Got GPS?

Started by FlyingDog, December 28, 2005, 08:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyingDog

Do you use GPS to find your way around on the trails?

Which brand / model do you use?

Rob
Rob Kulp

Stock
'06 TRX450ER
'06 TRX250EX
'06 TRX90EX

Da_Mtg_Man

FLORIDA MUD RIDER

FlyingDog

Thanks....sorry for the lazyness :K
Rob Kulp

Stock
'06 TRX450ER
'06 TRX250EX
'06 TRX90EX

Pastense

You're not being lazy Rob.  Its a valid question and it does belong under this forum.   Its just that, as you may have guessed, this question has been asked before.  So you get the Global "Mods" (who know this site in an almost disturbing way  :D ) sending you links to previous posts about the subject. 

In so far as your question about GPS units is concerned, I would have to say that 50% or more on this board would say that Garmin is thier particular flavor of choice when it comes to GPS brands.  Now the particular models can get a little questionable however, here are my thoughts. 

riding outdoors
possibly caught in the rain
may drop the unit
may drop the unit in mud
may drop the unit in water
may run over the unit

If you put this together it can lead one to understand how ATV'rs can treat thier GPS units as harshly as boaters do.  From this, we can extrapolate that a marine grade handheld GPS unit is a solid choice. Oddly enough, thats what I have........go figure ;)   

I use the Garmin GPSMap 76S portable handheld.   Its perfect for riding.  I also bought the RAM mount that fit my handlebars.   I don't leave home without it.

BTW, they do make a color version of the 76S but the screens a little smaller. 

Good Luck.




"Hard Core" is after a wicked wreck the first thing you ask is "How's my quad?"

Bigscrb15

Magellan Explorist series all the way!!!!!! The best unit out right now!!!
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

GSPKurt

Garmin rocks .The 76 CS (color) has more memory, but a smaller screen. I have 2, an eTrex Vista for hunting and 4-wheeling, and a 176 C for the boat. The software can get expensive. Get the Topo software, and update it and the OS for the unit frequently.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

FlyingDog

Quote from: GSPKurt on December 29, 2005, 08:43:50 PM
Garmin rocks .The 76 CS (color) has more memory, but a smaller screen. I have 2, an eTrex Vista for hunting and 4-wheeling, and a 176 C for the boat. The software can get expensive. Get the Topo software, and update it and the OS for the unit frequently.

I bought the 76cs with the National Parks add on maps from Amazon today.

Seemed like a good deal. It was only $10 more than the 60cs which only had 56 mb memory vs. 115 mb the 76cs has.

Thank you to everyone for their input.

Rob Kulp

Stock
'06 TRX450ER
'06 TRX250EX
'06 TRX90EX

Moose

#7
You won't be disappointed, I have the new 76c map, didn't know the screen was smaller than the first 76 out. I love the thing, the screen is new, can be seen in the sun light better than any other unit, so they say. Garmin has been great on the phone with help the two times I needed it with software updates. I can't say anything bad about Garmin. I've been using gps since it became available to the public after Desert Storm. Still have my first unit, Magellon, $800, got mine on sale for $750, so $400 is not bad for qualiy. BTW it was the only hand held that would float back then.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

Pastense

Good choice....................

You'll learn quickly what an indespensable tool it is.

BTW, don't forget to buy something to mount it to your machine.
"Hard Core" is after a wicked wreck the first thing you ask is "How's my quad?"

klutchbuster400

Quote from: Pastense on December 30, 2005, 12:24:37 PM
Good choice....................

You'll learn quickly what an indespensable tool it is.

BTW, don't forget to buy something to mount it to your machine.

duct tape. ;)

Moose

Quote from: Pastense on December 30, 2005, 12:24:37 PM
Good choice....................

You'll learn quickly what an indespensable tool it is.

BTW, don't forget to buy something to mount it to your machine.


I used the factory mount for my quad untill I installed my winch, they always get in the way ;D. I had to put the winch rocker there, so I got the Ram on eBay for $20 to my door. So look around, even at $40 the ram is worth it.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

rubicon500kid

i have a gps but the sad thing is i dont know how to use it  :'(
DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a

themensh

  I ust traded in my Garmin 2610 for a Garmin 2720.  Both a nice units.....more towards driving cross country than for ATVing...but then again...both of them have roads marked and even some of the trails in Ocala National Forest are listed in them.
  Only bad thing about the Garmin2610 and my new 2720, is that they can not be readily used as 'hiking GPS'.   If your quad breaks down and you have to WALK out....the GPS has no battery back up except the 12 volt one on your quad (Not to bad if you are "McGuiver").
(which ATV will be the first to have 'on-star'? I figure it will be a Honda unless BMW gets into ATVs.....LOL)





     Chuck

Pastense

Quote from: chuck (roast) on December 30, 2005, 04:15:58 PM
(which ATV will be the first to have 'on-star'? I figure it will be a Honda unless BMW gets into ATVs.....LOL)


The following is an actual recorded message form the first ATV rider using On-Star


Operator: "On-Star Emergencies, I just recieved notification that you've just snapped you rear axle...........is everything allright?"

Pastense: " Yeah, hello......... ah yeah I thought I was thirteen again an tried to pull off a forty foot jump on my quad"

Operator:  " Ok"

Pastense: " Yeah, could you please send out an ambulance to ONF

Operator: "Certainly sir, would you like me to stay on the line until help arrives?"

Pastense: "Yes, please..........also could you be sure that they know to bring a shovel to scoop my stupid a$$ up with" 

Operator: "Thats not a problem, sir" 

Pastense: " Also, could you send a search party out here as well.  I can't seem to find one of my testicles"

Operator: "We're right on top of that"

Pastense: "Oh, thank you...........now if you don't mind I'm going to pass out"

Operator: "Okay sir"

Operator: "Thank you for choosing On-Star..............sir?, sir?"


On-Star...........we're always here when you need us
:)
"Hard Core" is after a wicked wreck the first thing you ask is "How's my quad?"

GSPKurt

Quote from: Pastense on December 30, 2005, 06:12:08 PM
Quote from: chuck (roast) on December 30, 2005, 04:15:58 PM
(which ATV will be the first to have 'on-star'? I figure it will be a Honda unless BMW gets into ATVs.....LOL)


The following is an actual recorded message form the first ATV rider using On-Star


Operator: "On-Star Emergencies, I just recieved notification that you've just snapped you rear axle...........is everything allright?"

Pastense: " Yeah, hello......... ah yeah I thought I was thirteen again an tried to pull off a forty foot jump on my quad"

Operator:  " Ok"

Pastense: " Yeah, could you please send out an ambulance to ONF

Operator: "Certainly sir, would you like me to stay on the line until help arrives?"

Pastense: "Yes, please..........also could you be sure that they know to bring a shovel to scoop my stupid a$$ up with" 

Operator: "Thats not a problem, sir" 

Pastense: " Also, could you send a search party out here as well.  I can't seem to find one of my testicles"

Operator: "We're right on top of that"

Pastense: "Oh, thank you...........now if you don't mind I'm going to pass out"

Operator: "Okay sir"

Operator: "Thank you for choosing On-Star..............sir?, sir?"


On-Star...........we're always here when you need us
:)

ROFLMAO!!!
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

eric


Pastense

I don't know about this comparison chart.  I don't see any of the 76 series handheld Garmin units. It only mentions the Garmin 12 series handheld.  The 76 is superior in every aspect.  Granted though the price variance is as equally vastly different as thier capability.
"Hard Core" is after a wicked wreck the first thing you ask is "How's my quad?"

kfx400rob

Quote from: klutchbuster400 on December 30, 2005, 12:29:59 PM
Quote from: Pastense on December 30, 2005, 12:24:37 PM
Good choice....................

You'll learn quickly what an indespensable tool it is.

BTW, don't forget to buy something to mount it to your machine.

duct tape. ;)

smart thinkin




my dad has a garmin gecko, it works very well and it was only  $100
06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.

Thrasher

I have a Garmin E-Map, nice large screen, and have it on a handlebar mount on my quad, and uses the cigarette lighter from the headlight pod for power......works great..
2 x 2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twins, w/Warn 3000/2500 winches, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage,  Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, 27" Outlaws, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D



Out to pis

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com