Networking problems, please help!

Started by Dr.Dirt, November 15, 2005, 08:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Dirt

I just got cable internet today and it was working fine on my computer. When I went to network my moms computer and mine together the internet stopped working? I followed Linksys's instructions exactly and the LED for internet is glowing and I still get no connection on either computer. I have the network cable plugged into my computer and I have the wireless network adapter hooked up to my moms computer and it gets the signal but no internet. Whats going on?  ???

clancooler

did you clone the mac address that was on the computer that the internet originally setup on to the router?
2004 DVX 400
full White Bros Pro Alum. Exhaust
Oneal Bars
Honda Throttle

Dr.Dirt

How do I do that? I know the MAC adress but I dont know how to clone it.

clancooler

i have a d-link router, so its different. but try this

1.Go to the router setup (ex: 192.168.0.1)

2.Then enter your name and password, but if you dont have one then it should not need one.

3.then search around the setups till you find it

last resort is to call the cable company and ask them to reset the system and change the mac to the routers.
2004 DVX 400
full White Bros Pro Alum. Exhaust
Oneal Bars
Honda Throttle

Ida_Mann

ouch,,,,,,first off, more info needed.

what kind of internet service is it, if it's America Online,,,,read no further and call customer no-service.

if Earthlink, RoadRunner, or anything other than AOL, read on to the next post.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Dr.Dirt

I will try that next if ATVtrailer cant help me fix it on AIM. Thanks for your help guys....It is Road Runner.

clancooler

hes got a netgear router, but your router should clone the mac address automatically.
2004 DVX 400
full White Bros Pro Alum. Exhaust
Oneal Bars
Honda Throttle

Ida_Mann

What kind of router specifically is it, you said Link-sys, but what model?

What kind of operating system are you running on both of the puters?

You weren't very clear, you said mom's puter had a wireless connection but no internet, and you had a cable plugged into your puter,,,,do you have the internet when your puter is plugged into the Link-sys router?

Check this first,  go into the settings page of the router(Link-sys) and find out if it has "DHCP" turned "ON" or "Enabled", this is a must for a small network.

Now, you need to find out if both of your puters are set to receive their network information via DHCP,,,,assuming you are running either Win2000 or WinXP, from the start button -> settings -> Network Connections, then right-click on whatever "Local Area Connection" in plugged in and select "Properties" from the menu.  Scroll down in the window to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and left-click on it once then click on the button below it called "Properties".  If both of the fields you see on the screen that comes up are selected to receive information automatically,,,then that is correct for this configuration.

if all of that doesn't work, give me a PM and I'll give you my phone number for a call.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Dr.Dirt

Thanks Ida. At first Road Runner would only work if I had it directly plugged into the eithernet plug on my computer. When I would plug it into the Linksys it would detect it was plugged in but I was unable to get any internet service.  I found out the Linksys was not working at first because I had installed the software for it to run off of a Static IP and I guess that did not work. I selected another setting for it to run off of and it worked. I am not sure of the setting I selected, but I didn't have to fill in any info for it because it said it was optional and then it started working. The Model for the router is the WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband router. Now I can't figure out how to get the internet on my moms computer. It does the same thing, I have detected the Broadband router and linked into it but it says unable to get internet. We are both running Windows XP. I am gonna try what you said and see if I can't get it to work. If not I will PM you.

ppark350se

i have road runner and to set up our network all i did was plug the modem into the router and the comps into the router and it works now we are all wired but we also have a wireless and we just plug and play with that. but not sure if this helps. lol
[url="http://r.yuwie.com/thecrappyhornet"]http://r.yuwie.com/thecrappyhornet[/url]

Ida_Mann

Linksys is good for home routers,,,especially since they were bought out by Cisco,,,,there are ways to lock down your wireless connection and I suggest you do it, give me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com