JEEP advice?? Towing capacity

Started by stump66, October 11, 2005, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stump66

Hey guys, momma is hell bent on a jeep wrangler. Only thing is I would need to give up one of my vehicles that tows with NO problem. I am very well informed in the automotive field but woul like some real world advice. If I was to get a Wrangler 6cyl auto how much could I expect to tow, I'm willing to beef the suspension and trans cooler but my concerns are the eng/trans. I have a 16ft trailer w/3lrg and one small quad allong with gear. I am thinking "no way"  but if anyone has advice I am willing to listen. We don't make long long trips maybe 2hrs one way . :H
GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!

Da_Mtg_Man

Thats definitely pushing it. I would say if you were to beef up the suspension a bit it might work but jeeps are pretty light and thats alot of trailer weight.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

Old_School

It depends also on the gearing. My friends dad has a jeep cherokee and pull and 24ft boat with it.  You figure the trailer weight is about 1200lbs and each quad is around 400 average so that's 2400lbs plus the little quad. So say at most you're at 3000lbs. Shouldn't be a problem. With my truck(v8 w/ 220hp/280tq) I pull a 2k lb trailer and a 3lb car. So 5k lbs but my manual says for 3.55 gearing I can pull up to 7000lbs but it drops to 5k lbs if I would have had a smaller gear.  -Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

kawGIRL

Jeeps $UCK for towing  :( Sorry  ::)
We took mine up to RR Sunday towing the 7x16 landscape trailer with some 8" PVC pipes and a gate we got like 7 mpg  >:( it cost us 95$ in gas to go up and back.....but I do have some kind of other problem with the Catalytic Converter....it's in the shop today, hopefully that was causing the bad fuel mpg.
It will tow the 20' boat so-so, but we loaded the 2 KQ's on the flat trailer and it did not want to go over 30 MPH and that was pushing it.
Mine is a 04 Rubicon with extra's.
During the Hurricane last year I towed a 5x8 steel trailer with a Kawie 1100 in it to Tampa and it did FINE! So a small trailer and load is OK.
07 Rhino
www.floridamudriders.com

mikeE36

I can see why she wants a wrangler because they are awsome and look really cool. I would say go with the 8cyl rubicon and go with an auto transmission. My friends have jeeps and there cool. I would get one but I need a truck because we have to many cars outside and the truck would replace the trailer in the garage.

stump66

Maybe I'll just keep the gas hog tow rig and get her a toy. At least I know we'll get there safely. Anyone want a sweet IROC 5.7 TUNE PORT?
GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com