honda ball joint question

Started by justin82, July 21, 2006, 09:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justin82

hi every one,you might remeber me i was the guy over in afghanistan.
well Im home now and my honda rancher I had waiting for me is getting new front wheel bearings and seals. I noticed that the ball joints were loose and I went ahead and bought some new ones. I spent about an hour forceing the old ones out,but my question is how do you get the new ones in? is there any trick to it? should I use a ball joint tool to press them in or should they squeeze in with a little help front some grease and mr. C clamp?
thanks and cant wait to meet some of you guys on the trail! Ill post some pictures too.
later,
justin

TRX450R_Racer

#1
 Justin,
    Glad you made it home safe. I would have to look at them to make that call. Where do you live? If it is close enough to me I would be glad to help you out.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

justin82

hey thanks alot!
I live in citra just north of ocala. I havent gotten the ball joints yet they are supposed to arrive this week. Im going to be in tennessee with my wife on vaction but Ill be home next weekend. when I pulled the hubs off I noticed they were very loose,a friend came by and he said they are supposed to be that loose,Ive had bad ball joints on my chevy pickup and when they were loose like that I thought my wheel and hub was going to come off. so I think my friends wrong,but if hes right at least I know they wont bust anytime soon.
where are you from?

we have a limerock quarry behind our house that half the landlord owns and the county owns the rest. pretty cool place to ride and shoot guns,maybe you could check it out if ya come up?
later dude
Justin

kenz

One thing to check when you get your ball joints is to make sure you get the right ones.  I ordered some online.  The upper and lower are different sizes.  The upper has a larger diameter where it presses into the A-arm.  I ended up getting the right ones for the bottom from the local Honda shop.  I never got a response from the on-line supplier has to how to return the wrong ones.  The only way to contact them is through e-mail.  In case your wondering the supplier was Bike Bandit.  needless to say after no response to my e-mails they have lost a customer.
2008 YFZ450
FTR 30+ #34B
Sarasota Area Quad Riders