Sportsman Brake Question??? HELP!

Started by bugmanjr, March 16, 2006, 09:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugmanjr

Yet Another Saga of my on going  :banghead.gif with my POS Polaris!!
I have recently went through 2 sets of front brake pads in 4 rides!  The back brake is fine and wear is normal... I have blead all three calipers with a hand pump and by original method 3 times and still have this issue.. The handle feels firm and no loss of pressure.. No leaks of any sort that I can see, smell, or hear.. I have cleaned both calipers and inspected seals both inside and out and lubed whole housing with PB Blaster.. No visible kinks in either front lines... and bleeder valve does not leak..    What makes everything so strange is I will work the brake with the bike in the air and the tires off.. After working the brake the rotor seems to spin just fine with not much resistance.. I then go ride, come back and half the pads are gone??  and there is no brake noises during the ride? If anyone has any ideas I would very much so apreciate a post.>
{Public Service Anouncement}Do Not Buy A Polaris!

Thanks In Advance
08 Sportsman 800 HO
08 Sportsman 800 Touring
04 Sportsman 700 12in Lift
81 Honda 200 Three Wheeler
WWW.MRBUGSTERMITEANDPEST.COM

lswjth2

Hey bugmanjr. I have an 01 and a 99 sportsman, and thats about what i get out of my pads riding in the mud. I no longer change them anymore, i just drive a little slower and more careful. I have a friend with an 06 450 sportsman and on the 4th ride,lt's time to change the pads. Try using the EBC brand extreme pads and see if they work any better for you. The mud basically becomes sand paper and eats them...By the way, i see you are in SW florida. Are you going to the commissioner meeting on Tuesday 3/28? If not can you please e-mail them...Thxs

yunt2ride

Not had any problems with my new 500HO. Purchased in November and still good to go and I ride a lot of mud and water. I always clean my quad after each use, espacially around the brake area.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

bugmanjr

lswjth2

Without a doubt will E-Mail them!    its weird because my rear pads are fine and so were the fronts until my second pad change and now they dont last at all! first change they lastes over 4 months and the original stock pads lasted like 7 months!   by the way i never barely ever even hit the brakes????

08 Sportsman 800 HO
08 Sportsman 800 Touring
04 Sportsman 700 12in Lift
81 Honda 200 Three Wheeler
WWW.MRBUGSTERMITEANDPEST.COM

yunt2ride

Have you checked to see if your  rotor is scarred
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

bugmanjr

yunt2ride
Rotor seems to be in ok shape..  any other ideas?
08 Sportsman 800 HO
08 Sportsman 800 Touring
04 Sportsman 700 12in Lift
81 Honda 200 Three Wheeler
WWW.MRBUGSTERMITEANDPEST.COM

yunt2ride

Not sure if it would affect it but it may be your wheel bearings, or the hub is just not quiet enough. I cannot remember just how everything looks on there without going out and taking my tire off but since you say it works fine in the air, maybe when its sitting on the ground the wheels are turning in at the top and making the pads touch the rotor. It may be that your bearings are bad or the nut that holds the hub on may need tightened just a little. Remember not to overtighten it.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

bugmanjr

yunt2ride

I was thinking the same thing yesterday so I went out and checked it.. the bearings are almost new however they were aftermarket so they are not a snug fit.. I can wiggle the hub just a litle on either side.. So  that leads me to believe the weight of the bike toes the tire out just a little and intern pushes against the pads..

Thanks for the help.
08 Sportsman 800 HO
08 Sportsman 800 Touring
04 Sportsman 700 12in Lift
81 Honda 200 Three Wheeler
WWW.MRBUGSTERMITEANDPEST.COM

yunt2ride

Sounds like the nut that holds the hub on could be tightened just a hair. Just remember a little is alot. Not to tight but not to loose either.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo