Who thinks tether kill switches should come standard from the factory?

Started by backinsaddle, December 09, 2005, 04:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backinsaddle

I know that aftermarket kill switches are relatively cheap, but does any one besides myself think they should be required from the factory?  I mean, almost every other power motor sport has them (jet skis, snowmobiles, etc.)  It just seems to me it's an important safety item, and they should be required from the factory.

klutchbuster400


rappy350

They are stabdard equipment on all small boats I dont see why they dont come on quads
2005 Raptor 350(mine)
Hot cams camshaft
K&N High Flow Air filter
Dyno-Jet stage one jet kit
Razrs on the back
2005 Kodiak 400 w/winch(dad's)
2005 Wolverine 4x4 (brother's)
Big Red (sister in-laws)

Honda250ex

I wish!!! It looks like I am getting one!! $35 is not that bad, but I still wish it came with the QUAD!
'03 F-250 7.3L
Lawn Service 4Sale w/equipment!!
98% of all ATV'ers FLOOR their quads if your the 2% then your GGGGGGGGGGGGGG@@@@@@@@@@yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Pastense

Why doesn't someone validate why ATV's should come standard with one?
"Hard Core" is after a wicked wreck the first thing you ask is "How's my quad?"

gery350

that would take the fun out of it.
you know when you fall and your bike continues in the general direction of the canal and you gotta get up all bruised and bleeding and jump for it before it takes the plunge.
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

svtbolt04

The reason they dont come standard is because no one likes them really. They get in the way and people wouldnt wear it. They are there for saftey incase you are going fast and happen to fal off your bike while it is still moving, this way it will kill the bike before it injurys another person.

If you race, it is somthing that is required to have just for the reason I stated above.
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

klutchbuster400

Quote from: gery350 on December 09, 2005, 07:00:13 PM
that would take the fun out of it.
you know when you fall and your bike continues in the general direction of the canal and you gotta get up all bruised and bleeding and jump for it before it takes the plunge.
that sounds awfully familiar >:D good time.

Mrs.Nightbreed

Well when you fall off and are getting DRAGGED while tangled UNDER the quad a tether is no longer "in the way" because you damn sure can't stop it if your under it! Accidents happen and if you own a quad it is not a matter of "if" you will come off but "when". They are not just to keep it from hurting others if you wreck but yourself too. I learned that lesson the hard way.........

AintSkeered

Can't speak for snowmobiles, but, the reason they have lanyard kill switches on PWCs is because even when you let off of the throttle, the jet pump continues to propel the craft away from the fallen operator until it hits something or gets so far away that the operator can't swim fast enough to catch it. That does not occur with ATVs. As soon as the throttle is released they lose their momentum and will stop a short distance from the operator who can walk to it(if not injured).
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

CAPT69

I had a bad experience with a kill switch, climbing a near vertical sand dune in MI. The 5th or 6th time climbing it I must have leaned to far forward. I bumped the switch off.My 250r went back end over end 5+ times That sucked pretty bad but sometimes you play you pay. I wanted new bars anyway.  :o

themensh

  I don't think quads need tether kill switches.
  besides, if they did come with them...people would just cut the tether off
and leave the 'key' part in the switch.
         
                  Chuck
         

Exmx54

They should come standard on the bikes that come "race ready" like YFZ450's, TRX450R's, and LT-R450's. They're 100% useless on an automatic or semi-automatic. Any quad the manufacturers design for sport riding should have one, but for now, they should at least come on the race bikes.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com