Painting plastics

Started by backinsaddle, May 16, 2006, 02:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backinsaddle

Several people have posted threads in the past regarding painting plastics.  I'm thinking about doing some cool designs on my sons quad, so I've been doing some research.

Found this guy who painted his wifes plastics, take a look (don't know if you have to have an account or not to view it?)

http://www.theatvcompound.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9446&hl=paint

I sent him an email asking what paint he used, and he said: "I used house of colors automotive paint with a plastic flex all in the paint the same thing they use on car bumpers.Never had it crack or flake even after i roll my quad."

Ida_Mann

that's the way I've heard about it being done,,,,,I personally was just gonna use the Krylon Fusion paint,,,,I painted a plastic patio chair with a maroon color of the Krylon stuff about a year ago,,,,,and even after being outside this entire time and being used,,,,the paint looks just like it did when I painted it.

I'm trying to decide what color to do the 400EX in now ;-)

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

backinsaddle

I have a fair amount of experience with prepping/painting cars, but my concern was what paint to use that won't crack everytime the plastics get bent a little bit.  I was thinking about using either Parma's Faskolor line (paint made for plastic RC cars; it's meant to hold up to crashing and bending), or I was going to use Createx, a multipurpose, stick to anything airbrush paint.  I don't like the idea of spraying from a can (Krylon Fusion) as I can't get the quality I can get spraying with a gun or airbrush.  After talking to this guy, sounds like the HOK (House of Color) paints are the way to go.  By the way, for anyone that doesn't know, HOK makes all the cool paints like shimrin, kameleon, flakes, pearls).  I've purchased a bunch of paint supplies from this website: http://www.hokpaint.com and they've been great.  You can also buy the product in 2 & 4 oz sizes, which makes it affordable

FishaHallic

If you do paint, post some pictures please.   ;D

backinsaddle

Sure, it will be towards the end of summer though, as my son (6 year old), wants to help, so I'm patiently teaching him.  Plus he needs to decide what design he wants

FishaHallic


Ida_Mann

well, for those of us without access to the professional painting stuff,,,,,Krylon here I come ;-)

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

backinsaddle

Ida, don't need much...any cheapo compressor and a $30 paint gun works fine...but with the Krylon, as long as you spray multiple even light coats and polish it out it should still look great.  If they make a clear that would be a good idea, and definitely sand before painting...not sure Krylon requires a primer coat?

Ida_Mann

the only thing I did to the chair before I painted it was to wash them,,,,,,,probably would have a better look if I sanded first, but it WAS just a test.

I have a cheapo compressor, maybe I'll buy a paint gun for this.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

backinsaddle

Ida, you need help or want me to walk you through it, let me know, be more than glad to

Ida_Mann

one of these days when I have money again,,,,I'll go buy the gun and some cheap paint to practice.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com