Which truck tire?

Started by backinsaddle, August 24, 2006, 09:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backinsaddle

need some new tires for my truck, (dodge 2500) LT265/70R17/E, considering (not sure if all the following come in my size):

BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A
Toyo Open Country M/T
Nitto Mud Grappler
Nitto Dune Grappler
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radial
Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial
a few others in the MT line
Pro Comps?

stock is BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A.  I want something more aggressive that will get through the sand/mud in florida better, but still give a decent, not too noisy ride.  I'm less concerned about mileage than performance.

If you have any comments or better suggestions, please let me know, thanks

backwoods boy

id go for the bfg mtz good on road n offroad thats what where gettin for or 250 when the atz where out
NObama08 '' nigga please its the WHITE house''
LIVE FAST-PLAY HARD-DIE LAUGHING

Fox17

bfgoodwrench by far is the best i think. thats what im gonna get for the tundra when the other tires run out.

VForcedave

I have a friend that builds off road vehicles as a hobby as well as a mechanic for a large Ford dealership in S.FLA. I was looking for the same input and everyone is across the board on this issue. I told me that the Mickey Thompsons altough are popular as well as expensive, they are weak in the quality control department for off road use. His recommendation was BF Goodrich, which surprised me. He said for the on/off road tire quality BFG is the way to go. Thats what I am putting on my vehicle when I finish the lift. Good Luck.  
2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.

backinsaddle

thanks all...from what I've read you can't go wrong with the BFG's...just looking at some of the other options.  I'm very happy with the OEM tires, they just suck in the soft stuff

Fox17

there arent many tires that do exceptionally good in sand. and if they do thay SUCK on the road.

one thing bout bfgs is you will pay for them too. not so cheap.

backinsaddle

no such thing as a good cheap truck tire with E load rating...I expect $200-$300 per tire...

Fox17

probably close to 250. those are the same size on my tundra (except for rim size) and thats how much they are a tire.

Busta Nutt

If a tire don't say Interco on it, it ain't worth spit.

LostCause

When I had big trucks the best tire that I found was the Buckshot Mudder.   They had a great ride and good tread life.  Even though they say Mudder they worked great in the sand.  One thing to remember.  If you will be in the sand moor go with a wide rim.  If you will be in the mud go with one that is narrow.  The wide rim lets more of the tread spread out on the sand ad disperces the weight better.  The narrow rim allows for the tire to dig better.
We have the ability to control our future.

www.SSQSA.net

Thanks to our sponsors: Walsh Racecraft, X-Tream Clean, Ripixx, Goon with Style, Pit Posse, Amsoil, Equalibryum, Crown Wear, Answer, MSR, AXO, Slackercross, UFO, MXRESULTZ

Southern4x4

Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial are good my uncle has them and hes had them for a year

[><]Southern by the grace of God[><]

ZRIDER

I have had a few sets of BFG MT's.  They are a great tire for mud and sand, they ride extremely well, but will get loud as they wear, and are on the expensive side.  I had the Mickey Thompson ATZ on the truck before the BFG's and they were good in sand but sucked in mud.  Also, I bought a set of the Pro Comp MT'S for my old truck.  They are close to the BFG, but they don't last as long.   Good luck

Anoriginal

I run the Mickey ATZ's and hate them. They are loud and you cannot balance them. Chillin had the exact same tires (325x65x18 = 35x13.50x18) and just switched to a set of Khumos which seem to ride very nice and are a ton less noisy.

I'm switching to either the Nitto's, the Toyo's or the Khumos real soon.

backinsaddle

Quote from: wilburzbro on August 24, 2006, 04:31:20 PM
If a tire don't say Interco on it, it ain't worth spit.

Jim, which model tire would you recommend...i'll take a look

backinsaddle

thanks everyone for the other ideas.  i'll look at them too.  Too many choices ???

backinsaddle

add another option to the list: Bridgestone Dueler M/T

foreman1

#16
Quote from: wilburzbro on August 24, 2006, 04:31:20 PM
If a tire don't say Interco on it, it ain't worth spit.

I'll second that .
They've got the  best  DOT mud tire on the market. The Interco Boggers are the best pullin tires in mud I've seen outside of AG tractor tires. The do a great job of staying clean in the thick stuff.
NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185

klutchbuster400

I'll find out for you what tire carlos use's on his truck, Not the same as yours, but the tires seem to be pretty good.

LakeMaryKid

Mud Grappler is not for you if you want quiet. Dune Grappler, wont get much mud performance out of it since it is a sand oriented tread pattern. The BFG MT is one of the best performing and lasting on and offroad tire. Almost all interco tires you wont see a lot of life out of them for everyday driving. Id suggest the BFG M/T as that is what i am going with also for the on/offroad capabilities and the life on them. The Buckshots i have read you will not get very good life out of them.
2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft

LostCause

I had 3 sets of the Buckshots and got 60k out of eack set.  One Set was on a GMC1500 and the other 2 sets on a Dodge 2500.   That is all I know.
We have the ability to control our future.

www.SSQSA.net

Thanks to our sponsors: Walsh Racecraft, X-Tream Clean, Ripixx, Goon with Style, Pit Posse, Amsoil, Equalibryum, Crown Wear, Answer, MSR, AXO, Slackercross, UFO, MXRESULTZ

LakeMaryKid

Yep, i wasnt doubting you. Some get 50 some get 25 out of them. With those tires you have to be RELIGIOUS about rotating them more so than others!
2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft

LostCause

I know..............Just wanted to tell him how many sets I had.

It surprised me how many miles I got also.  But boy were they good.  Closest thing to a military RVT that I could find for the road.
We have the ability to control our future.

www.SSQSA.net

Thanks to our sponsors: Walsh Racecraft, X-Tream Clean, Ripixx, Goon with Style, Pit Posse, Amsoil, Equalibryum, Crown Wear, Answer, MSR, AXO, Slackercross, UFO, MXRESULTZ

backinsaddle

#22
Quote from: LakeMaryKid on August 24, 2006, 07:15:22 PM
Mud Grappler is not for you if you want quiet. Dune Grappler, wont get much mud performance out of it since it is a sand oriented tread pattern. The BFG MT is one of the best performing and lasting on and offroad tire. Almost all interco tires you wont see a lot of life out of them for everyday driving. Id suggest the BFG M/T as that is what i am going with also for the on/offroad capabilities and the life on them.

I was thinking along the same lines with each of the tires ;)

I don't want to sacrifice much in driveability/noise onroad.  some is o.k., but i don't want to have to yell to have a conversation at highway speeds.  Don't care if it stiffens up the ride, but it can't loosen it...that truck is loose enough in the back end unloaded or not, don't need any sidewall flex.  It must be able to be balanced, i don't want something that's going to vibrate or shake all the time, this is also my daily driver.  I'm not much of a mudder/rare occasion (tank on wheels), so parking in/driving to riding areas with trailer in this sugar sand seems to be a bigger problem for me.  I'm not going to change out rims this go-around, so they have to fit the stock rims and be "E" load rated...which somewhat limits my selections.  I realize stock rim limits width which you need in sand, but no $'s for new right now.  I need to find a chart that shows me what tire sizes will fit my OEM rims.

Heard the pro comps were good, little cheaper, but don't last as long as bfg m/t's...i'd rather spend more and have the tire last a bit longer.  any truth to that?  i figure they're mudder and crawler tires, they're probably a softer compound and have a shorter life.  the MT doesn't come in an E load rating, so I'd be concerned about that>>>http://www.procomptires.com/mtapps.htm the extreme a/t looks too wide...i don't like the looks of the AT, looks like the one's I got now.

as for the interco, if they have something that's not as aggressive as some of the mud tires, i.e., the TrXus Mud Terrain http://www.intercotire.com/site35.php, or the TSL/Thornbird http://www.intercotire.com/site31.php , I'd be interested in hearing all comments

the buckshot mudders look like what i'm looking for.  they don't seem to come in my size/load rating>>>http://www.maxxis.com/products/automotive/product_detail.asp?id=191  :-\

I don't like that you can't balance the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ  http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/newproductpage.php?id=5, i've heard that before.  I'm sure I'd have the same problem with the Baja MTZ's http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.php?item=BajaMTZRadialTrad which is the tire I'd prefer

The Kumho Road Venture doesn't come in 17"  :( http://www.kumhousa.com/Products/PtnDetails.asp?mainCatID=2&PtnID=834

The Nitto Terra Grappler looks like what I got http://www.nittotire.com/tires_terragrappler.asp , and the mud grappler looks more for off road with a lot of loss of onroad capability???  http://www.nittotire.com/tires_mudgrappler.asp

Toyo doesn't have anything in my size  :'( unless one of the 17" listed will fit?? http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_specsheet.cfm?id=17

if you believe the following survery http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORMT the Bridgestone Dueler M/T is worth looking at, although I've never heard much about it, certainly not like the BFG tires, and they don't seem to be on the bridgestone website, unless it's being replaced by the Firestone Destination M/T?

vspec1

The good thing about the Pro-Comps is that the all-terrains have a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty. Not a great mud tire, but very quiet on the highway. I'm on my second set, not a bad tire for the money. They have them on sale from time to time, buy three get one free.
2006 Brute Force 750
2005 YFZ 450
2006 Honda Rincon
2006 Honda TRX 90
2005 Predator 50
2006 KTM 525 exc

Fox17

right now they are 10% off.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com