Question about PC ram chips

Started by Moose, December 19, 2005, 07:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moose

I installed a 1gb ram chip, but it shows up as 512 mb only.
I was thinking the ram is to fast for my PC. If so, would it work in a newer PC as a 1gb?

Any ideas?
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

Bigscrb15

Your motherboard most likely doesn't support that much ram. It will show up as 1GB on a supported motherboard. how old is the pc?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Ida_Mann

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Moose

You're most likely right, the largest I could find in the slower chip was 512mb.
The pc is about 3-4 years old. came with only 256mb.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

Moose

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

svtbolt04

Sometimes you have to push to really get them to register. I put in dual 512's and at first only one was registering, gave it a nice push till it clicked and it showed up on the next boot.
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

Moose

Quote from: svtbolt04 on December 19, 2005, 07:43:19 PM
Sometimes you have to push to really get them to register. I put in dual 512's and at first only one was registering, gave it a nice push till it clicked and it showed up on the next boot.

Yea thanks. When I installed it, I pushed it all the way down and removed it twice to be sure it went all the way, it is.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

Moose

Hey, it will go in my next pc, no problem.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

Bigscrb15

If your gonna buy a new PC get Dell, I have had 3 Dell desktops and now a laptop. They 1 reason I like them is their service, I very rarely have to call but when I do they send a tech out the next day to my office or house and fix the problem. If it is something you can fix(like replace mouse, keyboard, or monitor) they will overnight the part to you. This service is only good for the duration of your warranty, up to 4years depending on what you choose. I love Dells and recommend them to anyone! Also check out dealtaker.com and on the right click store coupons and keep an eye on the dell home and dell small business sections. I built my laptop on dells site and it was $1700 I then found a coupon for $750 off $1450 or over. so I paid like $970 shipped.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Ida_Mann

seconded on the Dell's, I used to not like them when they started but they have really risen to the top as far as customer service goes.

solid hardware and excellent service makes for a #1 recommendation for me with HP being a close second(only due to service on the end-user side).

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

GSPKurt

I have 2 Dells. Just ONCE I'd like to talk to an American when I call Cust. Service.

Sorry for the thread 'jack. Just wanted to vent.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

needforspeed

1 gb is probably not supported on the motherboard. If you need help with your Dell, support is good for as long as you own the PC. There support will walk you through just about anything, even installing a hard drive. Hewlett Packard you have to pay for support after 1 year.

Bigscrb15

Quote from: GSPKurt on December 20, 2005, 03:09:59 PM
I have 2 Dells. Just ONCE I'd like to talk to an American when I call Cust. Service.

Sorry for the thread 'jack. Just wanted to vent.

I used to have a direct number to a support center in Texas. All the ladies had that beautiful southern accent and the guys all sounded like rednecks, it was great. I lost the number when I formatted my harddrive. If I ever find it again ill let you know.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

needforspeed

Support for the Dell's are actually located in Japan, it would be tough to get an American on the other end, but occassionally you do. When you make a support call your are actually calling Japan.

Bigscrb15

#14
Quote from: needforspeed on December 21, 2005, 06:45:19 AM
Support for the Dell's are actually located in Japan, it would be tough to get an American on the other end, but occassionally you do. When you make a support call your are actually calling Japan.

I highly doubt the support calls goto Japan. I can almost guarantee that at least 75% of dell tech support calls goto India. The rest goto Texas, Idaho, Tennessee.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com