Airboats?

Started by o4250, February 20, 2006, 09:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MudDobber

That was around 3PM in the afternoon with no soaper.  I've spent countless hours and more $$$ than I should have experimenting with my engine and hull setup.  The biggest factor was properly building a Cadillac engine for a 2:1 reduction.  The Cadillac has tons of torque at low rpms which allow alot of pitch to be put in the prop, especially when reducted.   
2004 Grizzly
2004 Rancher AT
2004 YFZ450
2004 Raptor 80
2004 Raptor 80
2004 507ci 15' Alumitech
2002 Jeep Wrangler

AlterEgo

Nice. That is impressive for that big of a boat. I've heard a few turning low rpms and they were quiet, but didn't really have the power. Looks like you've got it right.
Bombardier Outlander Max XT 800
Polaris Predator 50

foreman1

Quote from: Kris_Moore on February 22, 2006, 07:24:29 PM
here's a few pics of the 720, the 670 and the 580 engine. The 670 wasnt finished in these pics though.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/polaris_400_2_stroke/album?.dir=4447&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/polaris_400_2_stroke/my_photos


Kris,
I haven't seen too many  radial engines in airboats , very unique.
Although rare the 0-720's are seen every now and then .
How would you rate the overall performance of say an IO-540 to one of the 8cyl motors aircraft motors and would you happen to know much an overhaul one would run?
Thanks
NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185

florida gator

Quote from: o4250 on February 20, 2006, 09:47:46 PM
Is anyone on here into airboats? Me and my family used to be real big into them about 8 years ago. Then got into to buggys, and that moved into quads. I'd kinda like to get back into them. Are they laws real strict with them? Is their many areas to go with them? I was only about 8 when we sold them so I don't remeber much thats why I'm asking all these questions. Also if you have one post pictures please. ;D

The problem with the people who oppose airboats, they buy waterfront property often site unseen or view during the day while most airboaters are still working. Then after they get moved in, they hear a noise that is not as peaceful as they expected and want to pass laws opposing the airboats.

Most of these people have been here un der 5 years. A fracion of the time the airboats have been operating in these waters.

When our county looked at enacting a noise ordinance the sheriff stepped up and said the ordinance would be nearly uninforceable and they didn't do anything. I think the county airboats would have even had a difficult time passing the db requirements.