How do I know if my frame is tweaked?

Started by svtbolt04, June 04, 2006, 09:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svtbolt04

Today I had a head on collision with a squid on a threewheeler going the wrong way on a track down here. Bent my bumper mounts pretty bad, broke my front plastic mounts and bent my key. Front end still seems straight, arm wise. I just need to know how to figure out if my frame got tweaked or bent.

Thanks.
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

svtbolt04

I love how people read the thread that has the main question in it, but dont reply..
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

Fox17

??? i guess if it feels right its fine. if it breaks or rides really funny then i guess its not. i would look it over and see if theres any obvious bends or cracks. never had that happen before. what an idiot. didnt he see everybody else going the other way?

svtbolt04

nah, it was a woods course and I was ahead of everyone else, blind corner and I was in 3rd and saw him skidded into him. I got my front bumper mount back, but the bumper is screwed.
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

backinsaddle

I'm no expert, but here's what I would do.  I'd take the bolt out of my swingarm and put a long, straight rod in that fits snug and sticks out from each side a foot or two.  Now you've got something to take measurements from (to the spindles, a/arms, wherever you can get a reading) and make sure you've got the same measurements on both sides of the bike.  This should at least tell you if you're true and the frames not twisted from side to side. 

Chillinthemost

Look for obvious bends and cracked paint. The metal will bend but paint doesn't, it will crack.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

Smoknbanshee

take the frame down and have someone put it on a jig and take measurements.  about the only way to be for sure.
Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!

RAD 450r

XC FTR #28C
-KFX450R, Hipers
- Silver L