Help me choose next Quad

Started by NDAWIND, November 25, 2003, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NDAWIND

Hey guys,

Got the FatBoy sold, guys coming to get it Saturday.  Think ill get past Xmas and get my second quad sometime early next year.  This one will be a sport quad since I already have the grizz that i use around the property.  That way I can bring my girlfriend along with me to croom etc.

I have limited my choices to the Raptor and Yfz450.  Which would you get and why?  Im leaning toward the raptor since I have the same basic engine in the grizz.  But as you know im new to this and dont have alot of experience to go on.
Darrin

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4 LE
2004 Yamaha Bruin 350 2x4

JeffP

You should probably tell us what type of rider you are and what type of riding you like to do.  That allows everyone to make a better decision as to what model quad they feel will fit you best.
Jeff Peterson
Was the badest 2003 Suzuki Z400
Wa to many mods to list with only 300 Characters

NDAWIND

#2
I hate to sound stupid but I dont know what types there even are!  ???  I can say what I mostly do and that is ride in croom or ONF etc.  I just want to experience something different than the grizz so we can trade off back and fourth.  I want it to be fast but it doesnt have to be the fastest.  I dont have much desire to race or anything else as of now, but you never know.  

Sorry to be clueless, ill think it over and make a decision.  Got plenty of time.  Yall can just ignore this thread.  Thanks anyway!
Darrin

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4 LE
2004 Yamaha Bruin 350 2x4

JeffP

If you want to trail ride at good speeds and still be able to recreational ride the Z400/KFX is hard to beat.  The raptor does well also but the handling just isn't very good for tight trails.  

The YFZ would be a better choice if your a very agressive rider that likes to jump and go fast all the time.  You woln't be able to poke around on the YFZ nor does it have reverse.  But if your priority is get from point A to B quickly it's probably the best option right now.

Jeff Peterson
Was the badest 2003 Suzuki Z400
Wa to many mods to list with only 300 Characters

the return of QuadDork

if you decide on the raptor i wouldnt buy a brand new one... unless you need that show room shine... because you can get a pretty nice raptor with lots of extras for around $4,000 right now since everyone is selling them to buy the yfz450...

you should get one that already has aftermarket shocks... that helps ease the 660's poor handling alot and will make it a much better trail quad for ya.
"the difference between genius and stupidity is... that genius has its limits"

biohazard

Go with the YFZ, I was facing the same (sort of) dilemma.  I had a Z400 and a 250r...but wanted something different and faster.

Those that say you cannot putt around on the yfz have no experience with them.   They have plenty of low end (when you pipe it/jet it) and are a blast on fast trails like ONF.  They are really fast on tight trails and improvised courses (Croom) and are without a doubt, the funnest quad I have ever owned.

If reverse is important to ya, get an 02-03 Raptor, soften the suspension up front so it turns better, and reduce the preload on the rear if you can to lower it some.  Usually, a used raptor will already have a pipe and be jetted more or less correctly.

But, if you want a night and day diff from the Grizz, get the yfz and roost everyone.

take care!
YFZ450, Red/White
Blaster, Black

NDAWIND

Thanks for the opinions guys, I consider them carefully.  Looks like im leaning toward the YFZ but as I said purchase is about 3 months away.
Darrin

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4 LE
2004 Yamaha Bruin 350 2x4

arod

 ANOTHER COUPLE OF PENNIES TO THE BASKET. RAPTOR WEIGHS IN AT ABOUT 415lbs. YFZ,350lbs. I BOUGHT MY 450 IN SEPT AND HAVENT LOOKED BACK. REVERSE? FOR WHAT! ONLY NEED REVERSE IF YOU ARE RIDING UNKNOWN LAND. JUST WISH SEAT HAD A LITTLE MORE CUSHION. SPOKE TO THE LOCAL YAMAHA DEALER AND HE TOLD ME THEY HAD SOLD ALL 38 450'S THEY HAD IN STOCK.(BUDDY WANTS ONE)SAID NEXT SHIPMENT WOULD BE IN MARCH!!! GOOD LUCK ON WHATEVER CHOICE YOU MAKE. SHOPPING FOR A QUAD IS SO MUCH FUN!

erbilabuc

For the love of god, stay away from the Raptor, you wont be buying a quad you will be buying a problem. Get a z400, 400ex, or one of the new 450's.
Thug Nasty
1 good thing about being bull-legged is you never need a belt.

MX411

i would say the yfz because i have one and i no for a fact that it will eat the raptor up in speed and handling any day personaly the raptor is like a 50 to a yfz..

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com