Home made ramps? Has anyone done this?

Started by Old_School, November 09, 2005, 09:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old_School

I tired of borrow my buddies aluminum ramps and plus they are only 6ft long to it's kinda steep to load on my F150. I was thinking of getting 2 pieces of wood (2x8's) and making my own. My question is that where do you get those fittings that you bolt to the ends that help butt the wood to the edge of the tailgate. I'm tired of lifting 400lbs everytime I go riding when I don't have my buddies ramps. Thanks.   -Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

yunt2ride

Tractor supply or most any place that sells mowers.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

Brute Force

A friend of mine made wood ramps for the same reason and he nailed roof shingles to the ramps to help the tires grip better when loading.
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4x4, HMF pipe, dyno jet, HP clutch, HP Belt, 2inch wheel spacers, 28 inch ITP 589, 2 inch lift, Bayou Snorkle, ICM Power Pak, Stereo.

2003 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4, 2 inch lift, 27 inch ITP 589, Home made snorkle.

wilburz

I like to roof shingle idea. I used 1 inch wide no-slip tape on mine but I think the roof shingles would be easier.

I got the ramp kit at discount auto parts for 25.00. I think home depot sells them also.
1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler

Old_School

Cool Thanks guys. I'll be fabbing up some this weekend. I like the shingles idea.
-Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

CABLEGUY1

Ramp kit was $20.00 at Auto Zone. I made a few home made ramps in the past. On one set I screwed left over diamond plating to them and never had a problem with slippage.

dvx400#1


Chillinthemost

Get the ramp kit at home depot or where ever. Use 8ft. pressure treated lumber and dont cut the length, I ride my bike into the back of my F350 with 4.5 in lift and 35in. tires.  For non skid, I had some left over house paint. Mix in some playground sand with the paint and paint it on. I even sprinkled on more sand while the paint was wet. If you try to use the boards without some type of non skid, you will bust your azz.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

Old_School

Quote from: Chillinthemost on November 09, 2005, 03:47:30 PM
Get the ramp kit at home depot or where ever. Use 8ft. pressure treated lumber and dont cut the length, I ride my bike into the back of my F350 with 4.5 in lift and 35in. tires.  For non skid, I had some left over house paint. Mix in some playground sand with the paint and paint it on. I even sprinkled on more sand while the paint was wet. If you try to use the boards without some type of non skid, you will bust your azz.

That's a good idea. I was gonna do the shingle idea but after thinking it would add a decent amount of weight. Not that it matters or anything. But paint with sand would be cool. Can you take a guess on what colors my ramps will be?  :D  -Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

02_Super_Tacoma

02 Supercharged Tacoma

dvx400#1

i got some if you want to try them and see them

1slowfox

I used 2x8 scaffolding(sp) its a piece of wood with an aluminum stuff ontop for grip  just put some spikes and drilled small hole in the be liner and that held ..

Ed
I <3 Fiberglass !

PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

Lowes sells 90" aluminum ramps. They come with straps attached that hook up to your truck. Once loaded, the ramps slide beneath the ATV. They work well for us, although we have to winch the ATVs in/out because our trucks are lifted.

themensh

Is your truck LIFTED?
  I bought some 'tri-fold' ramps at Pep Boys and I load my 2" lifted Grizzly (with 27" wheels) OK.
  Those wooden home made ramps are OK I guess......I have never used them.but my aluminum ramps work fine   (no shingles).

   Chuck

Southern4x4

[><]Southern by the grace of God[><]

rappy350

I got a great deal on mine from atvramps.com

  if you end up making the wood ones put a piece of rope or a strap and attach it to the ramp. use this to keep the ramp from slipping off the truck.
2005 Raptor 350(mine)
Hot cams camshaft
K&N High Flow Air filter
Dyno-Jet stage one jet kit
Razrs on the back
2005 Kodiak 400 w/winch(dad's)
2005 Wolverine 4x4 (brother's)
Big Red (sister in-laws)

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com