What is the Best ATV for the MUD?

Started by soldado37, November 08, 2005, 09:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the Best ATV for the MUD? if not in the list please suggest

Honda Rincon
2 (3.3%)
Honda Foreman 4x4
9 (15%)
Suzuki King Quad 700
9 (15%)
Suzuki Vinson 500 4x4
4 (6.7%)
Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4
0 (0%)
Yamaha Grizly 660 4x4
11 (18.3%)
Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4
1 (1.7%)
Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4
1 (1.7%)
Kawasaki Brute Force 650 4x4
4 (6.7%)
Kawasaki Praire 700 4x4
8 (13.3%)
Kawasaki Praire 360 4x4
1 (1.7%)
Polaris 800
7 (11.7%)
Artic Cat H1 650
0 (0%)
Artic Cat V2 650
0 (0%)
Artic Cat 500
3 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

ridinjammer4ever89

polaris 800                because its so lite my dads got one  its the best its better than are grizz and ranchers
1997 Chevy Tahoe 4dr. 4x4
1997 Chevy Suburban 4x4
1988 K-5 Blazer...

NPRVinson

Quote from: ridinjammer4ever89 on November 09, 2005, 08:34:13 AM
polaris 800                because its so lite my dads got one  its the best its better than are grizz and ranchers
Who told you they are ''lite'', 770lbs. dry is not lite. Thats about 170lbs. heavier than most in it's class.

Kawa3

OK glad to see that the CAT's have made it but which 650? H1 or V2? wait they are all great ;D But the H1 and 500 are the best mudders out of the Cat line up.IMO

2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700

soldado37

2002 Raptor 660R Blue

soldado37

2002 Raptor 660R Blue

Kawa3

I voted 500 b/c of the manual tranny over the H1, but think the 500 won the mud nationals.
2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700

Gamer

Toughest bike I've ever seen in the mud was a Polaris 500 so I can only imagine what the 800 would do.  In the thickest most stickiest caked on mud the tires will not stop spinning.  My buddy pulled out a jeep with that thing.  Pretty impressive.

klutchbuster400


LakeMaryKid

2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft

GregsRancher

2003 Honda Rancher S 4x4

Joedirt

I have to say the bike is not what is gonna get you through the mudd any faster...the driver plays a huge role. Example: this past weekend we had a Brute force riding with us , he rolled on stock tires through the Okechobee Prairie and for those that know it is pretty soupy out there , I did better on my 400 with gators and even a Recon out played the Brute. So pick the bike you like and power you want to handle, then pick your tires... in my limited experience all bikes seem great , I went with 2 Suzuki's cause for the money they were right on Target..( for me).
2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
1987 Dirty Dakota Mud truck on 35 inch Boggers

Kawa3

I would go with fully independent suspension(FIS), and stay away from Single rear axles(SRA) if you plan on doing a lot of mudding( Higher Ground clearence with FIS) most AC's come with 12inches of GC compared to most stock quads about 9-10
2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700

NPRVinson

IRS is nice but it seems to me that the difference is the smoother ride. My buddie rides a Grizz (IRS) and I ride a Vinson (straight) and I don't see a where it makes alot of difference in the mud and the straight axle doesn't roll like the IRS when cornering. I must admit though when my wife lets me ride her K.Q. that it's something I could get used to. ;)

Kawa3

Well with IRS you will get more ground clearance with lifts and stuff. With an SRA the onyl way you can get GC is if you get bigger tires. Doesn't the grizz have a swaybar sticking down?
2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700

ridinjammer4ever89

1997 Chevy Tahoe 4dr. 4x4
1997 Chevy Suburban 4x4
1988 K-5 Blazer...

Pastense

Sometimes I sit take a break and watch other riders tooling around there quads at the Hump down in Homestead.   It is extremely muddy at times and there are areas where the water is high enough to float my 400ex.  I will tell you that the vast majority of ATVs with the least trouble I see all have a strange reddish tint in common.

"Hard Core" is after a wicked wreck the first thing you ask is "How's my quad?"

themensh

Anyone run an atv with the tires I have seen advertised as "agricultural use"?
     They are advertised as ATV tires for use in 'rice paddies'.......(not to be ridden over 15 MPH or some such thing).  The look like tires off a John Deere tractor.
  I guess if they are made for rice paddies......they should be OK in Florida?  LOL
  And about IRS giving more ground clearance.  I understand the ground clearance issue, but is 2 more inches really that big of a deal in a mud hole?
   Ground clearance to me is for climbing over stuff, rocks and logs etc.
  I guess if you have a rock or log in the mud hole...then you have compounded the trouble! LOL
  I guess it is better to have two more inches...... :-*(wink-wink)


        Chuck

TOY_DOCTOR

Well everybody has alot of good choices, BUT!! The best ATV you can get to use in the mudd would be SOMEONE ELSE'S, that way when you are done you don't have to clean it, JUST go home.....LOL!!!!
TOY DOCTOR - MOBILE RV REPAIR, ONAN GENERATORS, ATVs, & MOTORCYCLEs ............I BUY UNWANTED ATV's

ish

personally i have a rancher on itp 589's and i have had to pull out foremans and polaris's. i love the honda line but anything over a 500 and it is so heavy and wide that you will get stuck more often.

[url="//www.atvmiaxtreme.com"]www.ATVMiaXtreme.com[/url]
[url="http://img230.echo.cx/img230/4730/xtreme6bj.jpg"]http://img230.echo.cx/img230/4730/xtreme6bj.jpg[/url]

Da_Mtg_Man

Quote from: TOY_DOCTOR on December 01, 2005, 08:43:52 AM
Well everybody has alot of good choices, BUT!! The best ATV you can get to use in the mudd would be SOMEONE ELSE'S, that way when you are done you don't have to clean it, JUST go home.....LOL!!!!

Aint that the truth.......lol......
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

BADAZZ750

BF 750 BECAUSE ITS WHAT I GOT. ;D AND BECAUSE ITS NICE TO HAVE THE POWER TO SLING MUD OFF ANY SIZE TIRE YOU WANT. SURE DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT POWER! DIFF LOCK TOO! GIT R DONE!!!!!!!!!!
05 BRUTE FORCE 750 WITH 27`S (MINE)        05 POLARIS PREDATOR 50 (DAUGHTERS)

2006YFZ450

'06 Honda Rincon can you say EFI :wink.gif
'06 YFZ 450
'03 F150 SVT

[url="http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/2006YFZ450"]http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/2006YFZ450[/url]

Bigscrb15

Quote from: Raptor700R on December 02, 2005, 07:23:54 PM
'06 Honda Rincon can you say EFI :wink.gif

I have never heard anyone(even people that own rincon's) that they are good for mud. Have you ever driven a rincon in the mud or have any other knowledge on them?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Da_Mtg_Man

Quote from: Raptor700R on December 02, 2005, 07:23:54 PM
'06 Honda Rincon can you say EFI :wink.gif

The Rincon is all the way at the bottom of the list because it only has a 3 speed tranny so it has NO bottom end.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

southernmudd

out of about 30 people that go riding with us 20 of them have ranchers, they flip them in water, push them out, drain the air box and start rite up every time
2003 Honda Rincon 4x4 gators on ITP rims
2005 Honda Rancher, gators,Dewalt radio,
         camo spotlight, quadboss back rack
2005 Honda Rancher, mud bugs,quad boss
         back rack

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com