HMF UTILITY SERIES PIPE ON A 05 KODIAK 450 LOST 12-14 MPH TOP END ANYONE KNOW Y

Started by gtnwood, June 03, 2006, 09:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtnwood

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE, I PUT AN HMF UTILITY SERIES PIPE ON MY 450 KODIAK AND INSTALLED THE 140 JET AS SUGGESTED. I GOT A LITTLE BETTER BOTTOM END BUT LOST APPROX. 12-14 MPH TOP END, ALSO ON THE TOP END IT WAS POPPING BAD LIKE IT WAS RUNNIN OUT OF GAS. HMF THEN SAID PUT A 142 IN, I DID PICKED UP 1 MORE MPH STILL POPPIN ON TOP END. DIFFERENT HMF TECH SAID I NEEDED 150-152 JET OKAY I PUT IN 147.5 TO START WITH LOST 1-2 MPH POPPIN STOPPED BUT NOW IM HITTIN THE REV LIMITER. WHAT GIVES? ANY TECHNICAL ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED, BEFORE I JUST GO BACK TO STOCK.  >:( THANX
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition
that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
(From a Texas A&M student)
2005 Kodiak 450, 26" 589s

Jodee

maybe ur not gettin enogh air now take the filtter otu and see how it runs

Chillinthemost

Quote from: Jodee on June 04, 2006, 12:30:23 AM
maybe ur not gettin enogh air now take the filtter otu and see how it runs
Dont take your air filter out. I dont think that you can remove the air box lid on that machine because it holds the filter in place. If you only added the exhaust and the air filter assembly is all stock then the jetting shouldn't be way off. A few sizes up should do it. If you have added vents to your air box or something to increase incoming airflow then the jet would need to be even larger. What was the stock jet size? Make sure that the rubber boots from the filter to carb and carb to motor are not damaged or improperly installed, this will create problems and and make it run lean.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

gtnwood

I believe it was an odd size jet like a 132.7 if the boots between the carb and engine or air box are damaged would i still be able to hit the rev limiter?
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition
that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
(From a Texas A&M student)
2005 Kodiak 450, 26" 589s

Alba450

Quote from: Jodee on June 04, 2006, 12:30:23 AM
maybe ur not gettin enogh air now take the filtter otu and see how it runs

Taking the Filter out will ruin your quad :no 

Thanks to my Sponsors at.....

***OMF Performance***
***Liquid Performance***
***Fasst Flexx Handlebars***
***Laeger's Racing***
***AMSOIL Racing***
***VORTEX Racing***
***PowerMadd Handgaurds***

"Your mom? Yeah I know her. She took more shots in the mouth than Stallone in Rocky III"

Exmx54

If you are hitting the rev limiter, you couldn't have lost any top speed

Chillinthemost

If you are hitting the rev limiter and have lost top speed then your CVT is not upshifting. They have to be serviced once in a while, especially if water has been in it.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

peanut

Are you actually hitting the rev limiter or is it just breaking up on top end?

Da_Mtg_Man
1986 Suzuki Samurai

gtnwood

It's not breaking up and popping like it was when I was way lean, but now that I am rich it seems to stumble on the top end, now only 37mph, like it's cutting out, I had lost another 3mph. Just for the heck of it I ran it with the air box lid off and picked up 4 mph. I think I may purchase one of those dial a jet kits and lean it some more to see what happens, or I may take it back to stock jetting with the stock pipe to see if I get my top end mph back since it dropped only after the new pipe was installed and it was'nt submerged I dont think the cvt is gonna be the problem. I was hoping someone else in Florida had put a hmf utility series pipe on a Kodiak and see if they had the same problem since hmf is apparently unable to help me. thanx for everyones comments thus far. Keep em coming.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition
that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
(From a Texas A&M student)
2005 Kodiak 450, 26" 589s

Moose

Go get some new spark plugs.

Run a new one for a short while as the quad sits now, then remove it and see what color the ceramic is. Others here will have to tell you how long to run it.

There are others here that can tell you more than I, but I know you want the plug to be brown vs black.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

Chillinthemost

If you picked up speed by removing your lid then you are too rich. Drop jets one size at a time until it run right. Better to start rich (which it sounds like you are) and then lean it up from there till it runs right.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

Chevy1500z71

we had the same problem on my dads wolverine 450 wich is thge same thing and u cant use the jets that hmf gives you, u have to buy a dyno jet kit and go by the directions it comes with...

gtnwood

Thats what I was lookin for, someone who has the same type problem and the same type bike, thanks a ton kawasaki400racer. I was startin to consider a dyno jet kit now I am for sure gettin one.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition
that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
(From a Texas A&M student)
2005 Kodiak 450, 26" 589s

Chillinthemost

Do what you got to do but EVERYTHING that I have read on Dyno jet kits is bad. They use their own number system and it is confusing. This is not difficult man, if you will spend a few bucks and buy 4 or 5 jets in small steps above stock you will get it dialed in. You need to find someone to help you. A pipe alone will not throw it off that much.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12