Is a foot shifter considered an automatic?

Started by GrizzlyBear, June 15, 2006, 01:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyBear

I just got in an arguement with a guy selling a Yamaha Big Bear 400 (2003(.  He advertised it as an automatic, but from the pictures you could see it was a manual shifter.  I told him it looked like a manual and he said it was an automatic as it had no clutch.  Am I crazy, or has anyone else ever heard of Yamaha calling this an automatic?
2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

#26YFZ

I've always called them automatics.... not that I know what i'm talking about though  ::) maybe semi-automatic is a better description lol

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: GrizzlyBear on June 15, 2006, 01:06:52 PM
I just got in an arguement with a guy selling a Yamaha Big Bear 400 (2003(.  He advertised it as an automatic, but from the pictures you could see it was a manual shifter.  I told him it looked like a manual and he said it was an automatic as it had no clutch.  Am I crazy, or has anyone else ever heard of Yamaha calling this an automatic?

Terry, this guy is somewhat correct. Before the introduction of CVT tranny and the Honda-matic any bike w/out a clutch was considered an automatic tranny or semi auto.

MachineDog

Semi-Auto. Fully automatic is when you have a system where shifting input is not required by the rider, such as a CVT or a geared automatic (Rincon's the only geared one).
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

GrizzlyBear

Who says you can't learn something new every day!
2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

MachineDog

I tend to try and learn something new everyday about vehicles. It's my hobby. :/
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

Chillinthemost

Terry, I agree with you. If it has a foot shifter it aint an automatic. I guess you could call it an auto clutch.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

Da_Mtg_Man

I don't care what anybody says here, As far as I'm concerned if you sit on it, give it gas and it goes then it's automatic, If you have to change gears with your foot then it's semi automatic and if it has a manual clutch then it's a manual shift. I'm with you on this one Terry.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on June 15, 2006, 02:26:06 PM
I don't care what anybody says here, As far as I'm concerned if you sit on it, give it gas and it goes then it's automatic, If you have to change gears with your foot then it's semi automatic and if it has a manual clutch then it's a manual shift. I'm with you on this one Terry.

this sounds like another thread.....
I guess you need to ad tranny discusions to you list of TABU topics....Religion,politics,race, sexual preference and tranny topics. ;D  LOL

Joedirt

2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
1987 Dirty Dakota Mud truck on 35 inch Boggers

Ida_Mann

#10
agreed, I think any discussions involving trannys need to be moved over to www.atvflorida*******.com ;-)

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com