I know its not an atv but can anyone help please

Started by Loven It, April 04, 2006, 01:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loven It

Hi everyone -

I know this is not atv related but there are so many people on here with different trades I thought I would ask for help.

I have a 98 ford Contour - The hood will not open. The latch inside the car just moves back and forth really loosely. The cable is still attached to it - I took the cover off and can see the cable still hooked to the pull lever to open the hood. I have tried to pull on it and push on the hood at the same time and nothing. I have tried to pull the cable through and it will not come through. The cable is broken somewhere under the hood all you can hear is it clicking when you pull on it. I have tried going in from the grill and can move the latch and slide it over like it needs to be but it still will not open. I really can't afford the labor rates at Ford and they can't even tell me they can fix it. I was told "well you tried what we would have and this can get very labor intensive as we might have to take the car apart and still can't guarantee we can get it open either." I just had my oil changed and I am a quart low - and I haven't had a tune up in well I don't want to say to avoid the emabrassment. I have all the stuff now to do a tune up and can't open the hood  :'(

Anyone have any suggestions they are willing to offer  ???
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

wilburz

locate the bolts holding the latch pieces on and un bolt it.

Pull the cable out with vice grips from inside the car. Then you will know how far up the cable you need to be to cut into it and pull it.
1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler

Loven It

Quote from: wilburz on April 04, 2006, 01:03:18 PM
locate the bolts holding the latch pieces on and un bolt it.

Pull the cable out with vice grips from inside the car. Then you will know how far up the cable you need to be to cut into it and pull it.

Thank you for the suggestion - Are you talking about the bolts that are on the inside lever? Remove those? I took the plastic case around it apart and can see the cable attached to it and that is where I tired to pull it. Is that what you mean? Or something else?
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

gery350

#3
wilburz right. if you cant manually activate the latch, try removing it(you'll have to remove the grill), the latch itself should be held by (2) 13mm bolts. where r u located at. maybe one of us could help?
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

Loven It

Quote from: gery350 on April 04, 2006, 01:26:12 PM
wilburz right. if you cant manually activate the latch, try removing it(you'll have to remove the grill), the latch itself should be held by (2) 13mm bolts. where r u located at. maybe one of us could help?

I am sorry I seem confused - but I am.  lol

So I should try to remove the grill (not the latch inside the car) and remove those bolts right? The grill looks like it is attached to something under the hood. Just pull the grill off?   

I will try anything than have to take it to Ford for 85.00 hr labor!!
I am in Clearwater/Largo.
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

wilburz

You should be able to get a socket extension or two together with a socket joint thing and go through the front grill and unbolt the latch peice. Either the top one or the bottom. which ever is easier.

Is the inside latch broke? Can you pull the cable from the inside? Pull it out and find out how far in it is broke.  Then maybe you can climb under the car and find the cable, or go through the fender well, and cut into the cable case and grab the cable with pliers and pull it.     

1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler

Loven It

Quote from: wilburz on April 04, 2006, 01:43:54 PM
Is the inside latch broke? Can you pull the cable from the inside? Pull it out and find out how far in it is broke.  Then maybe you can climb under the car and find the cable, or go through the fender well, and cut into the cable case and grab the cable with pliers and pull it.     

The inside latch is very loose when you pull on it. I can see the cable (it is still hooked to the inside latch) and grab it but it will not pull through.   

I will try to go through the front grill and see what happens. I don't want to break the grill (I have already broke 2 little peices on it trying to open it)
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

wilburz

IF it won't pull through then it probably is not broke. Grab it with some vice grips and pull the thing hard. 8)
1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler

Loven It

Quote from: wilburz on April 04, 2006, 02:51:12 PM
IF it won't pull through then it probably is not broke. Grab it with some vice grips and pull the thing hard. 8)

We have been pulling it hard still will not do anything  :)
I will contiune to try  -  thanks for the help guys I will try all suggestions tonight and let ya know
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

Loven It

Quote from: wilburz on April 04, 2006, 01:43:54 PM
You should be able to get a socket extension or two together with a socket joint thing and go through the front grill and unbolt the latch peice. Either the top one or the bottom. which ever is easier.


Hey Wilburz - thanks for the advice it worked this way!!  ;) Except I had to unbolt them all - Now I have a little spring that came off of the latch that I have no clue where it goes and it is still pretty much broken - but I was able to add the oil I needed . I really appreciate your help.  ;)

Now stupid me in order to prove I didn't need any men to help with the labor on this I broke the entire front grill off!! I thought it would just snap off cause I had to take the entire latch off - well it snapped alright   :o completely broke it.
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

gery350

Quote from: Loven It on April 05, 2006, 03:31:48 PM
I broke the entire front grill off!! I thought it would just snap off cause I had to take the entire latch off - well it snapped alright   :o completely broke it.


i told you  to remove it. ;) ;D
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

wilburz

You never said you were female. That is a whole nother set of directions. ;D

The spring must hold the latch in the open position when the hood is up, I would guess.

Now you can get one of those custom gold grillzzzss. 8)
1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler

Loven It

Quote from: wilburz on April 05, 2006, 04:51:30 PM
You never said you were female. That is a whole nother set of directions. ;D

The spring must hold the latch in the open position when the hood is up, I would guess.

Now you can get one of those custom gold grillzzzss. 8)

Loven it would be a pretty girlie screen name for a guy   :P

I can't wait to see what kinda grillzzzss I can get !!  :)

Quote from: gery350 on April 05, 2006, 04:42:53 PM
Quote from: Loven It on April 05, 2006, 03:31:48 PM
I broke the entire front grill off!! I thought it would just snap off cause I had to take the entire latch off - well it snapped alright   :o completely broke it.

i told you  to remove it. ;) ;D

I was trying to be very gentle and then I got mad at it ripped it off !   :)
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT