Ocala National forest and trash.

Started by themensh, November 28, 2005, 01:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

themensh

I just read a post about people dumping trash in Ocala national Forest.
   How hard (or easy) would it be to get a group of riders together, say......
and have a sign posted on Route 40 from road NF 88   (gun range/big scrub area) to the eastern end of Ocala saying "Highway adopted by "ATVFLORIDA.com".
  I think it is about an 8 mile stretch to the eastern border.  Once a month, a few of us gather.......wearing same color t-shirts (red?) and an orange vest.  Put a couple milk carton crates on our rides to hold cans/cups/crap.........ride 8 miles one way/8 miles back.  Do a good deed and then meet in Astor for lunch?
  We get the sites name visible.....clean up a bit of highway AND RIDE OUR QUADS?
i rode with GSP Kurt this weekend....and saw a V-8 engine dumped on a trail.......(thanks for letting me tag along).

  any thoughts?   Just an idea.....
   


                  Chuck 

FOREMANRON

THAT WOULD BE GODD IDEAL IF THEY WILL LET US RIDE NOW THE SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY.
2007 POLARIS RANGER 700 MOSSY OAK WITH A WARN 4.0 WINCH,2006
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 700

doc700polaris

chuch,
my thought exactly, why don't we put something together
doc

Chillinthemost

Sounds like a plan to me. There are lots of good people on this site that I'm sure will join in. A off road jeep club had a clean up a few weeks ago, unfortunatly I couldnt make it.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

themensh

not being able to speak 'legally"....but since I see allot of ATV tracks down the side of Route 40...I don't think there would be a problem of US picking up trash along the side on the road while riding quads.
  But I am not talking about a one-time thing.  I want a sign with OUR name......ADOPTING the highway...where we once a month (at least) ride
and do it.  Heck, 4 people riding two on each side 8 miles?
  I would spring for the orange vests.  How do we get the sign?
   Just an idea to get US out there...be seen as 'good-guys'  (and gals).
  Even 8 people riding 4 miles (8 miles devided by 2, by 8 people.... you do the math).....would be a cinch .
    Put milk crates/containers for the trash on the back of the seats/cargo carriers.   Fill up trash bags as the crates get full. Drop off the bags and pick them up in a pick up truck at the end of the day.
    Meet at the "Blackwater Inn" in Astor afterward for B.S. session.
   These are just my ideas....what are others?

       Chuck'roast
   

Ida_Mann

I'm absolutely for that, but we would have to ask the allmighty forest rangers for legal permission to ride on the side of the highway.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

themensh

OK...found this link to an 'adopt a highway' form:
  http://www.dot.state.fl.us/statemaintenanceoffice/aah-agreement.pdf
  Then this:
"If you would like more information on how you can become involved as a volunteer with the Adopt-A-Highway Program, please call FDOT's Adopt-A-Highway Coordinator in Tallahassee at 1-800-BAN-LITT(er) or 1-800-226-5488."

  So, it appears that a "representative of the group" has to provide
contact info.  (who is that? Would they support  this project? How many people would be committed to do this quarterly (4 times a year at least)?
  This might be more in tune with a 'local club'.....maybe not an Internet group?
  It would be a good way to get this groups names out....
  any more input?

                Chuck

Ida_Mann

I'd be willing to be the contact to the state on this, and I'll ask Mr. Bones to take a look at this thread and see what he says about using the website's name on this venture.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Honda328i

In the not to recent past, we did have a cleanup ride at Rodman Dam.  The Grizz and co. organized this and had an ATV trailer and flags with ATVFlorida on it.  The forest service welcomed our coming, but could not provide any dumpsters.  Not to be daunted, we still hauled out 2-3 pickup truck loads of trash including a TV, gas grill, VCR, a chair, old auto seats, 1000 bottles of beer (empty), dirty diapers  :Dead.gif (yes!) cans and other assorted rubbish.

Sure do miss you Grizz for times like these  :(   Grizz or no Grizz, yes, we certainly should do this again!!!
[url="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg"]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg[/url]

Chuck_Norris

Quote from: chuck (roast) on November 30, 2005, 01:33:39 AM
OK...found this link to an 'adopt a highway' form:
  http://www.dot.state.fl.us/statemaintenanceoffice/aah-agreement.pdf
  Then this:
"If you would like more information on how you can become involved as a volunteer with the Adopt-A-Highway Program, please call FDOT's Adopt-A-Highway Coordinator in Tallahassee at 1-800-BAN-LITT(er) or 1-800-226-5488."

  So, it appears that a "representative of the group" has to provide
contact info.  (who is that? Would they support  this project? How many people would be committed to do this quarterly (4 times a year at least)?
  This might be more in tune with a 'local club'.....maybe not an Internet group?
  It would be a good way to get this groups names out....
  any more input?

                Chuck

I am all for the clean up process. but here is the concern. as we all know when we got together for the rodman rides we were under fire about permits for and organzied group ride over a certain amount of people. are we actually going to take the stand and consicer ourselves and organized group? only to be subject to more scruteny by the federal burocrats.

Ida_Mann

Quote from: Honda328i on November 30, 2005, 03:33:24 AM
In the not to recent past, we did have a cleanup ride at Rodman Dam.  The Grizz and co. organized this and had an ATV trailer and flags with ATVFlorida on it.  The forest service welcomed our coming, but could not provide any dumpsters.  Not to be daunted, we still hauled out 2-3 pickup truck loads of trash including a TV, gas grill, VCR, a chair, old auto seats, 1000 bottles of beer (empty), dirty diapers  :Dead.gif (yes!) cans and other assorted rubbish.

Sure do miss you Grizz for times like these  :(   Grizz or no Grizz, yes, we certainly should do this again!!!

yeah, and next time I promise not to blow another head gasket in my quad so I can participate more than pulling it off the trailer and taking pictures ;-)

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

themensh

>>we all know when we got together for the rodman rides we were under fire about permits for and organzied group ride over a certain amount of people. are we actually going to take the stand and consicer ourselves and organized group? only to be subject to more scruteny by the federal burocrats. <<

    That is why I suggested going by the 'adopt a highway' plan.....
as far as I know, there are no permits and no limit how many can pick up trash.  There is an age limit....and as far as 'taking a stand to consider ourselves an organized group'.....LOL....that will be a stretch!
    Federal scrutiny?   Hey.....we will be picking up litter. Not forming a government. I don't see them wanting to tap my phone over this.
    If you just want to pick up trash...fine.   I WANT the SIGN MAN!   LOL
    I want people to know that this group.......organized as we are..........
are the ones doing the work.         ATV'rs!.......Since I live closer to Ocala Forest.....I can volunteer time. People at Croom could do the same........
   Scotsmore? Pitch in.     This idea may not even pan out...
   I just put an idea out here. 
   I am ready to pick up litter......but I WANT THE SIGN!!!!!!      LOL :P

                   Chuck

Ole Guy

2005 Polaris 500HO


The important Suff is what you learn AFTER you know it all !!!!!    I knew it all when I was 50

doc700polaris

hey chuck or anyone who can help!
I know you don't me and I am new to this site, but I have a few ideas about your/our or the clean up efforts for the ONF.
I called in a card of mine today and left a message with a friend of mine in Tall.
Maybe he can help us get a clean up effort in motion,

What area/s do we the people feel would benefit from the clean up the most?

How many people do we feel might show up to help?

What week-end( give a few) dates, would be good?

Who would be best to represent our group if a meeting, phone, letter needed to be given out for contact? (I see a lot of Mr. Bones?  ) But again I am new and need some help here from anyone?
And what problems have been the most predominate  to hinder the clean up efforts in the past?

Please help, so I can give the most accurate information as possible.
Lee

KD 428

HONDA CRF450R

themensh

>>What about adopt a mile of forest? <<

   I think that since SR 40 runs 'through' the forest......and allot of motorists travel it from Ormond/Daytona Beach to Ocala (city) on to Gainesville,
  Our groups name on a highway sign saying we adopted it and us cleaning up two miles (at least).....would be good for ATV'ers.
  Cleaning up interior forest trails is a good idea also.......but I feel sticking to the main road in this effort will have the biggest impact.
   Since allot of users from this site, use BIG SCRUB and the SEED ORCHARD...and both roads to them are within a 1/4 mile of each other..
  Maybe a mile on either side of NF 588/NF 88 would be a good start.

4 goals come to mind with this.

1. clean up litter.
2. Show ATV'ers (and this website VIA the sign)) in a good light.
3. ride our ATV's.
4. Gather people with a commom interest
and advance our sport/hobby.

    About joining with another group......it sounds like a good idea, but I think 'this' group (us) would easily get lost in joining another club.  God to have many more people to pick up litter........but the recognition of 'us' doing it would benefit this website.
   If we can get this thing going (adopting a highway portion)..then maybe another club/group could adopt an ajoining part of the highway?
   I want THE SIGN!!!   LOL

            Chuck

1slowfox

I know this is kinda old but what happened to Grizz ? haven't been around in say  oh 6 months ..


Ed
I <3 Fiberglass !