racing....which mini quad?

Started by wyldelee, March 19, 2006, 09:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyldelee


I need some some advice on which quad to get for my son? He would like to start doing some racing (mostly XC and some MX).

He has been riding since he was 6 (Suzuki LT-80), but never raced. He is 9 years old now and about 5'. Unfortunately, I did not read the racing rules before I sold his LT-80, and bought him a Honda TRX250EX for Xmas.
Now that I have read the rules, I see that he cannot race the TRX250EX in XC or MX. He was way big (tall and skinny) on the LT-80, so the Honda 250 seemed perfect. He handles it really well out on the trails, but due to his age it is off limits for racing.

So this time I would like to ask for some advice before I make another dumb mom mistake.

Thanks in advance,
Lee


KD 428

maybe a trx90 w/ alot of upgrades?
HONDA CRF450R

klutchbuster400

cobra!!!!
if you got about 8k to spare lol, dont know about any other big mini quads though...

Chuck_Norris

#3
aloth of the 90 cc and 50 cc share the same JOG style  engine that has many mods available. how old  is your son and how big? you could actually find a 250 frame and slide a well modified 90cc engine bwteen the rails.
check out this link
http://www.lucky7racing.com/
http://forumsminiatv.proboards58.com/index.cgi

KD 428

um srry chuck but that looks like a gambling site :o
HONDA CRF450R

Chuck_Norris


wyldelee

Thanks Chuck I have been checking out the miniatv.com site-great resource. My boy is 9 years old and 5' tall and weighs approx 75lbs.
Thank you,
Lee

wyldelee

Ok I am thinking about what some folks have suggested:
either the Honda trx90, the Aasco Pro MX, or the new Xtreme Typhoon. 
Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Lee

Chuck_Norris

you might want to consider a unit with th JOG style engine. Mods are reasonable
and available. kasea, arctic cat, polaris mini predator, ETC.

Chillinthemost

Quote from: wyldelee on March 19, 2006, 09:50:58 AM

I need some some advice on which quad to get for my son? He would like to start doing some racing (mostly XC and some MX).

He has been riding since he was 6 (Suzuki LT-80), but never raced. He is 9 years old now and about 5'. Unfortunately, I did not read the racing rules before I sold his LT-80, and bought him a Honda TRX250EX for Xmas.
Now that I have read the rules, I see that he cannot race the TRX250EX in XC or MX. He was way big (tall and skinny) on the LT-80, so the Honda 250 seemed perfect. He handles it really well out on the trails, but due to his age it is off limits for racing.

So this time I would like to ask for some advice before I make another dumb mom mistake.

Thanks in advance,
Lee


What a mom   :Clap.gif
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

wyldelee

I like to think so........ but not reading that simple rule book sure is an expensive lesson!
So now I am looking for a (legal) Honda trx90. To top it off after reading the rules my 13 year old daughter can't race her Raptor 350 either! Geez!!!!!!!!!!

blindkaeta


wyldelee

Those Cobra's are more than the dang LTR! I'm not that good of a mom!  ;)

By the way that guy we were talking about bought a Honda 250 dirt bike, but his brother hasn't bought anything yet.

Chuck_Norris

Quote from: blindkaeta on March 22, 2006, 10:43:58 PM
Cobra!!!
Out of the box these things rock but for the beginner they would be dangerous for the unexperienced  rider.

Teej

Quote from: wyldelee on March 22, 2006, 10:29:10 PM
I like to think so........ but not reading that simple rule book sure is an expensive lesson!
So now I am looking for a (legal) Honda trx90. To top it off after reading the rules my 13 year old daughter can't race her Raptor 350 either! Geez!!!!!!!!!!


Hi Lee, hi to the kids too!

I don't have the rule book, but as for you daughter, at 13 yrs old I thought she can race in the 300 class. Is the 350 too big? If so, can't she race your son's 250? I have heard tha ATP can do some awesome things to the 250 honda engine. I think she would do fine begining with it in the 300 class. Having the engine worked up would be cheaper than getting another bike. Just a thought.

Teej
Kawasaki 400 4x4 Prarie, Mine
Polaris 330 Trailboss, Wife's
Honda 250 Recon, Daughters
Kazuma 110 Falcon Mkll, Sons

Teej

Lee,

In the sale section check out the XC 250R [if you are looking for your daughter too?]

This is a hot bike! Not sure what he wants for it as he is asking for a trade.

FYI
Kawasaki 400 4x4 Prarie, Mine
Polaris 330 Trailboss, Wife's
Honda 250 Recon, Daughters
Kazuma 110 Falcon Mkll, Sons

arod

 the cobra is the best bang for the buck in mx racing. that quad comes with everything(except fluids and rider)to race and be competitive right out of the box.  most powerfull engine in a mini,ext a-rms,shocks,ext axle,exhaust,stem,bars,wheels,tires etc.  ....while at gatorback spoke to a couple of parents who own them and they all said the same thing.

wyldelee

Yup, I would tend to agree, but the only problem is the Cobra costs $8k and is really setup for MX. My kid wants to race XC and do some MX. I'm not saying it can't be done, because there is 1 kid (Walker Fowler) that is racing XC nationals (GNCC) and winning---but he is a factory supported rider.   

Lee

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com