clutch cover failures- '05 & '06 LTZ/KFX/DVX 400 owners LOOK HERE!!!

Started by apkkfx400, April 11, 2006, 01:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRX450R_Racer

I took my buddys a part yesterday. We put Engine Ice in it the week he got it. The corrosion is started but not as bad as I have seen with the factory coolant & water mix. I spoke withe the Enigine Ice poeple and was told you have to change the cover or go with Evans coolant because it has no water in it. If you decid to not change the cover you must flush the system 3 times with 50% vinegar & 50% water. Then you must dry the system completely before you add the Evans. I personally think the cover should be changed for paece of mind. Here is a picture of my friends 05 Z400. It is 16 months old.


[attachment deleted by admin]
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

apkkfx400

Eric, the last time I heard it was being covered by Kawasaki in full.  But we'll see when they finally receive the part.  Aluminum clutch is on backorder and has been for almost 2 wks. 

apkkfx400

Well, the call came in today-she is finally done.  I'll be picking it up tomorrow-can't wait to go riding-been over a month now.


eric

Quote from: apkkfx400 on May 16, 2006, 07:08:28 PM
Well, the call came in today-she is finally done.  I'll be picking it up tomorrow-can't wait to go riding-been over a month now.



Glad to hear you're getting her back  ;)  Mine is supposed to be done Wed. Mark please let me know if they charge you for labor as Suzuki is trying to get me to pay. Thanks

MotoMike

Okay, that means its my turn...lol

I just picked up my 05, thankfully, no ride time on it.  Hopefully no damage yet.  Any idea if it is hard to change yourself.  That last thing I want to do right now is have it sit at a dealer ship for weeks.

Thanks for the heads up Mark.  Hey Eric, wanna go riding?  lol

Mike

apkkfx400

You can look around for the aluminum clutch cover-the dealership only had to hold on to mine because the part was on backorder.  I'm guessing that's what you're going to have problems with-finding/getting the part.

TRX450R_Racer

The 2004 cover is readily available, I got all the parts I needed for Delray Powersports for less than $120 to do my friends 2005. He had Engine Ice in there from day 1, there was still some corrosion and a lot of crap in the cooling system. I fell sorry for you guys that have the stock coolant. Good Luck
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

eric

Quote from: kfx400apk on June 06, 2006, 06:35:53 PM
Okay, that means its my turn...lol

I just picked up my 05, thankfully, no ride time on it.  Hopefully no damage yet.  Any idea if it is hard to change yourself.  That last thing I want to do right now is have it sit at a dealer ship for weeks.

Thanks for the heads up Mark.  Hey Eric, wanna go riding?  lol

Mike

NO, u didn't just buy another quad. You have no brand loyalty thats for sure ;D

MotoMike

I have brand loyalty, just gotta try them all to find out which I like best...lol

Mike

TRX450R_Racer

If anyone doesn't want to have the dealer do the job, I can do it for you. I'm very reasonable and can do it while you wait. No down time. I can supply the parts or you can.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

MotoMike

Where are you located?  I found the cover, how much for the gasket and oil?

Mike

Toomey

Quote from: TRX450R_Racer on June 07, 2006, 03:41:46 PM
If anyone doesn't want to have the dealer do the job, I can do it for you. I'm very reasonable and can do it while you wait. No down time. I can supply the parts or you can.

He did a big job on my RM, don't be skeptical or worried in the least.  He's a one of a kind guy who's got the tools and know-how and is just helping out.  Awesome way of living man.
Looking for a junker dirt bike project.

apkkfx400

Saturday, after I got home from riding in ONF.  I came home to find a safety recall on my '05 Kawasaki for the clutch cover issue that stated they would absorb the cost of the repairs=parts/labor.  If you haven't done the repair, I would recommend calling Kawasaki and finding out if they will cover it.  But if you have more money then time, I guess do it yourself.

TRX450R_Racer

Thanks for the info. I will see if Suzuki is stepping up also. Is there a recall number on the letter?
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

apkkfx400

Quote from: TRX450R_Racer on June 12, 2006, 12:35:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I will see if Suzuki is stepping up also. Is there a recall number on the letter?

I'm at work and the letter is sitting at home-there is a recall #-I will post that and the contact phone # to Kawasaki tomorrow.

TRX450R_Racer

Quote from: apkkfx400 on June 12, 2006, 03:30:10 PM
Quote from: TRX450R_Racer on June 12, 2006, 12:35:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I will see if Suzuki is stepping up also. Is there a recall number on the letter?

I'm at work and the letter is sitting at home-there is a recall #-I will post that and the contact phone # to Kawasaki tomorrow.
Thanks
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

TRX450R_Racer

My buddy got the recall letter from Suzuki today.  WOOOOO HOOOO!! No he can get his money back.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

blaster30

I just bought a used Z-400 and I noticed that on the Suzuki site in the upper right hand corner there is a link to Recalls. http://www.suzukicycles.com/Recalls/16.  I called the local dealer and she looked up the vin and told me that the bike had this recall applied, but there was another recall on it.  She is getting the details about it and will call me back.  I will update when I have the information.

Thanks!!

TRX450R_Racer

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.