Cleaning your ATV...

Started by Warrior, August 10, 2004, 04:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warrior

I'm a new ATV Owner/Rider, I went riding with a few friends on 8/1 for the first time, went to River Ranch. At first, when I bought the ATV I was a little nervous, about the expense and if I had made the right decision. Let me tell you, it was a blast and was WELL worth the money...

Now, the question I have, does anyone have a suggestion on what product to use to clean the ATV after a muddy day? I know that you have to use plastic friendly products in order to maintain the plastics looking nice. I've heard that it is a good idea to use WD40 on the plastic, others say don't cause it dries it with time. What products do you recommend to use to give it that nice new look again and to maintain it looking nice after every wash. Is it safe to use a pressure washer, I know to take it easy on the decals, but what else should I look for?

Thanks for your time, and also congrats on such a nice web site and great forums...
'04 Bombardier Outlander XT 400 H.O.

o4250

i use something called s-100 it works good but you only get at harley davidson shops :o

ucfneed2ride

I use a pressure washer, i havent seen any negative effects yet. Im not sure what to recommend using to wash it with...i just use the soap that i was my suv with.
[url="http://www.islandnet.com/~rescuetees/rtcom/images/patches/pa250-l.jpg"]http://www.islandnet.com/~rescuetees/rtcom/images/patches/pa250-l.jpg[/url]

sk8r_dude

One of the electric pressure washers work great and are easy and quiet. My Husky 1650 has enough pressure to clean quick but not enough pressure to damage anything. Great for boats also.
05 Grizzly 660, 2500 winch, Garmin 276c GPS, Quad Boss trunk

05 Grizzly 660 Camo, 2500 winch, Quad Boss trunk 

[url="http://www.beachinlineskates.com/"]http://www.beachinlineskates.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.123skate.com/"]http://www.123skate.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.store.yahoo.com/beachinlineskates/"]http://www.store.yahoo.com/beachinlineskates/[/url]
[url="http://www.authorized-sunglasses-watches.com"]http://www.authorized-sunglasses-watches.com[/url]

Mars

A small pressure washer is good. S-100 or Simple green works great.
 I just hose mine off, cover every thing in Simple Green, hose it off, reg car wash soap and a mitt for the tight spots.
 I blow it off with a leaf blower then a little STP son-of-a-gun on the plastic.
Note. ArmorAll dries out your plastics, Castrol Super Clean is too alkiline (sp?) and stains aluminium.
04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.

Warrior

#5
Thanks Mars... Where can I pick up this Simple Green stuff, is it plastic safe? How long do you let that sit before you hose it off?. What else do you do to it once you spray it with that, let it air dry?, do you have to make sure it only covers the plastic or any other special considerations?

UPDATE: I just found out that "Son-of-a-gun" has a bunch of products, which one were you talking about?

Thanks again for your help...



QuoteA small pressure washer is good. S-100 or Simple green works great.
 I just hose mine off, cover every thing in Simple Green, hose it off, reg car wash soap and a mitt for the tight spots.
 I blow it off with a leaf blower then a little STP son-of-a-gun on the plastic.
Note. ArmorAll dries out your plastics, Castrol Super Clean is too alkiline (sp?) and stains aluminium.
'04 Bombardier Outlander XT 400 H.O.

Bigwilly

simple green is the way to go wont cloud rims & stuff. home depot has it i mix it 50-50 with water. Buy the $10 lawn sprayer mix it in there pump it up & go works great i leave it sit about 5-10 mins & hit it with the power washer Good luck willy & welcome to the sport !!
Ronald Reagan once said "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."


bigbird

big willy you should know if anyone does and you have the wheels to prove it lol ;D and thanks for promoting the home depot #1 in the home improvement bussiness :D
2004 Honda Rancher ES 4X4
1995 Yamaha Banshee
1999 Yamaha Blaster




South-_Rider

I have to try this simple green stuff, i have heard good stuff about it.
1997 Banshee-FMF Fatty's with silencers, Boost Bootle. JUNGLE JUICE

Warrior

#9
You know, I almost bought it the other day, but I got wary when I saw a caution statement that said not to spray on instrument panels and such.. Even if you don't directly hit it with the sprayer some is always likely to hit it... Should I be worried?, if it is not safe for the instrument panel, is it really safe for the rest of the plastics? is it really necessary to dilute it?

Is this simply green stuff enough for the whole bike? or is it recommended to use a plastic cleaner and protector...?

Thanks all...

QuoteI have to try this simple green stuff, i have heard good stuff about it.
'04 Bombardier Outlander XT 400 H.O.

rtm3592

QuoteYou know, I almost bought it the other day, but I got wary when I saw a caution statement that said not to spray on instrument panels and such.. Even if you don't directly hit it with the sprayer some is always likely to hit it... Should I be worried?, if it is not safe for the instrument panel, is it really safe for the rest of the plastics? is it really necessary to dilute it?

Is this simply green stuff enough for the whole bike? or is it recommended to use a plastic cleaner and protector...?

Thanks all...

i use it all the time on mine i have no problem with it on plastics or what ever
Red & white Shee
Shearer inframe Pipes
K&N clamp on Filter
16/39T
32.5/370 jets
Boyesen Reeds
Jugs Port & Pollish
ada racing head 18cc
More Mods in the Works

Bigwilly

ya birdman the depot is great as long as you try to get a job there ( sorry azz people  ) lowe's got better prices im out
Ronald Reagan once said "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."


kawGIRL

Simple Green does not work with the mud I get into [smiley=Tongue.gif]
For years we have been using Greased Lighting! It works awesome!  The only thing is not to let it sit on Aluminum for more the 10 seconds.  I spray it all over on EVERYTHING and the dirt and mud rinses right off!  Never have to touch it with a sponge.  Then I spray it with a spray wax while it's wet and dry with a imitation shamee.
After the bath I spray it down with Silicone Spray and WD-40.
Good-To-Go [smiley=Cool.gif]
I have had people ask me "Don't you ever get this thing dirty?"

Also about the pressure washer thing ....be very careful around any rubber boots etc, especially if you have a Polaris [smiley=Wink.gif] Have heard stories about that.
07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

Ida_Mann

Simple Green is very safe for almost everything,,,,we had a salesman come to a place I worked at to sell this stuff and demostrated how safe it was to the environment by drinking some of it straight from the bottle,,,then using the same bottle to clean part of our building on the outside.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

yunt2ride

QuoteSimple Green is very safe for almost everything,,,,we had a salesman come to a place I worked at to sell this stuff and demostrated how safe it was to the environment by drinking some of it straight from the bottle,,,then using the same bottle to clean part of our building on the outside.

Id@

I wonder what the long term affect to his liver will be. Will he still be working for the same company or not. If not then workers comp may not pay later. HEHE
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

Warrior

Thanks Kawgirl, I've also been told that WD-40 over the long term will dry and crack the plastics... The other day when I went to buy the Simple Green, I noticed there are SOO many plastic cleaners and protectants its like nuts trying to decide what is best...

Thanks again...

QuoteSimple Green does not work with the mud I get into [smiley=Tongue.gif]
For years we have been using Greased Lighting! It works awesome!  The only thing is not to let it sit on Aluminum for more the 10 seconds.  I spray it all over on EVERYTHING and the dirt and mud rinses right off!  Never have to touch it with a sponge.  Then I spray it with a spray wax while it's wet and dry with a imitation shamee.
After the bath I spray it down with Silicone Spray and WD-40.
Good-To-Go [smiley=Cool.gif]
I have had people ask me "Don't you ever get this thing dirty?"

Also about the pressure washer thing ....be very careful around any rubber boots etc, especially if you have a Polaris [smiley=Wink.gif] Have heard stories about that.
'04 Bombardier Outlander XT 400 H.O.

Mars

Hey Warrior.
 Sorry I did not get back to you sooner...Been a bit crazy around here.
The STP Son of a Gun is the regular yellow (automotive) bottle that has been around for years.
 I buy S.G. buy the gallon at Home Depot. I leave it on full strength on the bike for 3~5 minutes. I try not to use too much on clear plastic but I have never had a problem on my street bikes in 8 years.
On the WD~40 on plastic..... The new formula should be ok. The old formula (40% kerosene I've been told) was not good for plastic.
04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.

kawGIRL

QuoteThanks Kawgirl, I've also been told that WD-40 over the long term will dry and crack the plastics... The other day when I went to buy the Simple Green, I noticed there are SOO many plastic cleaners and protectants its like nuts trying to decide what is best...

Thanks again...


I don't use WD-40 on my plastics :o Only my chain etc. and the silicone spray on EVERYTHING UNDERNEATH!
If I want to polish I (steel) Jeff's S-100 WAX  :-X  He gets it at a Motorcycle Acc. Store for his ZRX and says it's too expensive to use on the quads  :(  [smiley=Wink.gif] LOL
Just kidding S-100 is Awesome Stuff!  They also make a great spray cleaner.

Hey I just noticed I'm a "Supreme Member" WooHoo
07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

Warrior

Thanks for the info Kawgirl... and congrats on making Supreme... How is that done, by the amount of posts?

Laters...

QuoteI don't use WD-40 on my plastics :o Only my chain etc. and the silicone spray on EVERYTHING UNDERNEATH!
If I want to polish I (steel) Jeff's S-100 WAX  :-X  He gets it at a Motorcycle Acc. Store for his ZRX and says it's too expensive to use on the quads  :(  [smiley=Wink.gif] LOL
Just kidding S-100 is Awesome Stuff!  They also make a great spray cleaner.

Hey I just noticed I'm a "Supreme Member" WooHoo
'04 Bombardier Outlander XT 400 H.O.

kawGIRL

07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

bbf

i use sp88 takes eveything off

Da_Mtg_Man

Quotei use sp88 takes eveything off

Never heard of it. Is it safe on bumpers and stuff? Also where do you get it?
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

Raptor1

is that decresser i super purple or something like that and a lite pressure cleaning then soap  and works great for me  then i use armorall the tire form stuff on my plastics nice and shine and lasts for a while..... and spray the engine with wd40 so it shinny and clean
2001 blue yamaha Raptor
lrd full pipe k&n filter and front sproket and lots more to come
also
2000 polaris 335 utility quad
26 inch itp 589's all the way around ,jet kits ,upgraded secondary clutch spring ,and full super trapp exhaust
(a.k.a the german tank)

robo02cop

#23
i bought the simple green in the big bottle at the grocery store and I just pull out the little gimmick on the sprayer so that it foams!  I spray my bike with water cover it in simple green let sit for 3-5 minutes spray off with a pressure washer....just be careful around your stickers (especially ride area stickers)!!!  I then dry and use a spray cleaner/wax that you can buy at any motorcycle shop....just ask the guys there which stuff they use on their bikes and atv's!!!!
04 Red and White Yamaha Banshee ~ Traded
04 Blue Yamaha R1
1984 Honda ATC 110 3 wheeler
1985 Honda ATC 125 4 wheeler

Hollywood

I also use Simple Green on the rare occasion I actually wash my quad.  ;) Just wet it down, spray the SG all over, scrubb it with a sponge/brush and rinse it off.  Then I use an aerosol all purpose polish that I have a case of to shine up the plastic.

I've used Simple Green for years to clean anything and everything I own. I mostly use it full strength and have never seen it damage anything from stainless steel, ceramic coated headers, paint and even on my leather interior. It's like liquid gold.  ;D
'99 4??EX: Laeger +2's, Elka Resi's, Tag bars, AC ProPeg, Sparks X6 exhaust, G-Force axle, Burgard stem/carrier, 250r Hood, Klaw MXR's, ATP Racing engine, LSR, MSR, PEP and the list goes on.

'03 Honda 250EX: Yea it's decked out too!

'03 Yamaha Blaster: Work in pr