Teach your wife's and daugters to trailer.

Started by qt314nfla, February 01, 2006, 11:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qt314nfla

I have recenly noticed that there are several women on the site that aren't comfortable or don't know how to drive their family 'rigs.'  It's always comforting to know that you don't have to deal w/ driving your 'set up' to ride or come home.  However, this could pose a problem.

I've recently seen 3-4 accidents that should have never happened and all at low speeds.  We all call them freak accidents.  Non the less they do still happen.  We participate in a sport that involves risk.

I am asking all the people of this site that ride with their significant others that are of driving age to teach them to load, tie down, and drive the rig.  The last thing you want if you get hurt is to have to worry about how to get your toys home.  We all hope for the best but accidents do happen and we need to be ready to step in and be comfortable in those shoes.

There are many empty parking lots and vacant dirt road to teach in areas where no one has to be nervous or scared.  Get comfortable in a safe environment then take it on the road and practice.




Patricia Pearce

GREAT ADVISE!!!

I have seen that   happen at the park a couple of  times. More for the
reason that the significant other had to much to drink and the girls did not know how to even drive the ATV'S let alone load them or trailer them any where!
You are right.

Patti P
"ANOTHER EXTREME EVENT"

wilburz

I have my old lady trained up right. When I am ready to go riding or hunting for that matter I just tell her when I am leaving. The day before she has all my stuff packed up, coolers,clothes what not, in dry boxes stacked up nicely in the garage. When I give the signal the day of leaving she loads the atv, and all the other stuff in the truck. All I have to do is slip on the boots and give her a kiss good bye.

BTW - The reverse of this process is completed once I come home.

WARNING - This process will not happen over night, it has taken me almost 8 years to train her and she still makes mistakes on occasion!     
1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler

Chillinthemost

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

Mrs.Nightbreed

Definately a good thing to learn. In November of 04 Mike got hurt on a freestyle ramp out at Holopaw and could not drive. Luckily Scooter was with us and could drive home because I was clueless on loading the quads and pulling a trailer.

Since then I have not only learned to pull it but I can back the thing in the driveway too 8) It has come in handy more than once.

I agree that more than one person in the family should always know how to load up and drive the rig.

Ida_Mann

Quote from: wilburz on February 02, 2006, 07:07:46 AM
I have my old lady trained up right. When I am ready to go riding or hunting for that matter I just tell her when I am leaving. The day before she has all my stuff packed up, coolers,clothes what not, in dry boxes stacked up nicely in the garage. When I give the signal the day of leaving she loads the atv, and all the other stuff in the truck. All I have to do is slip on the boots and give her a kiss good bye.

BTW - The reverse of this process is completed once I come home.

WARNING - This process will not happen over night, it has taken me almost 8 years to train her and she still makes mistakes on occasion!     

All Hail King Wilburz  :bow.gif

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

lawn_man mx

your  absolutly right.  it happened  to me   at seminole  mx  it  was a freak  accident. my  wife had  to get  someone to backout the  truck for her  from where  we park,my son and daughter help  load the trailer the best  they could.she  learned  the hard way , how to drive a full size long bed superduty with a 12 foot trailer,  while  i was  been  transported in a ambulance to the hospital.       :o
05 yfz houser hiper  elka rpm alba   03 cr125   05 f350 fx4     braaauuuupppp !!!!  ftr +30B #58

Da_Mtg_Man

Quote from: Chillinthemost on February 02, 2006, 07:20:11 AM
Wilburz, you should open a school.

You aint kiddin. I will enroll mine in that school in a heart beat.  :ThumbsUp.gif

Although, I do have Peanut and he can drive anything, He just needs a couple phone books (thick phone books)
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

MuddFreak77

I agree 100%, this goes for anoone who is boating too.  Accidents happen!!!  Also if yout tow rig is a manual tranny, please take the time to teach the wife/girlfriend/ mistress  ;) ;)  j/k how to drive the truck before attaching a trailer. 

I still think that everyone should kow how to drive a manual tranny before they are able to get their licence.  If you can drive a manny tranny you can drive ANYTHING!!!!!


Freakk
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

2006YFZ450

'06 YFZ 450
'03 F150 SVT

[url="http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/2006YFZ450"]http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/2006YFZ450[/url]

Loven It

Really good advice QT - I have been learning for a while and fell pretty confident.

Here is a question I have that I was wondering if anyone can give advice on that is not my boyfriend! Any tips as far as loading the back of the truck using ramps vs pulling the trailer. They truely scare the heck out of me! I have visions of me going through the back windshield or falling off the ramp!
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

MuddFreak77

Quote from: Loven It on February 02, 2006, 08:40:09 AM
Really good advice QT - I have been learning for a while and fell pretty confident.

Here is a question I have that I was wondering if anyone can give advice on that is not my boyfriend! Any tips as far as loading the back of the truck using ramps vs pulling the trailer. They truely scare the heck out of me! I have visions of me going through the back windshield or falling off the ramp!


Lovin It,

     There are a few things, if you have the stick style ramps (one for each side) you can walk the quad up the ramps while using the throttle, or if you have the funds purchase a set of tri-fold ramps.  THe tri-folds usually are wider than the quad.

     The other thing you can do is practice, start off low like a cement block, working your way up to the height of the truck.  If your doing this alone, pull the quad up to the rams, get off and look at the placement of the ramps.  They should be straight, and slightly on the outside of center of the tire.  This is for when you get back on the suspension will squat and put the tires center on the ramps.

     Also if you have a set of ramps and they have the safty straps to hook around the tailgate or bumper PLEASE USE THEM!!!! 

Freakk
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

Chuck_Norris

Harley Honey (my wife) is good at manuvering ours, Working for UPS has definately allowed her to improve in that area

Loven It

Quote from: MuddFreak77 on February 02, 2006, 09:09:26 AM
Quote from: Loven It on February 02, 2006, 08:40:09 AM
Really good advice QT - I have been learning for a while and fell pretty confident.

Here is a question I have that I was wondering if anyone can give advice on that is not my boyfriend! Any tips as far as loading the back of the truck using ramps vs pulling the trailer. They truely scare the heck out of me! I have visions of me going through the back windshield or falling off the ramp!


Lovin It,

     There are a few things, if you have the stick style ramps (one for each side) you can walk the quad up the ramps while using the throttle, or if you have the funds purchase a set of tri-fold ramps.  THe tri-folds usually are wider than the quad.

     The other thing you can do is practice, start off low like a cement block, working your way up to the height of the truck.  If your doing this alone, pull the quad up to the rams, get off and look at the placement of the ramps.  They should be straight, and slightly on the outside of center of the tire.  This is for when you get back on the suspension will squat and put the tires center on the ramps.

     Also if you have a set of ramps and they have the safty straps to hook around the tailgate or bumper PLEASE USE THEM!!!! 

Freakk

I think I might go the route of getting the tri fold ramps. I like the idea of wider. We made our ramps, so they do not have safety straps, I will ask and see if we can attach some saftey straps.  Really good tips, I will be trying them out.

Sometimes people besides the ones closet to you can explain things differently as in the tire placement. Thank you!
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

Mrs.Nightbreed

The first time I loaded my quad with a ramp by my self I hit the back of the cab. The bed of my truck is still bowed right there  :-[ I was trying to get it over the wheel wells and when I got to the other side  PLOW. I have a small truck though (S-10) A full size you should be ok.

Now I ride up the ramps until the front wheels are on the bed right in front of the humps and get off and pull the rest of the way.

Also if you get ramps that are a little longer the slope isn't so steep and it is a little less scary.


NPRVinson

Quote from: wilburz on February 02, 2006, 07:07:46 AM
I have my old lady trained up right. When I am ready to go riding or hunting for that matter I just tell her when I am leaving. The day before she has all my stuff packed up, coolers,clothes what not, in dry boxes stacked up nicely in the garage. When I give the signal the day of leaving she loads the atv, and all the other stuff in the truck. All I have to do is slip on the boots and give her a kiss good bye.

BTW - The reverse of this process is completed once I come home.

WARNING - This process will not happen over night, it has taken me almost 8 years to train her and she still makes mistakes on occasion!     
Hey Wilburz, what would you charge for '' Wife Training'' it might take a little more than 8 yrs with mine. I've tried to get her to pull the 16' trailer around the neiborhood empty and she says that's what I'm for. She don't want nothing to do with it.

wilburz

Would not charge a fellow site member nothing. Prior to marriage, do you think she had it in her to do such a thing?  I spotted my would be wife at the local boat ramp backing up a 23 foot, dual axle, trailer with her pawpaw and new right then she was the one for me. Does she like to fillet fish?

She may not be trainable. You may have to use the bait and hook tactic. 
1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler

Loven It

Quote from: Mrs.Nightbreed on February 02, 2006, 09:43:22 AM
The first time I loaded my quad with a ramp by my self I hit the back of the cab. The bed of my truck is still bowed right there  :-[ I was trying to get it over the wheel wells and when I got to the other side  PLOW. I have a small truck though (S-10) A full size you should be ok.

Now I ride up the ramps until the front wheels are on the bed right in front of the humps and get off and pull the rest of the way.

Also if you get ramps that are a little longer the slope isn't so steep and it is a little less scary.


Yup, its a full size truck.
I am almost pretty sure I can do it, I just need to get over the fear of the ramps and do it when my other half isn't around making me nervous. Not that he even says anything. You just know they are watching your every move.  ???  If I hit the truck he would probably laugh and be ok, I just dont want to hit the window. Not that he would scream and yell if I did.

Good tip on getting it past the humps and pulling it the rest of the way. Thanks 
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

MuddFreak77

Lovin It,

     When you are practicing PLEASE make sure someone is around, just in case something happens.  Once you feel comfortible doing it then the second person is optional but always a good idea. 

     I was out riding last weekend and we had a rap set up for a little 90cc Bruin, the kid drove up the ramp and spun the tires (2wd) and the ramp exited stage back!!!  Its a god thing we were there to catch the rear of the quad.  Just something to remember keep the throttle consistant.

Freakk
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

Loven It

Quote from: MuddFreak77 on February 02, 2006, 11:44:40 AM
Lovin It,

     When you are practicing PLEASE make sure someone is around, just in case something happens.  Once you feel comfortible doing it then the second person is optional but always a good idea. 

     I was out riding last weekend and we had a rap set up for a little 90cc Bruin, the kid drove up the ramp and spun the tires (2wd) and the ramp exited stage back!!!  Its a god thing we were there to catch the rear of the quad.  Just something to remember keep the throttle consistant.

Freakk

I understand what you are saying.. I will be careful and have someone there like you said just in case.
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

o4250


kawGIRL

Quote from: wilburz on February 02, 2006, 07:07:46 AM
I have my old lady trained up right. When I am ready to go riding or hunting for that matter I just tell her when I am leaving. The day before she has all my stuff packed up, coolers,clothes what not, in dry boxes stacked up nicely in the garage. When I give the signal the day of leaving she loads the atv, and all the other stuff in the truck. All I have to do is slip on the boots and give her a kiss good bye.

BTW - The reverse of this process is completed once I come home.

WARNING - This process will not happen over night, it has taken me almost 8 years to train her and she still makes mistakes on occasion!     

Sounds like she can't wait to get you out of the house Huh?  :M :R



So she can call her boyfriend up to come over  :P
07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

MuddFreak77

Quote from: kawGIRL on February 02, 2006, 12:03:54 PM

Sounds like she can't wait to get you out of the house Huh?  :M :R



So she can call her boyfriend up to come over  :P

That was LOW but I like it!!   LOL

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

kawGIRL

Seriously now I have been driving trailers since before we were married (long time :o) started out with the boat, Jeff drops me off and I go get the truck/Trailer and back it down and Jeff drives the boat up and I pull out.  I get guys talking $hit when they see me comming down the ramp..."Watch this" "Oh this should be good"

We took off one weekend to go to Ocala riding and we were driving down the turnpike and Jeff got sick, it came on fast and keep getting worse.  So we stopped at a service plaza and turned around and I drove the rig home and unloaded. 

Jeff has to be basically unconscious to let me drive  >:(  When we go to North Carolina I ask 100 times..."Want me to drive now?"....NO! is always the answer  :(  But at least I can do it if need be  ;)  I did get to drive once on the way back for about an hour  ;D
07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

NPRVinson

Quote from: wilburz on February 02, 2006, 11:15:14 AM
Would not charge a fellow site member nothing. Prior to marriage, do you think she had it in her to do such a thing?  I spotted my would be wife at the local boat ramp backing up a 23 foot, dual axle, trailer with her pawpaw and new right then she was the one for me. Does she like to fillet fish?

She may not be trainable. You may have to use the bait and hook tactic. 
Prior to marriage she was a school girl, 22 years later I think I'm the one that's trained. I'm going to try again this weekend.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com