What is your profession?

Started by o4250, July 26, 2006, 09:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

o4250

Well highschool will be over for me before I know it, so I'm just wondering what some of you people do for living? Just to get a good idea as to what im gonna do when I graduate. Plus it seems a lot of us have the same interests, and taste in toys. 8)

Fox17

im unemployed! im starting at publix in 3 weeks. when i graduate im goin to motorcycle mechanics institute in orlando. then im gonna be a factory honda mechanic for their sx and mx team! (hopefully).  ;D

UncleRico

Let Uncle Rico break it down for you....



If you're graduating HS, you need to join the military to go spread democracy throughout the middle east.

George Bush needs you for his plan. 

I just watched FOX news and they assured me everything is going to be fine.
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

Chuck_Norris

The Military does have a lot to offer, and can provide a decent life if you become a career man.  on the other hand college can be paid for via the GI Bill, seek the programs that would best suit you and your desire/ambition. I am currently in the Automotive Industry. It is nearly the one true volitale industry, in other words feast or phamon. your young enough to jump in and out of a couple career choices and find the one that best suits you.

o4250

Quote from: Chuck_Norris on July 26, 2006, 11:01:28 PM
The Military does have a lot to offer, and can provide a decent life if you become a career man.  on the other hand college can be paid for via the GI Bill, seek the programs that would best suit you and your desire/ambition. I am currently in the Automotive Industry. It is nearly the one true volitale industry, in other words feast or phamon. your young enough to jump in and out of a couple career choices and find the one that best suits you.


I was thinking the automotive industry. Infact, next year im taking vo-tech for automotive tech, and then senior year I go to vo-tech in the afternoon for about an hour, then go to high dollar dealerships (such as hummer, BMW,etc..) and help out and could possible get a job as a mechanic there.

05greengriz

Helicopter Pilot, but if I had to do it over again I believe I would would want to become a firefighter.
07 Eiger
06 fsc 2800 weekend warrior
06 Rhino       
2005 Scardy Cat 500 4x4
2006 Acrtic Cat DVX 90
http

MuddFreak77

IT but if I had to do it over I would be in Internet P*rn
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

Thrumud

What ever you do, don't work for the SFWM.  We will hunt you down.   Takes Mud's advice.
[url="http://www.floridaatvrally.com/images/Rally_Signature.png"]http://www.floridaatvrally.com/images/Rally_Signature.png[/url]

klutchbuster400

well i avalue machinery and equipment during the day and am a auto tech part time.
my passion is turning tools and diagnostics.
i can tell you this. there is a shortage of auto techs and it will only get worse.
if you guys only knew what was involved in diagnosing automotive computer systems.
its a whole new world out there.

i left mechanics for 6 years thinking the grass was greener but forget it, the beast beckons me andi love my part time job. its a stepping sstone to having my own shop one day.

what i can tell ya is try to do something you like rather then something that will make you lots of money. hopefully you can do something that will give you both. ;D


gery350

atvtrailer

#9
well i went to a local tech school for marine mechanics and liked it so now im goin to MMI(marine mechanics institute) in orlando to get a better certification and then hopefully open my own shop soon after i graduate from there
05 450r #13B

gearhead400

well i also went to a vo-tech for 3 years, 1 full, 2 part time, for auto mechanics. Cant say i really enjoy it as much as i use to. At least not the place i work at now. I think i need to get into a dealership of some sort and try that out. I loved the diagnostic part of automotive, reading parameters, finding out what triggered codes, THAT was fun. Eh, i dunno, im still deciding...
Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
   #14
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  [email]gearhead400ex@hotmail.com[/email]

mikeE36

I'm in the same boat. I was actually going to make a thread like this.

I'm trying to get into construction like cabinets, painting, etc so then I can open my own business.

if anyone around Bradenton or sarasota has a construstion business and wants to show me the ropes I would be interested.

NPRVinson

Quote from: o4250 on July 27, 2006, 01:04:45 AM
Quote from: mikeE36 on July 27, 2006, 12:52:47 AM
I'm in the same boat. I was actually going to make a thread like this.

I'm trying to get into construction like cabinets, painting, etc so then I can open my own business.

if anyone around Bradenton or sarasota has a construstion business and wants to show me the ropes I would be interested.


Thats where its at in Florida, espicially in Naples. I was also thinking along the lines of laying tile, or hardwood floors. But no one would trust and 18 year old kid. :'(

I thought the same thing when I was your age, now I'm 44 yrs. old and a superintendent for a general contractor. My advise would be to stay in school get a degree and stay as far away from construction as you can.

cheropride

Theu auto industry is a really good idea, my neighbor been working @Ford for about year now as a mechanic, and he loves it.  He has testing and training there.  He is really happy w/it. 

Ah to be young again, and do it all over....

But I don't have it too bad, work from home, have my own business.  Funny how life works sometimes....
Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

Mudneck

gynoclogist,but if I had to do it over again I would have been a fisherman.
[url="http://mudneck.com/home.html"]http://mudneck.com/home.html[/url]

Ida_Mann

there's too little space here to describe everything I do,,,,,,traveling computer technician/freight handler/class B truck driver.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

cheropride

Quote from: bushwacker on July 27, 2006, 08:05:41 AM
gynoclogist,but if I had to do it over again I would have been a fisherman.

I'm sorry but I can't resist... 

Samething isn't....
Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP

Hoosier Daddy

Quad32x is a professional butt sniffer.....
BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"

dynodon

Mike36, I might be able to help you with the cabinet thing.
I own a cabinet business, design and Install them also.Although I do not live in your area, I do know several Installers that might show you the ropes
The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it

bigscrub79

Quote from: o4250 on July 27, 2006, 01:04:45 AM
[ I was also thinking along the lines of laying tile, or hardwood floors. But no one would trust and 18 year old kid. :'(
You need to get with a crew ASAP. They crews are always looking for a helper. Just make sure to watch the head guy and see how he does things. You have to work hard enough so he will teach you.
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

Honda328i

#20
Whatever you end up doing for work, try to find something you enjoy doing.  Then it is just fun rather than work.  For me, I'm a Senior Electrical Engineer, and our company builds Airport ground support vehicles.  Our military aircraft loader was the first thing on the ground (other than the plane) when the USA took the airport in Baghdad.

It would be cool too to be a professional quad racer, but I don't think I could support a family, (unless I died trying). lol 2:L

[attachment deleted by admin]
[url="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg"]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg[/url]

Anoriginal

I did the whole college thing. AA degree followed by two Bachelor of Science Degrees in Economics and Business Admin, then an MBA and then a Juris Doctor. I am now a civil litigation attorney that specializes in Construction Litigation and civil trial. I love it and don't regret a minute of the time it took or the sacrifices I made to get here. It was all very well worth it.

VForcedave

Although I always wanted to be a Rock Star, I have worked on Mega Yachts in different capacities. First started out as crew, then worked my way up to Captain, traveled around the world a couple times and was paid well for it. Now I work for a company that installs and services Yacht Communication and Navigation equipment. I would recommend any young guy or girl interested in starting on the ground floor (deck hand or stewardess) contact a couple crew agencies and see what happens. Fort Lauderdale is the place to get started. With all the liscensing and certifications now days its a little more indepth to be a operator of a yacht, but every journey starts with one step.     
2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.

Hawgin4x4

i work fulltime at lowes and go to the vo-tech for auto collision.
I dont disrespect anyone, If anyone disrespects me, You will be 6 ft below me.

UncleRico

AVOID CONSTRUCTION AT ALL COSTS UNLESS YOU PLAN ON BEING A CONTRACTOR.

When Uncle Rico was 16, he started as a laborer on a construction site, and went around and asked all the trades who made the most money.  At that time, the unanimous vote was for the electricians. At that time electricians were making $22.00 an hour. So I studied and became a Journeyman electrician, and made a decent living.  I was also told, "Learn a trade, you can go anywhere in the U.S. and find a job if you learn a trade."

However about 10 years or so ago, I realized a trend.  Construction companies were hiring immigrant labor to staff projects, and have the skilled people like myself, run around and fix all their mistakes. Also, at this time, LABOR STAFFING COMPANINES, popped up on the scene. These are companies that rent people by the day to construction companies, (sometimes refered to as 'rent a drunks').  This mass influx of labor onto job sites, drove wages down.  Why pay 50 guys $22.00 an hour when you can pay 5 guys $22.00 an hour and the other 45 guys $10.00 an hour to staff a job? Simple economics.

It's hell on the skill guys who are constantly under pressure to bring the job in on time, pass all the inspections, and make sure everything is done safely.  It use to be you had time to take pride in your work, and do it perfectly. Not anymore. Just get it done as fast as you can, hide everyone elses mistakes, and move on to the next job. If I had to do it all again............

One word...

COMPUTERS!  Clean, easy, work where you use your brain.  Learn how to design websites, and you'll be gold. Everyone's got a website now a days.
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com