Good Reason To Wear A Helmet!!!

Started by GSPKurt, August 20, 2005, 05:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSPKurt

Here is a very good reason to wear a helmet...
:ouch.gif

[attachment deleted by admin]
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

yunt2ride

Also, good reason to know your terrain and your limits. Was that at Osceola.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

Z400BADBOY

YOSHIMURA EXHAUST
FLY CHROME HANDLEBARS
DYNO JETTED 155
AC NERFS
AC BUMPER
OURY GRIPS
2 STAGE RACE READY FILTER
EHS AIR BOX KIT
REAR HOLESHOTS
ITP RIMS

GSPKurt

Quote from: yunt2ride on August 20, 2005, 06:09:42 PM
Also, good reason to know your terrain and your limits. Was that at Osceola.

I did it Thursday. Went to Osceola with LimoLarry and his wife. Got to the top of that mound and turned to come down. Didn't get the quad square to the hill before starting my descent. Dropped the front right wheel, and it kept coming over. When I felt I wasn't going to save it, I pushed off as hard as I could. Da*n good thing the quad stopped, cause it would have rolled over me. I landed on my left side, hard, and as I rolled to a stop, felt my helmet hit something. Didn't stop to look, but got the hell out of the way, as I didn't know if the Eiger was right behind me!! Luckily, it wasn't. Thought for a minute I broke a rib, but the pain wasn't that severe, so I figure I bruised it. It took all 3 of us to right it. By the time I got home Thursday afternoon, I was extremely sore. Had a hard time falling asleep Thursday night- I couldn't hardly move. :'(  My left arm hurts like he*l, my neck hurts and my ribs on the left side hurt pretty much. Definitely inexperience mixed with stupidity at work there!
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

Ida_Mann

very good reason to have the melon-protector on.

I came down a hill that many are familiar with near big scrub where there was a 3-4' dropoff and the quad ended up nose-diving and me going over the bars,,,,,then the quad came over on top of me.

when I finally was aware of which way was up again, I took my helmet off and looked at a big pile of clay and scratches on one side of the helmet,,,,coulda been my head.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

BIGWORM3699 ( ECP RACING)

East Coast Performance Mini Quad is your
Official Apex and DRR mini quad dealer, For your mini quad performance parts and tuning needs.
2013 polaris ranger camo
KINGQUAD, 29.5 outlaws,snorkled,rad. relocate, clutch mod.
APEX, stage6 RT 70, elka,mallosi overrange,PVL ign.

MrsPureLogic

OMG!!  Glad you're ok.....feel better!   :-\

Numkut

Wow thats crazy, thats a very scary situation. I'd imagine being rolled on by a quad would suck.
YZ250
Grizzly 660 (Dad/Moms ride)
[url="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg"]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg[/url]

GSPKurt

Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

PureLogic

Are you and your wife practicing for stunt doubles? I hope you are feeling better! That ice chest look like it wedged the bike in that position!. Oh and by the way don't be ashamed to go get medical attention! If your hurt and still in pain go get it checked man. Let the professional make the call if you are ok or not. Set the machismo aside and go to the doctor. That is what real men do!! :box.gif
[url="http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6514/fmrsiggi3.jpg"]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6514/fmrsiggi3.jpg[/url]

Southern4x4

glad ur ok hey did u hurt the bike any lol
[><]Southern by the grace of God[><]

GSPKurt

Quote from: PureLogic on August 20, 2005, 10:49:46 PM
Are you and your wife practicing for stunt doubles? I hope you are feeling better! That ice chest look like it wedged the bike in that position!. Oh and by the way don't be ashamed to go get medical attention! If your hurt and still in pain go get it checked man. Let the professional make the call if you are ok or not. Set the machismo aside and go to the doctor. That is what real men do!! :box.gif


THAT'S funny!!! I'm feeling MUCH better today.

The box on the back and the cooler basically supported the quad. There was a small scrape on the front rack, but nothing else!!!
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

susieblazer



  wow I don't feel so bad now.......so glad you are doing good............and ready for Tates Hell............. ;D
2000 Polaris 325 Trail Boss  Red/White/Blue
2005 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer  50 Year Edition Orange
2005 Suzuki LTZ400   White/Blue
Railbuggy Type 4 (4 seater)  Light Burgandy

Qdawg76

Glad to see that the quad didnt follow you down that hill, Could of been alot worse
05 ATP 330
08 Polaris RZR 800
06 Predator 90
07 Polaris Outlaw 525

spacerider

Glad to hear you are ok    -    I want you guys to take it easy so you and donna can make the next ride both in one peice
Ride till you reach the stars.......................

dreth

IF NOT FOR MY HELMET! ID BE A VEGETABLE IN MORE WAYS THAN A SALAD

CABLEGUY1

That proves that the "we are going slow so I don't need a helmet" statement is ridiculous.  Helmets save lives!!!!!! Glad your okay.

TRX450R_Racer

Quote from: CABLEGUY1 on August 21, 2005, 11:48:34 AM
That proves that the "we are going slow so I don't need a helmet" statement is ridiculous.  Helmets save lives!!!!!! Glad your okay.

AMEN to that brother!!!!!!!!!
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

yunt2ride

Quote from: CABLEGUY1 on August 21, 2005, 11:48:34 AM
That proves that the "we are going slow so I don't need a helmet" statement is ridiculous.  Helmets save lives!!!!!! Glad your okay.

It not that he was going slow. Sorry but human error had something to do with it also. I'm glad he had his helmet on but to say that "we are going slow so I don't need a helmet" statement is rediculous, Is rediculous to say also. He said that he was also climbing a hill and did not get square with the top before he started back down. I don't wear one because, I ride flat ground and am always playing in the mud. I do not think that the mud is a place where you should need it.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

qt314nfla

Kurt you and Stitch are some crazy riders.  I'm glad you are ok.  I bet the hospitals love you guys.  She went a few weeks ago and you almost got to make a trip.  Y'all need to slow down.  I do want to ride w/ you both again.  Works best when all 4 are on the ground.

cain73

I used to ride street bikes and helmets saved me more than one time. I won't ride without one or road or off. Besides a wreck like that without a helmet and you could end up like Quad32x  ;D
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

Grizzlygirl

I have to say just one thing we rescued a rider this weekend that was riding on an open trail with sugar sand and probably only going 15 mph. He hit a section of sand wrong and flipped over the bike, and he had the front wheel on top of his head when he was rescued. The rider had no helmet and a nose bleed and two large gashes on top of his head. Took him up to main entrance and had rescue waiting. The rider refused to go to the hospital but probably should have. An accident can happen in any condition to anyone that is why it is called an accident.
Wear a helmet
  Mama Grizz

Eruption

Glad to hear you are OK.  I said it before and I will say it again....you are foolish to not wear a helmet!!!! :banghead.gif    I have had many ute riders tell me that wearing a helmet is not nessesary on a ute because of the slow riding.  This is a perfect example as to why they should

yunt2ride

Quote from: Eruption on August 21, 2005, 04:23:54 PM
Glad to hear you are OK.  I said it before and I will say it again....you are foolish to not wear a helmet!!!! :banghead.gif    I have had many ute riders tell me that wearing a helmet is not nessesary on a ute because of the slow riding.  This is a perfect example as to why they should

And I agree that you should under some circumstances, climbing hills is one of them, in the mud, to eaches own.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

CABLEGUY1

Quote from: yunt2ride on August 21, 2005, 03:39:09 PM
Quote from: CABLEGUY1 on August 21, 2005, 11:48:34 AM
That proves that the "we are going slow so I don't need a helmet" statement is ridiculous.  Helmets save lives!!!!!! Glad your okay.

It not that he was going slow. Sorry but human error had something to do with it also. I'm glad he had his helmet on but to say that "we are going slow so I don't need a helmet" statement is rediculous, Is rediculous to say also. He said that he was also climbing a hill and did not get square with the top before he started back down. I don't wear one because, I ride flat ground and am always playing in the mud. I do not think that the mud is a place where you should need it.
Fair enough but what about the boulder or stump that is hidden under the mud,or the kid riding his dads bike that is way over powered and over sized for him? What happens when he panics and plows into another bike or for some unforseen reason he loses control and can't control this oversized bike? How about the other skilled riders that had a couple of beers and start showing off and run into someones kid that wasn't made to wear a helmet? What about the bike that malfuntions and the throttle sticks or the bike that comes out of a mud hole and the wet brakes fail as he is driving up to the back of his trailer or truck? I stand by my previous statement. You can be the best rider around but sometimes $hit happens. It's free to wear a helmet. Why not be safe rather than sorry? Just my opinion. To each his own. This site won't post pics of riding without a helmet for a reason. It promotes safety. You are definately entitled to your opinion though. It's not a law to wear a helmet it's just COMMON SENSE!

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com