sprocket question

Started by klutchbuster400, August 19, 2006, 02:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klutchbuster400

Quote from: tony pitts on August 22, 2006, 02:53:16 AM
I understand but changing the front sprocket 1 tooth is like changing 3 and a half teeth on the rear you will get lot of rev out of the bottom but less speed overall not to mention over reving your quad at top speed.I have done a lot of gear changing I have three quads yfz450 trail and mx, my sons trx 513 mx, and my wifes 440 zuki.
So basically changing the front would be TOO dramatic a change.
I need a front sprocket regardless,, stock one is starting to warp. SO stock 14, and 41 is a good set up for MX?

tony pitts

you stock gearing was 14 /40 and you dropped your tire size to 18 inch from 20 inch you should be able to run 14/ 39 because 18's raises youe gear ratio .there not as hard to turn as 20's.
[url="http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m292/motoxroads/Rally_Signature.png"]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m292/motoxroads/Rally_Signature.png[/url]

klutchbuster400

Quote from: tony pitts on August 22, 2006, 09:53:06 AM
you stock gearing was 14 /40 and you dropped your tire size to 18 inch from 20 inch you should be able to run 14/ 39 because 18's raises youe gear ratio .there not as hard to turn as 20's.
I didnt like the feel of my 39 tooth though, And I need more bottom end for the track. I think I rode at seminole once with the 39 and really didnt liek it.

UncleRico

The way I understand it is, if you need a "slight" change you work the rear sprocket, if you need a more "substantial" change, you work the front sprocket.

I think it's about 3:1 back to front when moving teeth.

I guess it's all about feel and where you're riding.

I wonder if there's some secret formula that the factory mechanics use.
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

klutchbuster400

Quote from: UncleRico on August 23, 2006, 01:06:04 AM
The way I understand it is, if you need a "slight" change you work the rear sprocket, if you need a more "substantial" change, you work the front sprocket.

I think it's about 3:1 back to front when moving teeth.

I guess it's all about feel and where you're riding.

I wonder if there's some secret formula that the factory mechanics use.
Im sure their is, Ill ask who ever I know with a pro bike what their sprockets are haha!

Fox17

well they have more that sprocket secrets. we had a crf tuned by factory honda and it ran absolutely perfect! the jetting was perfect as was the gearing and engine and EVERYTHING. that is why they run so much better.