What does Jet Kit really do??

Started by Loven It, October 25, 2005, 03:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loven It

Might sound like a stupid question, but I have gotten a lot of conflicting information and not sure I understand the correct purpose. What does a jet kit do for the quad?
99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

[url="https://www.nationalmssociety.org/"]https://www.nationalmssociety.org/[/url]/FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT

kodiak-jason

In easy to under stand term's. It flows more air and fuel , so you can get the most out of a high flow exhaust and air filter . Jason
"I Can Fix It" 1998 kodiak lots of stuff,1995 king quad lots of stuff,2002 recon little bit of stuff,2001 breeze just tires,1985 atc 70 stock,1990 zuma modded,1995 yzf 600 pipe & power pack,2007 zzr600 carbs shimmed & slip on,2007 crf 150 stock

Chillinthemost

It actually flows more fuel. If you increase your airflow with exhaust or intake mods then you must also increase fuel flow, which is done with larger carb jets.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

Da_Mtg_Man

Quote from: Chillinthemost on October 25, 2005, 08:36:04 PM
It actually flows more fuel. If you increase your airflow with exhaust or intake mods then you must also increase fuel flow, which is done with larger carb jets.

Chillin has hit the nail on the head.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

dynodon

Chillin is right,  His YFZ flies!!!!, I am sure he will answer questions if needed Chillin is a great person.
What kind of quad is it, I am sure if I dont know what to do some one will post for you.
The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it

Chillinthemost

Yea, it makes sense. There is a saying that I live by, " If it aint broke, keep on fixing it till it is broke" ;D
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

The hyrbid kid

i know jet kits help alot i guess i really didnt get a kit cobryn came over with his little tray of jet's.. within 20 mins we had the air filter lid off and a 182 jet in it and my trx was flying...
07 CHEVY 2500HD DURMAX LMM 4X4..
06 TRX450R FULL WALSH  AND AXIS... SOON TO BE WHITE..
03 CRF450EX FULL HOUSER AND AXIS.. HYBRID BABY..

dynodon

Yes , they are the same thing essentially.
But as Chillin said previously, you add more fuel, you have to add more air, & or exhaust, or it wont help out.
When I jetted my DS, I also went to a K&N air filter, dual exhaust, and ron woods Cdi box.              All bases covered----- more air, more exhaust flow, and higher Rpm limiter.
    Hope this is helping, and not confusing?!?!
The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it

jwscroll

A rebuild kit and a jet kit are two different things. The rebuild kit requires the carb to be almost completely disassembled and cleaned and the kit usualy comes with new gaskets and float valve but not new jets.
If the bike sat around forever or has seen alot of racing fuel you might consider rebuilding, if not just do a jet kit and change your airflow and you should be somewhat impressed by the power gains.
Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating

Truegrit

Improved throttle response as well. Yu can decrease your fuel w/ a jet kit if you desired. For instace, the "thinner"air at higher altitudes. It simply increases the carbs adjustability.
'05 Honda Forman 500 ES
HMF Utility Exhaust, Dynojet Kit
Uni-Filter, Clutch Kit
26" Outlaw/Mudzilla combo on ITPs
[url="http://www.hondaforeman.com/"]http://www.hondaforeman.com/[/url]

wilburz

i rejeted my my bike and saw a modest gain in power and speed. only added a k&n airfilter and needle and jet. kept the lid on the air box too. have not had any problems except I wish it would go even faster.
1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler

Chuck_Norris


Da_Mtg_Man

Quote from: Chillinthemost on October 26, 2005, 07:20:29 PM
Yea, it makes sense. There is a saying that I live by, " If it aint broke, keep on fixing it till it is broke" ;D

How true is that brother? How true is that?
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

Honda250ex

I dont know about, jetting that much. I was wondering how much it was going to be... like $50....$100  for an exhaust and an air flilter.
'03 F-250 7.3L
Lawn Service 4Sale w/equipment!!
98% of all ATV'ers FLOOR their quads if your the 2% then your GGGGGGGGGGGGGG@@@@@@@@@@yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy