Big bike, little bed

Started by AlterEgo, January 10, 2006, 12:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlterEgo

going to try to shove my Bomb Max into my Chevy Avalanche's bed - measurements say it'll go but the rear will sit on the down tailgate. Anyone know of weight issues of having the rear ride on a gate?

Also, any recs on ramps that work well?
Bombardier Outlander Max XT 800
Polaris Predator 50

kawGIRL

#1
Hey AlterEgo,
Make sure your tail gate straps have been changed!  There was a recall on them (all chevys).  I have a buddy that did this very thing and his raptor landed on HIM!  After he loaded his bike in his Avalanche ....one of the straps let go :o
07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

yunt2ride

After you load them you could attach a LA Guard dog to keep the weight off the tailgate also.

http://www.atvramps.com/guard_dog.htm
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

AlterEgo

Thanks KAWgirl, I got the notice and had it done a while back. That would suck.

And the LA Guard dog looks interesting. Have you used it yunt2ride?
Bombardier Outlander Max XT 800
Polaris Predator 50

yunt2ride

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

Pastense

I would tend to agree.  When I first saw this device it made a lot of sense to me from a design stand piont.  The only issue I would see, that could become problematic, is the stress placed on the corner bracket during forward motion in which the momenteum of the bike actually moves slower than the truck therby placing extra stress on the corner bracket.  However, if it is reinforced that should not be cause for alarm.
"Hard Core" is after a wicked wreck the first thing you ask is "How's my quad?"

yunt2ride

#6
If your quad has brakes and you set the brake, the quad would not move at all.


Here is a video link.

http://laguarddog.com/video.htm
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

AlterEgo

That is sweet! I'm getting it.

Now, if my bomb will just fit . . .  ::)
Bombardier Outlander Max XT 800
Polaris Predator 50

yunt2ride

Just remember when you measure the inside of the Avalanche to measure it at the top where the rain troughs are. That is the closest point on the width of it. If you measure the bottom it may show that it fits but it may not at the top.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

AlterEgo

I assume you're talking about the plastic pieces that angle down from the roof to the bed sides, and how they may hit the handle bars?

Bombardier Outlander Max XT 800
Polaris Predator 50

yunt2ride

Right under your bed cover measure if across right there where the water drains in at.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

yunt2ride

I measured one for you. Its 43-1/4 inches wide where I'm talkin about. It does measure wider on the floor.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

AlterEgo

Hey, thanks buddy, I appreciate it.

I'll have to do some measuring on the bike this evening to make sure it'll go.
Bombardier Outlander Max XT 800
Polaris Predator 50

themensh

  Hey alterego...
I have used the 'guard dog' since I bought my Grizzly last year.
    I was scared that the plastic tie downs in my Ford F-150 would not hold....so I got the guard dog.
   Very easy to use AND you can also tow a trailer in addition to having the guard dog.
  When I carry my quad....I use the guard dog and set the parking brake......
quad never moves. OH...and my Grizzly sits on the tail gate also.
  I think I could take the tail gate off and have the ATV sit forward in the bed more...but have not needed to.

    Chuck 'roast

raptor426

Quote from: kawGIRL on January 10, 2006, 12:31:56 PM
Hey AlterEgo,
Make sure your tail gate straps have been changed!  There was a recall on them (all chevys).  I have a buddy that did this very thing and his raptor landed on HIM!  After he loaded his bike in his Avalanche ....one of the straps let go :o
ya, when chevy made the tailgait straps, they made them out of steel, which will start to rust, and become week, but all you have to do is bring it in to a chevy dealership and they will change them for you for free.  My dad had this done on his Silverado.  Other than that, just make sure that the quad is strapped down really good and you will be fine. :ThumbsUp.gif :ThumbsUp.gif :ThumbsUp.gif
2005 Yamaha Raptor 660r #26:AC grab bar, Alba Pro Elite nerfs, Uni filter, UM full body skid, AC swingarm skid, White Bros R4 slipon
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660:27" Mudlites, 12" C-series rims, 2500# winch
2003 Yamaha YZ426F:stock
2002 Honda Rancher:27"Mudlites
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com