How does this look for a first time welder?

Started by Raiders43, August 14, 2006, 12:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiders43


Chevy1500z71


bugmanjr

08 Sportsman 800 HO
08 Sportsman 800 Touring
04 Sportsman 700 12in Lift
81 Honda 200 Three Wheeler
WWW.MRBUGSTERMITEANDPEST.COM

Raiders43

Just a few more dollars and it will be finished.

k.p.


Raiders43

Me a ltz 400 and 2 friends of mine with dirt bikes.

Raiders43

Maybe only 1 friend, the other was supposed to give me $200.00 to finish so we could jump this weekend, but he was convienently unavailable.

klutchbuster400

Quote from: Raiders43 on August 14, 2006, 01:14:27 AM
Maybe only 1 friend, the other was supposed to give me $200.00 to finish so we could jump this weekend, but he was convienently unavailable.
Hmmm first time welder.....
I'd let your friends jump first :D Do you already have a landing area and all that good stuff?

Raiders43

I do construction so I have access to dozers and such so my job has huge piles of dirt every where to manipulate into a landing.

UncleRico

Hey, if I come up with $200.00 bucks, can I be your new friend?


Where is this ramp going to see action?
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

Raiders43

All  I need is the raised expanded metal for the top. I have a job in Dundee that has a large pile of dirt to use for a landing. If my broke a$$ friend gets off the money this week, Sat or Sun will be test day.

backinsaddle

Looks like you did a nice job.  :ThumbsUp.gif One suggestion, you may want to cross brace the back, from the ground to the tallest part of the ramp for some lateral stability

Thrumud

Nice !  I hope your homeowners association don't bust ur balls.
[url="http://www.floridaatvrally.com/images/Rally_Signature.png"]http://www.floridaatvrally.com/images/Rally_Signature.png[/url]

Raiders43

I don't have much metal left, do you think small lenghts in each corner of the back would work? Thanks for the input.

dirtrider2002

Looks sweet, like the color. Just curious, what plans did you use?
Sometimes... when you do Freestyle.... You just have to hit it hard

Alba450

Quote from: backinsaddle on August 14, 2006, 02:10:03 AM
Looks like you did a nice job.  :ThumbsUp.gif One suggestion, you may want to cross brace the back, from the ground to the tallest part of the ramp for some lateral stability

Do what he said^


Nice Job!
Thanks to my Sponsors at.....

***OMF Performance***
***Liquid Performance***
***Fasst Flexx Handlebars***
***Laeger's Racing***
***AMSOIL Racing***
***VORTEX Racing***
***PowerMadd Handgaurds***

"Your mom? Yeah I know her. She took more shots in the mouth than Stallone in Rocky III"

backinsaddle

Quote from: Raiders43 on August 14, 2006, 02:22:46 AM
I don't have much metal left, do you think small lenghts in each corner of the back would work? Thanks for the input.

Don't know.  i imagine the expanded metal will stiffen it up a bit.  Get 3 or 4 guys up on the top for some weight (at least the weight of quad and rider) and see how stable it is (rock back and forth).  If you have movement in the joints (instead of it lifting off the ground), you may need to stiffen.  If not, you may be o.k.  another option is to cross brace in the back, and in a second location maybe 1/2-2/3 the way back. 

Raiders43

It is as close to the rev 1 plans as I could get.

klutchbuster400

What are you gonna use to cover up the lip?

561rincon

those bars going vertical on the side are going to be taking some strain when you hit half way. i think you need to weld some bars diagnal to stiffen it up. probally nothing to worry about for a few test jumps but thats it it might collapse after a few . did you use wire or rod?...size? p.m me if you need any more info....but very very nice for first time.
05 rincon 28'' mud bugs type 7 black wheels,2'' lift,dyno jet kit, 2500lb warn , K&N, snorkel kit, TORC exhaust.

04' 24' keystone tailgator toyhauler
06' F-150 stx
76' F-250 2.5 ton running gear 16.9x24 tires 360c.i

Raiders43

I used 6013 rods, you mean braces at a 45 degree angle?

Raiders43


backinsaddle

I think 561rincon and I are talking about bracing in different directions.  I'm talking about cross bracing the big square as you look at the back of the jump.  I'd cross brace there, skip a support, and cross brace the next (from one side of the ramp to the other, either an X or an A, X being stronger I would think).  The second support probably isn't necessary, but would give me peace of mind if I built it.  I think 561rincon is taking about bracing the opposite as the brace you have on the last and tallest support.  Run a diagonal up from the bottom before the second tallest brace to where the third tallest attaches to the ramp curve, that's where a lot of the weight transfer will happen.  Don't want to speak for 561rincon, but I think that's what he means? 

Ask one of the quadsonly guys.  They have a ramp(s), I've never built one, so they would probably know better.

UncleRico

To be safe, I think you should have some one hit it with a really heavy Utility Quad.

Who's gonna be the guinea pig?


Who gets to go first?


If you're going to do it somewhere in Lakeland, can I film it?


This has all the designs for making me 10,000 bucks on Amercias Funniest Home Videos, or perhaps I can sell it to Vonage for one of those commercials. 

Any volunteers.
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

quads_only

looking sweeeeeet,   nice job.   Our ramps are all different but the one we use most is the rev1.  It has to be the smothest ramp ever. As far as the cross bracing they are all right. the X needs to be at the open end of the ramp and you need angled braces in it to counter act the weight and momentum of a quad  hitting it.

        There will be more force than you think. Our ramp that we are using at dreths show has been modified many times because of bending and tweaking.

You guys get used to that ramp and maybe we can get together and share some airtime!
[url="http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/quadsonly/l_6c3989854e8bf52cc1bed12446b3ad5dW.jpg"]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/quadsonly/l_6c3989854e8bf52cc1bed12446b3ad5dW.jpg[/url]