XC tire selection.

Started by svtbolt04, March 11, 2006, 08:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svtbolt04

Hey guys, I sold my front shocks and now am shopping for tires. I already purchased some rear I-razr's 20x9's. 

Now, I am stuck on my front tire selection. I either want razr 2's or matching i-razr fronts. But, either one, I dont know whether to pick 22inch fronts or 21inch.

Any of you xc racers chime in and give me your advice?
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

kevoquad

i have holeshot xcr 21s on my yfz, and i love them.  heres the deal,   22s get u just a hair more clearance, but the sidewalls give a bit too much for my riding style.  i'd go with the 21s   but make sure u get 6 ply.     i'd also look into some beadlocks if u dont have them already,     it sucks spending $150 on tires and having one getting popped off the bead during a race and u cant even finish.  you'll love the i-razrs in the mud,  but they have a bad tendency to wear quickly. u cant go wrong with razr IIs       lots of gncc guys run them.   when in doubt   follow the pros.       i have a set of 21x7x10 fronts on itp bajas, and 20x11x9 on douglas beadlocks if ur interested
04 yfz450     " quad open #1b "
03 kodiak 400 4x4
04 nissan titan

svtbolt04

thanks for the reply, but I have hipers on the way. 9-9 and 4+1 offset.

823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

SLOW450R

Razr II rears are a thing of the past, they dont hook up nearly as well as I-Razr's.....they arent anywhere near as controllable in a hard slide as Razr's and their increased traction isnt much better.  If you have to only run 1 set of tires for XC make it I Razr's

SVT......with the YFZ you are going to want to run 21 inch Razr II fronts.  Trust me, there were a bunch of people that made the switch in FTR after some of us that run the nationals were turned onto this late last season.  If $$ allows the absolute best combination is to have a set of I-Razr rears and a set of regular Razr rears mounted on two sets of Hiper rims.  THis gives you the best of both worlds, wet or dry.

1SLOW450R

03 400 EX.........best pit/practice bike ever
04 450R............a slow quad for an even slower rider!!
FTR #5 A-OPEN

Special Thanks to ATP Racing and my 05-06 Sponsors
www.allterrainperformance.com ...................407-880-3171
Powermadd Handguards

jeepnrocks

I have ran the i razr and razr 2 and feel the i razr is far superior. 
My i razrs are past half worn done and are still grabbing like crazy. I can pretty much only have one set of tires at a time along with something beat up for a backup. The i razr is the tops on my list.. However I am interested to see what hte new gncc tire from itp is going to be like
Check us out if you have a 450.. or any quad for that matter!!
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/jeepnrocks/hqlogo33.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/jeepnrocks/hqlogo33.jpg[/url]

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com