Engine is shutting off when stuck

Started by 94Hardbody4x4, August 05, 2006, 08:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94Hardbody4x4

Am I missing something here? The last two times I've gotten my atv stuck it has automatically shut off and then wont restart until it's pulled out. It only seems to happen when it is framed out. This is really inconvienent so is their some kind of saftey switch that being triggered when it's framed out?
Parting out 2005 Honda Foreman....ASK ME!

MachineDog

Framed out? I would keep your thumb on the throttle if your exhaust is under water when you're stuck, and try to put it in neutral if possible. Don't really know what you mean by framed out.
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

gatorjohn

Means 'sitting on the frame with the tires dangling'. If you are in the water alot, make sure aall your electrical connections have die-electric grease on them.

94Hardbody4x4

Exatley. I mean that the atv is burried as far as it can go in the mud.

I dont mess with water, so this is only happening when it's stuck in the mud. It's weird, it was just sitting at idle and then it slowly dies out and wont restart until it's out of the mud. WTF? strange. I'm going wheeling at Back Lakes tomorrow so I'll check the connection before I go.

It does fine when I go through deep water though. Doesn't stall or anything.
Parting out 2005 Honda Foreman....ASK ME!

duroc825

I had the same bike (05 foreman) and never had that problem. Ya got it in gear and the tires rubbing a little might bog it down without any throttle if the idle is turned adjusted too low??? I do know there is no "safety switch" though.

SomBch

friend had one did the same thing and couldnt figure it out, would actually ruin the day of riding cause we had to wait everytime it would stall. Cycles of PB had to send the whole harness back to honda in order to get a new one and that solved the problem.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GENIUS AND STUPID IS THAT GENIUS HAS ITS LIMITS.

gatorjohn

Sounds like a wire is shorted against the frame  or pinched somewhere.