2 Dead in ATV accident

Started by UncleRico, August 26, 2006, 11:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleRico

2 grown men died last night when the ATV they were riding on crashed into a tree in Hernando county.


Police say the men were riding double, with no helmets, and most likely traveling at a high speed at night when they went off the road and slammed into a tree.


Same common denominators:

No Safety Protection and riding two to an ATV.
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

fire20

Dave

UncleRico

They didn't say if it was Alcohol related. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm pretty sure that riding two at a time is what messed them up as you can't control the passengers weight shift. It's extremely dangerous to ride two at a time, yet I see it all the time.
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

Sleazy_Rider78

Quote from: UncleRico on August 26, 2006, 11:07:20 PM
Same common denominators:

No Safety Protection and riding two to an ATV.

I think strike three was the fact that they were riding at night.  I know this is a trajedy but....  :K
[url="//www.myspace.com/mlatcham"]www.myspace.com/mlatcham[/url]
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
[url="http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html"]http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html[/url]

digginfool

Let me help you finish that last sentence.  I know it's a tragedy but it's situations like this that are going to ruin it for all the rest of us responsible riders.  An attorney friend of mine has a saying he uses when he sees our kids rough-housing a little too much:  "How could this tragedy have been avoided?"  And that's the point; until people stop and think about the consequences of what they are about to do, serious injuries and death will continue to plague this sport.  Everything was there for this to happen; two riding on a bike (the ego factor - "Hey!  Watch this!"), night time, high speed, and since it was a Saturday night, I'll bet money alcohol was involved.  It's a damn shame for everyone; the families and friends they left behind, themselves and us.  ATV people.... WAKE UP!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

450rcrazy

I've ridden in hernando area many times and it seems the local people to that area consistantly ride with no helmet and generaly with no shoes on ,or at most flip flops.I belive when they are able to ride daily they loose respect for the machines they are riding and what they are capable of.If you have been riding there you know what im talking about.I also see kids in the 10-14 year old range on bikes way to big for them many times with no supervision and no helmets, last time out I saw a girl maybe 12 on a ds 650 no shoes no helmet no parents in sight.

eldiablo64

and hernando county is 1 of only a couple counties in florida with an atv safety institute certified safe rider course.I live in Pinellas and in order to take the course they told I had to go to Brooksville.I think the course should be available in all counties.I am a safe rider and always wear my helmet.and protective clothing etc....but i still would like to take the course.it costs $125.oo but i can take it for free and honda will pay me .but I'm not drivin all the way to Brooksville to take it.
TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

UncleRico

I think this is also a case of a person overestimating his abilities and underestimating the consequences of what can happen when things go wrong.


I ride at a place where most people don't wears helmets and I often see little kids riding double, sometimes triple, I've also noticed people riding without shoes.

Judging by their posture and the way they handle the vehicle, they suck at riding as well.



UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

eldiablo64

yeah i see that alot to makes ya wanna stop them and slap'em upside the head don't it
TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

rednipj

Was coming home from work friday saw a little 80 maybe, was small, motorbike.  It had 3 kids on it.  None looked older than 12, the little one sitting on the gas tank looked like he was still in diapers 3 or 4 maybe. No shirt, no pants, no shoes, just the diaper or underpants. The one driving and the one on the back, shorts, t-shirt.  All had no helmets and riding down the street.  They were sitting at a stop sign waiting for 45 to 50 mph traffic to go by so they could go.  Were are these parents!

1FasterBlaster

I had a buddy ask me after we took a break from riding-it was his first ride on a quad-if I was putting on all my gear again.Hell Yeah!!
  I've learned the hard way, gear protects you.It's not a matter of riding double.I've done that.But you have to compensate for the weight...be careful!!
   Even being an experienced rider,I've crashed.My gear has saved my azz plenty of times.
Don't let anyone you know ride without it.If someone refuses to wear gear when I ride, they don't ride with me.
  I'm out to have fun, not carry someone out of the forest!!
My condolences to the family and friends of those two guys. Hope everyone sends out the message to anyone that thinks they can't get hurt.

Loven It

The article I read about it stated they were not wearing helmets as others have pointed out!  It said that anyone that rides that area knows there is set of trees and the road stops and drops 20ft down hill. That is where the quad was 20ft down hill. The guys died Friday night or early Sat morning and were found by a little kid riding his bicycle. Did anyone see the pics of the bike? It was a Polaris predator and I have never seen such a mangled looking bike before. I took the article and showed my 6yr old. It scared the crap out of him that that is the reality of what could happen when you do not practice safety first!!!!
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT