Ocala or Croom?

Started by nobodyshome, December 25, 2005, 11:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nobodyshome

My dad and I want to go to either ONF or Croom over the holiday break but cannot decide which one to go to. I already know that ONF is supposed to be better than Croom, but the lack of a place to stay there (we aren't set up to camp) is making us think twice about going. Where should we go?
SEVEN SEVEN TWO SON

UncleRico

What kind of atv's are you riding?


Things to consider....

1) Ocala is free, Croom is $50.00 per bike for a year long pass.
2) Ocala is way bigger and you can really get back into the forest if you're into the scenic thing (bring a GPS so you don't get lost)
3) Croom is a little bit more technical, a few more hills, jumps, and mud holes. (But still no track)


I'm riding Croom on Monday. I park up front near the  sandpit.
I'm in the gold SUV on the black 450r..stop by and say Hi if you decide on Croom
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

Old_School

I prefer Ocala. Simple for the fact that there isn't half as much whoops as Croom and you can actually open the bike up unlike Croom. Granted it's an hour longer drive for me but it's worth it. But like said above, bring a GPS. This place is huge!  -Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

FloridaATVs-com

I live 10 minutes from Croom, but I would rather drive to ONF than go to Croom. If you like whoops (and I mean you better like them), go to Croom. If you want to open up your bike and never have to ride the same trail twice, go to ONF. I just got back from Big Scrub today and it was a blast. Plus, Croom is too crowded this time of year.
[url="//www.floridaatvs.com"]www.floridaatvs.com[/url]
www.TRXForums.com

bftclub

is onf really crowded with hunters?

FlyingDog

Quote from: bftclub on January 01, 2006, 12:58:58 AM
is onf really crowded with hunters?

Yes, there are a lot of hunters. But they know there are going to be a lot of people riding near Big Scrub and there aren't that many around there.

I just wouldn't go too early or too late in the day. Stay towards the middle of the day.

Rob Kulp

Stock
'06 TRX450ER
'06 TRX250EX
'06 TRX90EX

eric

As far as a place to stay I have heard alot of good things about is the "Ocala Forest Campground" suppossidly they have trailers and A frame apartments with all the ammenities. The place is located off hwy 42 which is just south of Big Scrub. Here is the contact info:
Ocala Forest Campground
(352) 669-3888
26301 SE Highway 42
Umatilla, FL 32784

ridered

Yes the Ocala forest campground is great. I stay there at least once every other month you can ride right from the camp ground. If you do not have an r.v. or a camper they have a couple you can rent or they even have a pretty cool cabin on site.

raptor426

Quote from: eric on January 02, 2006, 03:32:46 AM
As far as a place to stay I have heard alot of good things about is the "Ocala Forest Campground" suppossidly they have trailers and A frame apartments with all the ammenities. The place is located off hwy 42 which is just south of Big Scrub. Here is the contact info:
Ocala Forest Campground
(352) 669-3888
26301 SE Highway 42
Umatilla, FL 32784
The place you are talking about is Big Bass Lake, and it is for camping only.  I dont know if the trails are any good around there, but you are not allowed to ride your bike in or out of the camp site.
2005 Yamaha Raptor 660r #26:AC grab bar, Alba Pro Elite nerfs, Uni filter, UM full body skid, AC swingarm skid, White Bros R4 slipon
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660:27" Mudlites, 12" C-series rims, 2500# winch
2003 Yamaha YZ426F:stock
2002 Honda Rancher:27"Mudlites
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

BayouMomma

Definitely try Big Scrub (ONF).  We are a family of ATV'ers.  It has all different levels for ages 2 to 100!  Our 15 year old loves the trails & pits.  We go camping as well as just day trips and by far, this area has provided the most hours of fun for us.  DO NOT ride the non-posted areas, swail or forest roads - you WILL be ticketed if caught (and they are out there every weekend).

We camped during hunting season (they have until the 15th to clear out)- hunters are not a big deal - just watch out for fast moving trucks through what you thought was an ATV trail.

If you like nature - its got it - even a black bear!  We hit the trail across from BS in the a.m. and must have caught him on his morning stroll...we weren't sure who was more spooked - us or the bear.  Momma has a hard time shifting - but I can tell you - seeing a bear 10 feet in front of you larger than the Praire 360 - Momma had NO issue getting in reverse!

Take care and have fun!

UKWildcat

This weekend was my first time to Ocala and whoever said to bring a GPS was not kidding.  I spent about an hour trying to find my way back to camp.  The trails were a blast though.

By the way, does anyone know where you can rent ATV's in that area?  I've got a couple of friends who want to check it out.
'05 Suzuki Vinson, 500, 4X4 Manual

Ida_Mann

there's no place to rent close by Ocala, but in Orlando is a place called Eagle Riders and they have a couple of Polaris Trailblazers for rent,,,,the price is high(around $100 per day) but if you really want one, you got it.

they also give you all the safety gear with it which is a bonus, and don't bother washing it, they do that.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

UKWildcat

Thanks for the info on the rental, do you know if they rent trailers as well?  Also, I read something about rentals @ Mill Dam and wasn't sure if they rent ATV's or not.
'05 Suzuki Vinson, 500, 4X4 Manual

susieblazer

Quote from: raptor426 on January 11, 2006, 02:00:50 AM
Quote from: eric on January 02, 2006, 03:32:46 AM
As far as a place to stay I have heard alot of good things about is the "Ocala Forest Campground" suppossidly they have trailers and A frame apartments with all the ammenities. The place is located off hwy 42 which is just south of Big Scrub. Here is the contact info:
Ocala Forest Campground
(352) 669-3888
26301 SE Highway 42
Umatilla, FL 32784
The place you are talking about is Big Bass Lake, and it is for camping only.  I dont know if the trails are any good around there, but you are not allowed to ride your bike in or out of the camp site.

   NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Ocala Forest Campground is NOT Big Bass Lake!!!!!
2000 Polaris 325 Trail Boss  Red/White/Blue
2005 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer  50 Year Edition Orange
2005 Suzuki LTZ400   White/Blue
Railbuggy Type 4 (4 seater)  Light Burgandy

Ida_Mann

Quote from: UKWildcat on January 16, 2006, 11:57:58 PM
Thanks for the info on the rental, do you know if they rent trailers as well?  Also, I read something about rentals @ Mill Dam and wasn't sure if they rent ATV's or not.

dunno, maybe, give em a call.

or visit their website.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

eric

Quote from: UKWildcat on January 16, 2006, 11:57:58 PM
Thanks for the info on the rental, do you know if they rent trailers as well?  Also, I read something about rentals @ Mill Dam and wasn't sure if they rent ATV's or not.

Yes, Eaglerider has trailers for like $20 a day. http://eaglerider.carrentalexpress.com/r1.php?

NPRVinson

Quote from: UKWildcat on January 16, 2006, 11:57:58 PM
Thanks for the info on the rental, do you know if they rent trailers as well?  Also, I read something about rentals @ Mill Dam and wasn't sure if they rent ATV's or not.

The rentals at Mill Dam Lake are cottages

blackhammockmudder

how far is it to ocala from jacksonville

Chillinthemost

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

KD 428

ocala theres less whoops and sand ;)
HONDA CRF450R

DZ 350

do u mean less woops, more sand.
-05 raptor Alot of Stuff done to it ( FOR SALE !!!!! )

-98' CHEVY 4X4 SILVERADO W/ TO MUCH TO LIST !

-2007 RINCON 680 4X4 W/ WARN BUMPER, HMF PIPE, AND 26" OUTLAWS

-1987 Jeep Wrangler On 44" tractor Tires ( For Sale )

-2001 F-150 on 9" lift 36" TSL's (For Sale)

Unknownracer

Quote from: Old_School on December 27, 2005, 07:17:19 PM
I prefer Ocala. Simple for the fact that there isn't half as much whoops as Croom and you can actually open the bike up unlike Croom.

What do you guys mean by "whoops"??

americanhighlander

Quote from: blackhammockmudder on February 03, 2006, 12:00:37 AM
how far is it to ocala from jacksonville


I think it's about 120miles to from jax to ocala.
I know lake city is about 60miles from jax,
plus another 70 to 80 miles from lake city to ocala.

I'm about 80miles north of ocala.
[url="http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/10000000bb75877/1/320/C3zfUOyy7z9lkQxLVEpqAid4fox1Ohlr.jpg(I"]http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/10000000bb75877/1/320/C3zfUOyy7z9lkQxLVEpqAid4fox1Ohlr.jpg(I[/url] always say:Ride Harder Let Your freedom Go!!)
I'm a goat farmer live on 8acrefarmlivingwith my [url="parents.http://www.youtube.com/foxman362"]parents.http://www.youtube.com/foxman362[/url]

KD 428

HONDA CRF450R