What if Harley Davidson made 4-Wheelers?

Started by enniehall, May 04, 2006, 12:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If Harley Davidson made 4-wheelers (Sport and Utilities) would that interest anyone?

Yes
17 (30.4%)
No
39 (69.6%)

Total Members Voted: 54

enniehall

I know another stupid poll, but I was thinking the other day how good the Harley name and brand is and if they expanded into other things like 4-wheelers would there be a market for them.  Just curious to know what other people think.
Mud-It's like whiskey to a drunk or poker to a gambler.

MuddFreak77

chain drive and way over priced, but would be cool.

You going to L-cross this weekend?

Freakk
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

enniehall

I have the weekend off but everyone I normally camp with have decided not to go...so I may go up for a day.  You and the crew gonna be there?
Mud-It's like whiskey to a drunk or poker to a gambler.

MuddFreak77

Don't know yet, if I do go I'll be sure to give you a call.

Freakk
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

VForcedave

Back to the Harley question. I believe a few of my friends and I have had this conversation many times. I think the VTwin 883 motor can be modified for weight and horsepower and drop it in a beefy frame for sport/baja style riding. I ride a Harley and a ATV/ everything that motors, and I think a Harley ATV would be great!
2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.

FLCat

I'm thinking just having the Harley name on it would make it overpriced.   Not saying I would never ride one, but right now I'm fond of not having payments.  lol 
I have my license to chill. 

05 Arctic Cat 650 V-Twin

klutchbuster400

hmmm,
striaght pipe, and it goes on al four, and even two if you want it too. what kind of people are they trying to attract here?lol jk

my nieghbor has a harley, them things are huge, heavy, and powerful, a quad version would need a heck of a frame and suspension!

TRX450R_Racer

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

Scramdaddy

I might buy a Tractor if they made em   ;)
2004 Scrambler 500 4x4 .  [url="//gen3usa.com"]Gen3usa.com[/url]

MachineDog

It'd rule butt. Would probably be something like the Bombardiers and Deeres though.
[url="http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg"]http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/4291/p517000123ek.jpg[/url]
06 Rancher 350 4x4 - K&N, 1.5" Snorkel, 26" Mudbugs.
Spot Reserved for Big Bore.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/machinedogtag/[/url] - Click to see our pics.

Ida_Mann

but if Harley made ATV's, the enviromentalists would really have an issue with a quad that not only tears up the land,,,but drops oils everywhere  :D

but on a serious note,,,,I think they mightacould get into the utility market with that 883 engine,,,I can't possibly see them getting into a sport.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Dr.Dirt

I wouldn't buy one. I dislike Harley's alot.

odie

they would leak oil, ride rough, high maint,over priced,black leather chaps ect.....no thanks.

yunt2ride

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

geektrx

florida will no longer have a place to ride atv, thats what would happen(not that it is not already happening)

hog's suck too loud, too slow, too heavy, too much of everything that is wrong with a bike
Yes, I do talk to myself, it is the only way I can have an intelligent conversation. There is a fine line between genius and insanity, and the only trait that separates the two is the amount of pay.

06 TRX
94 Kawi Bayou
91 Seadoo SP
91 Kawi TS

TurboBanshee_kid

No because there bikes are Slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New to the Engine 421cc Cheetah Cubs that are fully race ported, Hot Rods 4mm Stroker Crank, Ricky Stator fly wheel and 200watt stator also timing plate is at +5, NOSS Head with 17cc domes, V force 3 reeds and 36mm MIKUNI Flat Slide carbs

Honda328i

Sounds like a Dirtwheels Exclusive April Fools bike  ;D  That would be the V-twin MUD HAWG.  Too heavy for jumping.
[url="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg"]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg[/url]

mrbones

IMO:

Harley sells an image when they sell a bike. That image doesn't include ATVs. No one would buy one. Besides, the majority of their core market, baby boomers, don't ride quads.
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

Chuck_Norris

Quote from: Mr.BoNeS on May 05, 2006, 11:17:39 AM
IMO:

Harley sells an image when they sell a bike. That image doesn't include ATVs. No one would buy one. Besides, the majority of their core market, baby boomers, don't ride quads.
I agree, Harelys merely would not fly, speaking as a prior owner they would most certainly price themselves out of the market and be to expensive to repair, keep in mind that HD does not only mean Harley Davidson it also mean Hundred Dollars for each visit to the shop

enniehall

Lets not forget that HD is also part of Buell now (for those who don't know it's like a street bike) the ulysses has a Thunderstorm® 1203cc Air/Oil/fan-cooled, four-stroke, 45º V-Twin still a chain drive (I really don't know much about engines but I know it's different from the current engines used by HD) but their market is expanding to younger generations.  With that of course mods have been made to the engines and suspensions, as where if they did create a quad mods would be made.

I figured their product would be much like a bombardier, powerful decent bikes with a high tag. But I think it would be something worth checking out if HD ever did decide to make quad.
Mud-It's like whiskey to a drunk or poker to a gambler.

Numkut

Won't get into my ideas to much on this topic but Harley is all image.

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html
YZ250
Grizzly 660 (Dad/Moms ride)
[url="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg"]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg[/url]

Fox17


Alba450

"Harley's their the best ride a mile walk the rest"

I hate them their loud and just kinda boring.  It would be kool if they made a ute but it has to be better than the BRP 800 to really be the best seller...
Thanks to my Sponsors at.....

***OMF Performance***
***Liquid Performance***
***Fasst Flexx Handlebars***
***Laeger's Racing***
***AMSOIL Racing***
***VORTEX Racing***
***PowerMadd Handgaurds***

"Your mom? Yeah I know her. She took more shots in the mouth than Stallone in Rocky III"

VForcedave

Those people I have known that like to bash Harleys ( leaking oil, slow, boring, parts are falling off, blah blah blah) can't afford one anyway. They are actually closet harley lovers but do not want to admit it. Look at resale value, longevity. A harley built in the last 20 years is capable of 100 thousand miles with no real motor work. Try getting that out of a rice rocket. To each his own. 
2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.

wheelie_boy

well in the street bike industry, i would much rather by a ninja, r1, cbr, or gsx over any harley.  But thats just cuz of my need for speed style.  So in the quads i would probably stay in the same line of manufacturs .
05 kx 250f

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com