QT needs help w/ 424 install

Started by qt314nfla, October 06, 2005, 12:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qt314nfla

I've had this warn 424 in the back of my SUV now for 3 months.  For those that don't know what it is....it unlocks the front differential so I can use the quad in 2 or 4wd.

I'm somewhat mechanical but this one has me a bit nervous to do on my own.  Is there anyone in the Sarasota, Bradenton, or even w/in 30-45 minutes that knows anything about this and can help me install it this weekend? 

Thanks.

kodiak-jason

Hey QT, if you were closer to Merritt Island I'd install it for you , the hardest part of the job is mounting the cable as straigt as possible. no sharp bends.
"I Can Fix It" 1998 kodiak lots of stuff,1995 king quad lots of stuff,2002 recon little bit of stuff,2001 breeze just tires,1985 atc 70 stock,1990 zuma modded,1995 yzf 600 pipe & power pack,2007 zzr600 carbs shimmed & slip on,2007 crf 150 stock

kodiak-jason

I guess everybody is afraid to respond to this thread. Jason
"I Can Fix It" 1998 kodiak lots of stuff,1995 king quad lots of stuff,2002 recon little bit of stuff,2001 breeze just tires,1985 atc 70 stock,1990 zuma modded,1995 yzf 600 pipe & power pack,2007 zzr600 carbs shimmed & slip on,2007 crf 150 stock

qt314nfla

#3
Going to 05greengriz sat to get it done.  Thanks.  I don't think most ppl know what a 424 kit is.

jwscroll

Hey QT. I could do it for you if you were closer to Brevard. Did mine and my partners, you're gonna love bein in 2 wheel drive. I thought the hardest part was placing the strap that holds the 424 in place. Make sure you get the recommeded grease before starting the job. Save your old drive shaft and parts in a big ziplock so you can take your 424 out should you chose to sell later.
Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating

SSRancher

The hardest part on my install was pulling the front diff far enough out so I can slip in the 424 select. I've had it for a year now and it's by far the best mod I did to the bike next to the tires. Hope everything works out for ya.
03' Rancher with lift, 26" vamps, clutch kit, jet kit,  warn un-locker, ramsey 2500lb, front spool locker, k&n filter, conferderate flag
98' Chevy S-10 4x4

qt314nfla

IT'S FINALLY DONE!!!!   I've had this thing in my trunk for 3 months now and saved to buy it for several months prior.  05greengriz has it wheeliing like a champ.  I still need to work on it.  But it should finally water wheelie w/ no prob.  Thanks for the offers for help.

Art thanks for the time spent and the time going out w/ your family and friends after.  Can't wait to really try it next weekend!

customrubicon

Glad to hear that it is done. It was the best mod for my quad !!!! I love being able to go into 2 wheel drive.
[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/customrubicon/fmrsig-2.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/customrubicon/fmrsig-2.jpg[/url]

2003 rubicon
2002 kingquad
2004 LRX 90
2004 LRX 50
1979 bronco
2004 rhino

Qdawg76

Quote from: customrubicon on October 11, 2005, 01:55:11 AM
Glad to hear that it is done. It was the best mod for my quad !!!! I love being able to go into 2 wheel drive.
Whats 2 wheel Drive???  ;) isnt that what them sport quads run? lol
05 ATP 330
08 Polaris RZR 800
06 Predator 90
07 Polaris Outlaw 525

enniehall

Intresting I have never heard of one of these kits before (I'm new at this).  So this kit will make my all time 4x4 be able to be a 2x4?  That could be alot of fun.  Can you tell me more or give me a web site QT.
Mud-It's like whiskey to a drunk or poker to a gambler.

GSPKurt

Check the Warn website. QT can tell you where she bought it.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

qt314nfla

Quote from: enniehall on October 14, 2005, 06:30:01 PM
Intresting I have never heard of one of these kits before (I'm new at this).  So this kit will make my all time 4x4 be able to be a 2x4?  That could be alot of fun.  Can you tell me more or give me a web site QT.

I bought a Warn 424 and yes that's exactly what it does.  They are quad specific down to the year to be sure to check what you need.  I found the cheapest price on e-bay.  Including shipping it was under 200.  And it does make them fun.  I can wheelie mine easier now as well as water wheelie it.  And it power slides around the corners like a sport quad.  Well, as close as I can get it to.  It's a blast.

jwscroll

If your into quads for fun, this is the mod for you. I put one on my Rancher and when I start to get stuck cause I'm in two wheel, I reach forward push the switch and the front end explodes with water or mud flyin everywhere. Then I get to the other side and switch it back to two wheel and spray a rooster tail over whomever is left in the hole. ;)
Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating