uni foam or k&n filter

Started by klutchbuster400, May 07, 2006, 09:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klutchbuster400

hey, talking to a buddy of mines,he thinks that uni makes better air filters then k&n. Since i really dont know much about either, whcih one is really better. He told me taht k&n blocks alot of airflow. I really dont know what to believe, i run a k&n and he runs a uni, so maybe he's just defending his stuff.
any input?

53yfz450

i have both i like the k&N better. but make sure you run it with an outerwear you dont want sand to get in thier :no
WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  [url="HTTP://gandgracing.com"]HTTP://gandgracing.com[/url] CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

[url="http://myspace.com/jakegunn53"]http://myspace.com/jakegunn53[/url]

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.

klutchbuster400

Quote from: 53yfz450 on May 07, 2006, 09:44:15 PM
i have both i like the k&N better. but make sure you run it with an outerwear you dont want sand to get in thier :no
what do you mean outerwear?
what is that, something that covers the filter / air box?

Jax_Rdr_01

an outerwear is just a thing that goes around the airfilter and acts like a pre filter which helps block out sand and acess dirt.
05 400ex
two brother m-7 pipe
k&n filter
dyno jet kit
WB rev kit
um nerfs
07 King Quad 450

klutchbuster400

Quote from: Jax_Rdr_01 on May 07, 2006, 10:16:45 PM
an outerwear is just a thing that goes around the airfilter and acts like a pre filter which helps block out sand and acess dirt.
oh ok thanks alot, any idea where i can pick one up, and a price range?
thanks again.

Fox17

any motocycle place probably. around 30 bucks. got one on my 300ex it worx great. :)

svtbolt04

The outerwear is around 15, and depending on the model of bike, I would say your 400 would run around 40bucks.

If you do alot of trail riding, I would go with a foam filter. If you want strictly performance, and you clean your filter every other ride, go with the K&N. Plus, you have to buy the special oil to spray it down with after you clean it, along with the cleaner.
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

TRX450R_Racer

I personally don't like k&n filters for dusty off road conditions. I only use foam filters. I use k&n on my truck but not on the quad. My feelings are if it needs another filter around the filter it can't be too good.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

klutchbuster400

Quote from: TRX450R_Racer on May 08, 2006, 09:27:05 AM
I personally don't like k&n filters for dusty off road conditions. I only use foam filters. I use k&n on my truck but not on the quad. My feelings are if it needs another filter around the filter it can't be too good.
ya know that does make alot of sense! but since my bike came with a k&n i might as well buy an outerwear sine it will most likely cost less then a foam filter.

RAD 450r

I prefer foam, seems to trap the dirt, but that does make more sense for your situation
XC FTR #28C
-KFX450R, Hipers
- Silver L

FLCat

I think the foam filters are a better way to go.  Just my opinion though.
I have my license to chill. 

05 Arctic Cat 650 V-Twin

kfx400rob

i have a k&n with an outerweres, and i had to clean the filter like every other ride, but i got an airbox outerwares for 15 bucks and it helps alot, u can buy the cleaner and oil in a kit at advanced autoparts for 12 dollars
06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.


53yfz450

11 bucks :P but yeah they help alot. and when i practice i use 2.
WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  [url="HTTP://gandgracing.com"]HTTP://gandgracing.com[/url] CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

[url="http://myspace.com/jakegunn53"]http://myspace.com/jakegunn53[/url]

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.

TRX450R_Racer

Quote from: klutchbuster400 on May 08, 2006, 02:57:32 PM
Quote from: TRX450R_Racer on May 08, 2006, 09:27:05 AM
I personally don't like k&n filters for dusty off road conditions. I only use foam filters. I use k&n on my truck but not on the quad. My feelings are if it needs another filter around the filter it can't be too good.
ya know that does make alot of sense! but since my bike came with a k&n i might as well buy an outerwear sine it will most likely cost less then a foam filter.

So your expensive ATV engine isn't worth the extra $15 for a foam filter. You can pay a little now or a lot later.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

klutchbuster400

Quote from: TRX450R_Racer on May 08, 2006, 09:47:11 PM
Quote from: klutchbuster400 on May 08, 2006, 02:57:32 PM
Quote from: TRX450R_Racer on May 08, 2006, 09:27:05 AM
I personally don't like k&n filters for dusty off road conditions. I only use foam filters. I use k&n on my truck but not on the quad. My feelings are if it needs another filter around the filter it can't be too good.
ya know that does make alot of sense! but since my bike came with a k&n i might as well buy an outerwear sine it will most likely cost less then a foam filter.

So your expensive ATV engine isn't worth the extra $15 for a foam filter. You can pay a little now or a lot later.

ummmm, i seriously doubt my engine will blow, or recieve much, if any damage becuase of the filter i use. Like anything if you take care of it then you'l be ok. i didnt say i wasnt going to clean the filter after buying an outerwear.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com