300ex trouble

Started by CrewCab, July 03, 2006, 12:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrewCab

After having a chance this weekend to get working on the 96 300ex I bought last weekend I have noticed a few problems. I am having trouble with it turning over. The start button doesnt work all the time. I have checked all connections and everything has power. I replaced the solenoid thinking it was bad but the only way to start it when the button doesnt work is to jump the solenoid and it turns right over. The Clymer manual suggests it could possibly be the reverse inhibitor causing this but I want to be sure before I replace it.

The previous owner told me the clutch was slipping and would probably need to be replaced. When I hold the lever in and put it in gear the bike creeps forward like the clutch isnt disengaging all the way. I tried adusting the cable as much as possible but it still did not help. Im guessing a new clutch kit will fix this?

Another thing I noticed yesterday while testing it out was when the motor is running and at a stop if I shift through all the gears I cannot get it to go back to neutral and the shifting feels very notchy not smooth like I hear everyone say they are like. I replaced the oil yesterday with Mobil1 MX4T. I hope the tranny isnt bad but could the above problem also be causing this?

Thanks for any info.
Lee
2008 Suzuki LTR450 Limited Edition

WWW.TAMPABAYRIDINDIRTY.COM

Fox17

sometimes my 2000 dont want to go into neutral when it is running but it does it fine when i turn it off????? it works fine most of the time though.

CrewCab

Yep, it also shifts into neutral fine when the engine is off, Just when its running it wont do it.  ???
Lee
2008 Suzuki LTR450 Limited Edition

WWW.TAMPABAYRIDINDIRTY.COM

300EXRACER

sounds like a new clutch kit would do it. but i cant really tell. ill hope for the best. good luck with it.
[url="http://i12.tinypic.com/2eqcqqd.jpg"]http://i12.tinypic.com/2eqcqqd.jpg[/url]

TRX450R_Racer

Usually when it is hard to get into neutral and has the symptoms you have described the clutch basket is worn. When it wears it will get grooves in it. You should replace it. If not you can file it down so it is flat again.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

k.p.

i have the same clutch problem w/ my warrior it goes right into gear when its off but when its running i have to sit for about 5 min trying to find neutral i need to get a new clutch too. and thats what ppl have been telling me to do..and if you decide to go that route and that wasnt the problem at least you know youll have a new clutch   :)