GSP puppy rescued

Started by GSPKurt, October 19, 2005, 02:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSPKurt

Dog Lovers-

I got an email last night from another breed rescue person- there is a German Shorthaired Pointer pup in a kill shelter and today is her last day. After a few quick phone calls, she has been rescued and is at a vet for evaluation. In a couple of days I will know more, but here is the upshot- I will need to place this puppy soon, as I leave for an out of state hunting trip in 2 weeks, and Stitch is going with me. If anyone is familiar with bird dogs, and is interested in adopting this girl, let me know. As soon as I have more info on her health and outlook, I will post it. Standard rescue adoption requirements and fee applies. From what I am hearing, the adoption fee won't cover the medical expenses, so we'll probably lose money on her, unless a generous adopter is found. I won't elaborate on her medical issues, other that that if they can be corrected, it won't be an ongoing problem.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

ZRIDER

Kurt, please post pics as soon as you can.  I am interested in her.  I am a bird hunter, and have a black lab now.  Would like to get another field pup.

Thanks,
Jason

GSPKurt

Jason-

Thank you for your response.

I would caution against adopting a rescue dog expecting a field dog. The probability is very high that she won't hunt. Are you willing to keep her as a family pet if she won't? I have 4 bird dogs right now that won't hunt. Three were rescues, one I paid a LOT of money for, and the breeder said he'd take her back, but I knew he would just kill her, so I kept her. What usually happens is, a guy takes a dog from rescue, and when it won't hunt, he either turns it back in to rescue or dumps it at a shelter or worse...
I am not saying that is what YOU would do, but that is a very common scenario. If I thought she would hunt, I would keep her, but I have 5 dogs now and dog food and vet bills don't go down. It is easiest to get a puppy adopted, because they are so darn cute, and females don't mark their territory. I will post photos as soon as I can get good ones. She's not very photogenic right now.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

mikeE36

good job, i really like people who rescue animals.

GSPKurt

The high I get when I take a dog that was scheduled to be killed in days or even hours, and place it in a loving home where it is spoiled rotten is better than ANY drug in the world. :D
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

rappy350

 I have two dogs and love them I wish I could take another in.
2005 Raptor 350(mine)
Hot cams camshaft
K&N High Flow Air filter
Dyno-Jet stage one jet kit
Razrs on the back
2005 Kodiak 400 w/winch(dad's)
2005 Wolverine 4x4 (brother's)
Big Red (sister in-laws)

GSPKurt

It was a false alarm. The dog is not a German Shorthaired Pointer or even a mixed-breed GSP. She is safe and receiving medical treatment for her ailments, and will be adopted quickly.

Anyone know what kind of dog this is?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

mikeE36

Quote from: GSPKurt on October 21, 2005, 07:44:49 PM
It was a false alarm. The dog is not a German Shorthaired Pointer or even a mixed-breed GSP. She is safe and receiving medical treatment for her ailments, and will be adopted quickly.

Anyone know what kind of dog this is?

it could be a mix. I see some lab in it.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com