Main Menu

Octane

Started by Shotgun, January 30, 2005, 02:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dookie

Quotei ran 110 in my 450r 2 times and i will never do it again. it ran noticeably hotter  and was much harder to crank. that was my experience


that sounds about right.. its gotta be hurting something at that point(higher octaine

Truegrit

I thought so, I'm looking for an old article I have on the subject. if I find it I'l post it.
'05 Honda Forman 500 ES
HMF Utility Exhaust, Dynojet Kit
Uni-Filter, Clutch Kit
26" Outlaw/Mudzilla combo on ITPs
[url="http://www.hondaforeman.com/"]http://www.hondaforeman.com/[/url]

Shotgun

Looks like I created a monster starting this thread. The reason I asked was I saw on another forum that a guy's Kawasaki woudn't run after switching from 87 to 93. I used to run 93 in my 86 Suzuki intruder and it ran great. I would switch if I thought it would help but it looks like there is no clear cut answer.

Truegrit

What kind of proof do they have? Any dyno results or SETP reports?

No need anything more than 87 octane in a stock engine. Higher octane rating does not mean more latent chemical engergy. The higher octane rated fuels have additives to stop he pinging or knocking associated with pre-detonation.

The octane number is a measure of a fuel's resistance to pinging/knocking. This pinging or knocking occurs when a fuel does not burn consistently across a combustion chamber. Instead, while the flame is spreading across the chamber, others areas of the fuel beginnng burning spontaneously, causing a violent collision of the flame front. Which is what causes the pinging. Raising the octane number of the fuel makes the fuel burn consistently across the combustion chamber. Severe damage can occur if an engine pings or knocks for long periods of time. Up until the mid-seventies, tetra-ethyl lead was added to the gas at the refinery to raise the octane of pump gas and to provide a protective barrier for valve seats. It was phased out after it was found a health hazard. Today's valve seats are hardened and do not require this protection. The old valve seats are soft and will micro-weld. And the slow recession of the valve seat under high temperature conditions.

octane links:
http://f.about.com/z/js/spr00.htm
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm
http://www.cyber-north.com/autotipnet/octane.html


This was posted by Txdoc2 in the Highlifter.com forum, so I will not take credit for it.

Check out the links for the CORRECT HONEST THIRD-PARTY info.

Below is an exerpt from the second link written by the Federal Trade Commision (FTC):

Will higher octane gasoline clean your engine better?
As a rule, high octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning your car's engine. In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires that all octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against the build-up of harmful levels of engine deposits during the expected life of your car.

Use this info and judge for yourself.

Shotgun- This was a great topic it got every's blood going. We get to see that evreyone has an idea or point to make right wrong or indifferent.

'05 Honda Forman 500 ES
HMF Utility Exhaust, Dynojet Kit
Uni-Filter, Clutch Kit
26" Outlaw/Mudzilla combo on ITPs
[url="http://www.hondaforeman.com/"]http://www.hondaforeman.com/[/url]

dreth

the spark knock was the reason i ran the 93 and the heat was just so apparent when i used the 110 that i went back to the 93 and wont change again unless it means walking ;)

1slowfox

#30
Higher octane is suppose to make and engine run cooler .. Though when I was running like 100 octane there for a while  i was running like  50/50 93 and 100 and it seemed to run better , but Def. was running warmer ... Now I run like 10% 100 and 90 % 93 and it runs great , I can run Pure 93 and it runs fine also but it does seem that the 100 gives it little more kick ....

Also Running Vp in a stock mustang thats is like 10/1 cr is a waste of the time/money only difference your noticing is in you head !


I run 104 at the Track in my car  when I running a big shot of giggle gas and not to mention its a 12/5/1 cr  Motor , The reason for this  is to prevent denation and leaning out of the motor while spraying .... When I drive the car on the street I run pure 93 If I know I'am going to be racing I'll throw a few gallons of 100/104 in the tank ..


I know quite a few guys who run AV gas in there cars and none of them have had any problems .. also know of a few engine builder who put 100+ octane on cars with freshly built high CR motors that are untuned to prevent detnation on start up ..


ED
I <3 Fiberglass !

BadCompany350

We run 110 with 175 lbs of compression in the banshee.  I wouldnt run anything more than what it needs compression and timing wise, because it is a waste of money.  I have ran on the same motor 93 pump, 50/50 race gas mix, 110 vp. 112 vp, and 116 vp and noticed no difference in my 300ft times.
Bad Company Racing's Jockey
Slow Banshee

Smoknbanshee

you have to be kidding badcompany....i mean when i run 100 octane instead of 93, i swear I am picking up a 1/2 second in 300 foot.....i can just feel it man......

Thank you lord that someone has actually put some truth up on this topic.  Thank you badcompany.  This is exactly what i was referring too.
Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!

BadCompany350

Yea a bunch of people think just by increasing octane you are automatically faster, i wish we could run 87, it would be alot cheaper.

BTW, smoke, too bad you don't get a half of a second, you might actually be able to keep up, i doubt it though.
Bad Company Racing's Jockey
Slow Banshee