N Highway 19
Fort Mc Coy, FL 32134
(352) 685-3330
Z-400
Full HMF Pipe
Jet Kit
Denton Steering Dampener
Renthal Bars
Dominator Rear
Complete Skids

TRX250EX
Full HMF Pipe, Jet Kit
Rev Box
K&N Filter
Full Skids

Ida_Mann

I didn't know that Joe ran those cabins as well.

Joe Massey is a neighbor of mine up there is Salt Springs.

I also didn't know that the resort was still open to rentals.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com